Dissimilar names on application and birth certificate

meh55

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My mother filed a F1 green card petition for me using her new name chosen when she became a US citizen. But in my birth certificate, her old name is appeared.

I will have my green card interview in a couple of days. As one of the documents requested by NVC before scheduling the interview had been my birth certificate, I am wondering if the dissimilarity of her name on my application and my birth certificate could cause a problem? Did anyone have similar situation?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Mehr

Hi,

My mother filed a F1 green card petition for me using her new name chosen when she became a US citizen. But in my birth certificate, her old name is appeared.

I will have my green card interview in a couple of days. As one of the documents requested by NVC before scheduling the interview had been my birth certificate, I am wondering if the dissimilarity of her name on my application and my birth certificate could cause a problem? Did anyone have similar situation?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Mehr

It shouldn't be a problem. Bring your birth cert. and your mother's birth certificate with her marriage certif (if the new name obtained was through marriage). This will prove the connection.

You'll need to bring proof of her name change, whether it is the marriage certificate, or the name change document she obtained via naturalizaiton.