Disturbing article in today's NYT, "Legal Immigrants, Until They Applied for Citizens

In the early 1980s, their mothers came separately to the United States as legal immigrants and petitioned for residence visas, known as green cards, for Pedro and Salvacion under the category of unmarried children. But between the time the visas were requested and when they were issued in 1985, Pedro and Salvacion, hoping to escape conflicting parental demands, secretly married in the Philippines.

Unaware that their marriage could have violated the terms of their green cards, the Servanos settled in the United States. He completed a second medical residency here and began to practice in blue-collar towns where he made house calls and was known for attention to everyday ills. He and Salvacion married in New Jersey in 1987. They renewed their green cards punctually.

I am not sure why the pseudo-conservatives of the forum have their panties up in a bunch with this case?

Their testimony clearly states the reason they didn't report their secret marriage. And so far, no one has shown a thread of evidence to think otherwise. Where is the so called "innocent until proven guilty" of these oh so great defenders of the law of the land?

More and more I am convinced that these great super heroes of the law of the land, use it as a crutch to argue further their own parallel agendas and personal frustrations.

The law? as if it wasn't often "legally" bent to reach the ends of our so glorious civilized society. Take for example, as previously mentioned in another post, plea bargains...oh how our quasi-divine law is then applied without equality to all to serve "our" purposes as a society and with the bow and deference of even some of the most recalcitrant pseudo-conservatives.

And as naseous as the previous hypocrisy can make me, I must also state I also don't have any sympathy for the pseudo-conservatives when they appeal to the law, when everything Hitler did, by golly, was oh so legal!!

Pseudo-conservatives, you don't get any sympathy from me, and you might as well roll along with your worn out and inhuman rhetoric...

And your point is, DO/JD? Are you advocating for (or proposing to):

- go into secter marriages and lie to your parents
- lie on the testemony (under oath) to the immigration officer
- when caugth with violating the law, cry foul about being in "humanitarion" situation and try to hide behind your children?

Looks pretty much low-life and sneaky to me... not even touching possible means of getting support from mass-media and US senator. I think you would be hard pressed to find any judge here who would think otherwise.

If it's your interpretation of the law or ways of living here in the USA, good luck with your life. You'll need it.

Their mistake was applying for citizenship.

If nothing else, it's a lesson for other green card holders yearning for u.s. passports: think twice and thrice, before licking stamp to your N-400. It's a thick chance for your past to bite you, dearly.

I detect a lot of anti-doctor(physician) and anti-rich ( on the assumption that all physicians are rich) sentiment in several posts on this thread. Is it possible to avoid that?

RE: Rich People

For those who think that rich people want US Citizenship, ket me tell you, the very rich avoid having the US nationality unless they were born here if if they were they usually wind up having a second one just for tax purposes and this is completely legal, my friends. So don't think about the rich wanting to get US Citizenship, they want to stay away from it and even from being a green card holder.-

So my friends, we go back to fighting between us, the little people, the one that want to belong to a country like this.- Remember, the statue of liberty, "give me your poor and hungry...."