didn't file tax in my first of of being LPR

stmykael

Registered Users (C)
When i first came to the US i didnt file tax in the first year because i didnt work the whole year. Now i want to file citizenship but i have only tax returns for the last 4 years. would that affect my chances of being approved?

I was unemployed myself for one year when i became a LPR and did not file taxes that year. I submitted N400 without issues and passed my test this month. Just waiting for the oath. They did not even ask me to submit my tax return copies. However, my interviewer did ask me the general question during my interview if I had pending taxes to be paid to the government. You should be fine to apply....

There is an income threshold below which you are not required to file a tax return. In the Form 1040 instructions for every year, in the first few pages, there is a part "Do you have to file?" that lists what the threshold is for various circumstances for that tax year.

As newacct stated, there is a threshold (I think it might be around $10k) so if you didn't make that amount of money then you didn't have to file. It all depends on what your income was that year.