Did anyone obtain their GC through Asylum ever travel back to their own country?

mzoo_127

Registered Users (C)
Hi, everyone, I recently got my green card through asylum status, I was wondering if I travel back to my own country, and would I have any problem when I go through the immigration when I arrive the U.S. airport?
( I understand if you have a GC, you can travel and come back to the U.S. any time, but by definition, asylee is not sppose to go back to their own country, that would show the asylee has no such fear of living in their own country. )

did anyone who got a GC through asylum status ever traveled back to their own country and still come back to the States?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
mzoo_127 said:
Hi, everyone, I recently got my green card through asylum status, I was wondering if I travel back to my own country, and would I have any problem when I go through the immigration when I arrive the U.S. airport?
( I understand if you have a GC, you can travel and come back to the U.S. any time, but by definition, asylee is not sppose to go back to their own country, that would show the asylee has no such fear of living in their own country. )

did anyone who got a GC through asylum status ever traveled back to their own country and still come back to the States?

Thank you
Man leave this subject elone please for God sake because you will not be able to finish what do you try to start in this thread with out getting people fighting over that well by the way good luck :cool:

mzoo_127 said:

Thank you

I personally wouldn't do it but I know a lot of asylees who traveled back home before getting their GC's. It's totally up to your judjement.

ayyubov, Thanks for replying. You were talking about people traveling back to their country with the refugee documents, right? what about people who have already got the GC through asylum status traveling bak to their own country. If you notice, the Category on the Green card says : ASY (people get it through asylum) instead of IR6 ( people got it through marriage) .

thanks!

Michelle

mzoo_127 said:
ayyubov, Thanks for replying. You were talking about people traveling back to their country with the refugee documents, right? what about people who have already got the GC through asylum status traveling bak to their own country. If you notice, the Category on the Green card says : ASY (people get it through asylum) instead of IR6 ( people got it through marriage) .

thanks!

Michelle

Michelle,

There is no right answer for this question. The problem is USCIS does NOT follow their own rules. They do claim in writing that "since you are a permanent resident now, you are treated like the other PRS", however they go and slap the ASY code on the GC just to let the Officers know you got it through asylum.

You would want to become a U.S Citizen right? There is a possilibty that if you vist your HOme country, the officer may think you obtained it through Fraud. They have all the right to question is if you went back to your Home Country if you went back as soon as you get your GC.

So the fact of the matter is. No one knows. Lawyers may tell you its ok but they wont be able to help you out IF you are caught in a bind.

I think the good suggestion would be that IF you do need to go back..for a sick family member or something that is valid(other than a 2 week holiday on the beach)..it can be acceptable. But make sure you have enough proof IF you are asked to show it.

I hope this answers your question.

wantmygcnow, Thank you so much for replying! I guess I will wait around and see if anybody got the GC the same way I did and went back to their own country and with no problem coming back to the states. You are totally right, nobody will know for sure if the immigration officer will let you come back in or not. So if i do go back, hopefully the officer is in a good mood when I go through them at the airport. :)
This site is one of the greatest thing I've found online so far!!!!!!!!

mzoo_127 said:
wantmygcnow, Thank you so much for replying! I guess I will wait around and see if anybody got the GC the same way I did and went back to their own country and with no problem coming back to the states. You are totally right, nobody will know for sure if the immigration officer will let you come back in or not. So if i do go back, hopefully the officer is in a good mood when I go through them at the airport. :)
This site is one of the greatest thing I've found online so far!!!!!!!!

Oh dont worry about letting you back in.They will let you in because they have to follow a process.. They can't put you on a plane back like that...The problems come after you go home and have caught up on your sleep and get a letter from USCIS...

Which document would you use to get into the gate of your home country?
a RTD or a passport?

The USCIS officer on border would ask you:
RTD? - How come did your home country let you in?
Passport? - Why are you still holding a passport of your home country, as an asylum-based GC holder?

See the problem here??

"The problems come after you go home and have caught up on your sleep and get a letter from USCIS" what-up Boss ? :) it's been long time . I was just reading this no end thread like any other day of course with a lot of pain on the waiting line of G.C approval but when I read your response that really made me laugh and rolling down on my carpet and took same of my G.C pain a way :D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
sadasylee said:
Which document would you use to get into the gate of your home country?
a RTD or a passport?

The USCIS officer on border would ask you:
RTD? - How come did your home country let you in?
Passport? - Why are you still holding a passport of your home country, as an asylum-based GC holder?

See the problem here??
those are great questions. it's especially problematic if while on asylum, you manage to renew your passport with the consulate of your home country, no?

The consulate never give a crap about what status you are in the states, as long as you pay $$$ for the passport they will just issue you a new one. (speaking from personal experience). I don't know how other consulate treat their citizens, im only speaking for the chinese consulate in L.A.

mzoo_127 said:
The consulate never give a crap about what status you are in the states, as long as you pay $$$ for the passport they will just issue you a new one. (speaking from personal experience). I don't know how other consulate treat their citizens, im only speaking for the chinese consulate in L.A.
well, the issue is if you renewed your passport while on asylum, you are violating the terms of the status. isn't that right? someone more knowledgeable on this can help me out?

that is incorrect! you can be an asylee because of religous prosecution (like Baptists Russians in Russia) but you have no problem with government and hence get the NP.

samird said:
that is incorrect! you can be an asylee because of religous prosecution (like Baptists Russians in Russia) but you have no problem with government and hence get the NP.

Good point :)