Did not register for Selective Service

vv4527

Registered Users (C)
Hi, I got my green card when I was 25 1/2 years old. I did not know that I was supposed to register for selective service if I was younger than 26 years. I realized that when I was filling my N400 form. I did not even know what selective service is and who needs to register for it until then. I talked to a lawyer and he filed my application along with a letter stating exactly this. Now I got my interview date on jan 19 2006. I was asked to bring in evidence of selective service registration. I was told by lot of people that I might get denied for my citizenship. Can anybody suggest what I could do to improve my chances of getting my citizenship

Thank you for your prompt reply. I really appreciate it. I did not get any letter from selective services. Please guide me on how to do it. Its been 10 years since I got my green card.

I guess your lawyer should've helped you on this one also since you payed him aready .
Anyhow write a letter to Selective Service http://www.sss.gov/ with a brief explenation and they will send you a letter stating that you failed to register .
However only cause you failed that does *not* mean automatic denial on your application .

p.s. I wonder how much money that lawyer charged you :cool:

Good luck :D

christian775 said:
I guess your lawyer should've helped you on this one also since you payed him aready .
Anyhow write a letter to Selective Service http://www.sss.gov/ with a brief explenation and they will send you a letter stating that you failed to register .
However only cause you failed that does *not* mean automatic denial on your application .

p.s. I wonder how much money that lawyer charged you :cool:

Good luck :D
You should not worry about getting denied the citizenship. Also if you are over 30 and apply on 5-year basis you should be fine for person applying based on marraige the age is 29. but remember to get a letter from selective services and make sure no matter what immigration judge says stick with your point that you were not aware of selective service.

thanks your reply. Mine is not marriage based Greencard. I was first on F1, then on H1 and I got my greencard through employment. I still did not understand what you ment by 5 year basis. This is my first time applying for citizenship. I just neglected to apply all these years. I do have one more question. Can I still apply for selective services now?? Is it not too late??. I am 35 now. christian775, you are right about my lawyer. I will call him immediately tomorrow and ask him to work my moneys worth. All he did is draft a letter stating my ignorance on this matter.

If you are 35 years old, then do n't worry, the statue of limitation have already expired. I mean the INS will never bother unless there are other reasons that they can point to such as criminal history.The law says once you are more than 31 years old they can't hold you accountable of failure to register. INS only go back five years from the date you submit you application.

Applicants Over 31 Years of Age

Failure to register for Selective Service will generally not prevent a man who was over 31 years of age on the day he filed his naturalization application from demonstrating that he is eligible for naturalization. Even if the applicant was required to register and the applicant's failure to register was knowing and willful, the failure occurred outside of the statutory period during which the applicant is required to establish his attachment to the good order and happiness of the United States. The INS may, of course, consider a person's conduct before the beginning of this period. INA § 101(f) (last sentence) and § 316(e). If the INS denies naturalization to a man who is at least 31, based on his failure to register with Selective Service, the decision must state explicitly the basis for finding that the failure to register warrants denial of naturalization. As a practical matter, a male applicant over 31 years of age who failed to register with Selective Service should, ordinarily, be found eligible for naturalization unless INS has other evidence, in addition to the past failure to register, that demonstrates that the applicant is not well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States.
Your laywer should and must know this. If not then flush him/her out .

Last edited by a moderator:
question about Selective Services registration

Hi All,

I entered the US about 3 weeks before my 26th birthday. I entered with a new marriage based, Green Card.

I had no idea I need to register for the Selective Services up until a few months ago, when I started the citizenship process.

My question is, how can I convince them that I was not aware of the fact that I need to register nor was I trying to avoid it, I barely had the time even if I wanted to... Like I mentioned, three weeks after I got here it was my 26th birthday

Any suggestions? Or perhaps anyone has an example letter?

Please help