Didn’t replace new green card when turned 14, now expired

Green456

Hi everyone!

I have quite a bit of questions and I am now not sure where to start:

1. What will happen if I didn’t replace the new green card when my son turned 14? Now he will be 18 in a few days, his green card was expired 4 months ago. (I just found out about he needed to replace when he turned 14 today).

2. The reason that I didn’t renew his green card before expired because he’s now in N600 process I thought he doesn’t need to renew.

3. Can I just start to file I90 while waiting for thr citizenship, but what about the problem that he didn’t replace a new one when he turned 14?

4. If we filed and receive the receipt number, will he be able to work or he will only need to wait till the physical card to arrive? Anything that I can apply for him for extended while waiting?

**my son account locked I need to wait till they unlocked so that I can start

Thanks so much

Re 2. By N600 process, do you mean you became a citizen before he turned 18, and he automatically acquired citizenship under the child citizenship act? In that case he is already a citizen, even if you are still waiting for proof of that, and does not need a new green card (and in fact would not be issued one if you applied now). Did you apply for a passport for him already?

Re 2. By N600 process, do you mean you became a citizen before he turned 18, and he automatically acquired citizenship under the child citizenship act? In that case he is already a citizen, even if you are still waiting for proof of that, and does not need a new green card (and in fact would not be issued one if you applied now). Did you apply for a passport for him already?
Yes! I got the US citizenship before he turned 18. I also applied for him before he turned 18.

But his green card is expired last June. I read online said even he’s waiting on his citizenship he still need his valid green card to proof that he’s eligibility for the citizen. I can’t apply for the passport because he’s still waiting for the citizenship.

(I don’t know what to do because I didn’t replace his green card when he was 14)

For the citizenship, I never heard anything from USCIS after got the receipt number last 7 months ago.

Yes! I got the US citizenship before he turned 18. I also applied for him before he turned 18.

But his green card is expired last June. I read online said even he’s waiting on his citizenship he still need his valid green card to proof that he’s eligibility for the citizen. I can’t apply for the passport because he’s still waiting for the citizenship.

(I don’t know what to do because I didn’t replace his green card when he was 14)

For the citizenship, I never heard anything from USCIS after got the receipt number last 7 months ago.
“I can’t apply for the passport because he’s still waiting for the citizenship.” - no, you have misunderstood the processes. He automatically became a citizen when you did- you do not ”apply” for citizenship, you are just applying for proof that he is a citizen. Both the n600 and the passport are proof of citizenship. Many people do not even apply for n600 to save the expense and just go for passport. I applied for both passport and n600 for my kid on the same day and got the passport much earlier. In fact, after I got the passport and then added it to the n600 case as additional evidence (uploaded a copy, I had applied online), the n600 got processed very fast after that. I would urge you to apply for the passport as soon as you can get an appointment.

What you need to apply for both is the same evidence. I do not recall that you need an unexpired green card, being a LPR does not expire when the card does (but it’s definitely easier to have an unexpired card when you apply). You can even use the stamped immigrant visa in his passport as proof of admission under LPR status. See page 2 of the passport form for evidence required for children born outside the US https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds11.pdf

Not replacing his green card when he turned 14 is not an issue.

Last edited:
“I can’t apply for the passport because he’s still waiting for the citizenship.” - no, you have misunderstood the processes. He automatically became a citizen when you did- you do not ”apply” for citizenship, you are just applying for proof that he is a citizen. Both the n600 and the passport are proof of citizenship. Many people do not even apply for n600 to save the expense and just go for passport. I applied for both passport and n600 for my kid on the same day and got the passport much earlier. In fact, after I got the passport and then added it to the n600 case as additional evidence (uploaded a copy, I had applied online), the n600 got processed very fast after that. I would urge you to apply for the passport as soon as you can get an appointment.

What you need to apply for both is the same evidence. I do not recall that you need an unexpired green card, being a LPR does not expire when the card does (but it’s definitely easier to have an unexpired card when you apply). You can even use the stamped immigrant visa in his passport as proof of admission under LPR status. See page 2 of the passport form for evidence required for children born outside the US

Not replacing his green card when he turned 14 is not an issue.
I feel a lot better, I will try to call the passport office this Monday to see what he need to bring. His Visa stamped on passport is expired it'd been almost 14 years ago. I read online said he needs Consular Report of Birth Abroad for passport.
I will keep you post when I get a chance to talk to someone on Monday both USCIS and passport people. Thank you so much

Last edited:
I feel a lot better, I will try to call the passport office this Monday to see what he need to bring. His Visa stamped on passport is expired it'd been almost 14 years ago. I read online said he needs Consular Report of Birth Abroad for passport.
I will keep you post when I get a chance to talk to someone on Monday both USCIS and passport people. Thank you so much
You need to stop reading stuff online that is not relevant to your case, if he wasn’t born a citizen he won’t have a consular report of birth abroad. Please stop getting hung up on things being expired. Of course the old visa is expired, but it still proves he entered as a LPR.
I already indicated to you the proof that you need is on page 2 of that form. Nowhere does it say anything needs to be unexpired:

APPLICANTS BORN OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES
Please note: If we determine that you are a U.S. citizen, your lawful permanent resident card submitted with this application will be forwarded to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
- Ifyouclaimcitizenshipthroughnaturalizationofoneorbothparent(s),submitallofthefollowing
: •Certificate(s) of Naturalization of your parent(s)
• Your foreign birth certificate (and official translation if the document is not in English)
• Evidence of your admission to the United States for legal permanent residence and proof you subsequently resided in the United States
• Your parents' marriage/certificate and/or evidence that you were in the legal and physical custody of your U.S. citizen parent, if applicable