Disclaimers!

aka1

Registered Users (C)
Have you wondered why many of us put a disclaimer after responding to a thread - most common being - "I am not a lawyer ...etc..etc...".

Is there really a need to put down a disclaimer. Of course people are free to write that and I do respect individual decisions, however, I believe every person who is visiting this board and asking questions are really asking for "opinions" and not legal advise. If this assumptions is true, readers are asking questions and reading answers at their own risk - then why bother to invoke the "uncertainty principle" and write down a line of disclaimer? And if someone is asking for legal advise, then they better pay for the service - otherwise the advises may not be legally valid.

Life is really too short. So I believe in minimising worries to the least possible and enjoying every moment.

I hope a lawyer with knowledge in this field, reads this thread and lets us know the legal implication of writing a disclaimer and not writing a disclaimer.

Thanks
aka1

:D

I think you cannot sue someone just because the person expressed an opinion. There has to be some kind of aggreement between the persons involved to enforce legal action.

In a free democracy, opinions can be shared freely. I think liability arising out of incorrect advise comes only if the person giving the advise claims competence in the field and acts in some way to make others belief that what they are advising is true. I think that is how the legal system will view such cases.

I think that if one just states that "such and such thing happened with me . or .. this happened to me and I had to do this as a result..or..this is what my friend told me ....", should not lead to any liability claims. Shouldn't there be some kind of negligance for a liability claim to be valid?

I agree with JoeF

I agree with JoeF. You are living in an environment where anyone has the right to sue anyone else for anything. There is no shortage of examples. Atleast as far as I am concerned, regardless of the outcome of such processes, it is just to free myself of any potential pain that the expression of my opinions may cause, eventhough the possibility of such an event occuring is only miniscule or nothing.

------------------------------------------
This is not legal opinion or advice.