Did anybody have any trouble entering USA with AP?

romit

Registered Users (C)
Please share good or bad experiences while entering USA with Advance Parole.

Thank you.

A coworker of mine went to India and her husband and her were drilled in separate rooms for over 2 hours. They asked questions about marriage, where they worked, where they visited in India (were specific with dates), cost of the ticket, one event that they loved doing in India. Then they compared the answered.

Hope this helps

Thank you. This does help to understand what they are up to.

My wife is coming back from India with an AP and with her, my 1 yr. old son (citizen). Hope they don't bother that much.

I had no problems traveling back to the US from Canada. It took an extra 20-30 minutes while they went through the forms, but the folks at the border were polite and curtious and asked no questions (other than what we bought at duty free).

No problems whatsoever, i jsut went in for secondary screening and they just stamped one of my APs and the I-94 in my passport and thats all. Dont worry

JJBBKK said:
No problems whatsoever, i jsut went in for secondary screening and they just stamped one of my APs and the I-94 in my passport and thats all. Dont worry

Thank you. good to know these positive feedback.

anybody else? please.

ap

romit when u applied for advance parol what reason did you give for travelling and how long did they take to approve it? did you mail in your form requesing ap or did you have a interview.
i appreciate any details you have to share
thanks in advance

Asg, i dont think you should worry much about the reason that you need to provide. I believe that if you have an I-485 case pending you are automatically entitled to it even though it says that you must have some sort of emergency.

asg98 said:
romit when u applied for advance parol what reason did you give for travelling and how long did they take to approve it? did you mail in your form requesing ap or did you have a interview.
i appreciate any details you have to share
thanks in advance

reason was pretty straightforward, "to visit family members". Because it was in local USCIS office, they just asked us to collect it at the office, but no question asked.

thanks guys for ur prompt replies. i appreciate it. heres another thought if one does ever get approved(I-485) during absence in the country does the ins grant a few grace days. i do understand its in the best interest to return right away and get the stamp but does the ins have any time limt.
thank you

what kinds of questions do they typically ask at the port of entry when somebody comes back with AP?

please share if you know.

asg98 said:
thanks guys for ur prompt replies. i appreciate it. heres another thought if one does ever get approved(I-485) during absence in the country does the ins grant a few grace days. i do understand its in the best interest to return right away and get the stamp but does the ins have any time limt.
thank you

asg...it's on the very rare occasion that people get approved for AOS
without an interview. I have heard of it happening, but extremely rare.
You will most likely get a letter in the mail telling you your interview date and time along with a checklist of what they want you to bring. My letter came 5 weeks before the interview date, which seems to be the average, but I have heard of people getting only 2 weeks and even one person was given one DAY...you never know with USCIS.
They do not like you to re-schedule an interview date either...it better be a darn good reason if someone cannot make their interview. And if they do succeed in getting it re-scheduled it can dealy things for up to 6 months...

romit said:
what kinds of questions do they typically ask at the port of entry when somebody comes back with AP?

please share if you know.

Romit, I returned to the US from Canada and used my AP for the first time in Dec. 2004. I handed my AP and passport to the custom's officer, explained to him that I was in the process of adjusting status and he physically brought me to the secondary inspection, handed over my AP to another officer there and told me to sit down to wait. I waited no more than 5 mins. and the other officer called me over, asked me my birthdate and where I was coming from, stamped my passport, an I-94 and my AP, handed everything back to me and said "Welcome back to the US". That was it...easy peasy.

interview over trvlg on ap

starry1
i have already finished with my interview in dec 2003 and have submitted all the documents, fp was done in august 2003 so im just waiting for the ins to make a decison in my case. do they have 2 interviews?I was informed after the interview if the i-485 is approved they send u letter for stamping the passport and im just wondering in this case how long they give you if your travelling on ap.thank you for your replies

asg98 said:
starry1
i have already finished with my interview in dec 2003 and have submitted all the documents, fp was done in august 2003 so im just waiting for the ins to make a decison in my case. do they have 2 interviews?I was informed after the interview if the i-485 is approved they send u letter for stamping the passport and im just wondering in this case how long they give you if your travelling on ap.thank you for your replies

Ahhhhh I understand now, sorry. I know of someone recently who got an approval after having to submit further evidence. Her husband received his green card in the mail after approval before they even got any notice to appear for the stamp.
I would suggest tho, that if and when you are out of the country, that you have a friend check your mail for you while you are gone. Give him the telephone number where you will be so he can call you if anything comes in the mail from USCIS.