Did anybody been asked to submit 3 years on tax returns in there I-485 processing???

rsannu2k

Registered Users (C)
Hello Friends,

Thank you very much for your response last time, I have one more question :) .

Did anybody been asked to submit 3 years on tax returns in there I-485 processing???

I dont have my 2002 tax returns good, I will be having 2003 and 2004 tax returns by the time I get my 485 considered by USCIS, so I wanted to know
howmuch the probability of been asked for 3years tax returns.

I -140 AD Jul 23 2004
I- 485 ND Oct 13 2003

Thanks in advance for your generous help,
Sekhar

rsannu2k said:
Hello Friends,

Thank you very much for your response last time, I have one more question :) .

I dont have my 2002 tax returns good, I will be having 2003 and 2004 tax returns by the time I get my 485 considered by USCIS, so I wanted to know
howmuch the probability of been asked for 3years tax returns.

I -140 AD Jul 23 2004
I- 485 ND Oct 13 2003

Thanks in advance for your generous help,
Sekhar

The chances are very remote (may be less than 1 in 10,000). We saw it only a couple of times. Don't worry about it. If that happens to you, then your lawyer will find proper explanation. (you can claim unpaid leave for 4 months due to mental tension etc)

When I filed my 485, my lawyer had asked me for 3 years of tax returns. I thought it was a practice to send in your tax returns (3 years) when sending in your application. May be I am wrong.

Most I-485 applicants were asked to submit 3 years tax returns at the time of filing their I-485 for the first time. Some people were asked to submit 2 years tax returns in a response to their RFE.

If you lived in usa for 3 years or more years and worked in usa for 3 or more years, you need to submit 3 years tax returns. If you don't have any tax returns with you, you can go to IRS office and/or State comptroller office for copies of your tax returns you need. You may consult your lawyer to review your case including tax returns before submitting your RFE if you think it is not straightfoward. Note: there are no state tax returns except federal tax returns in some states such as Deleware, Washington state, etc.

If you lived in usa for 3 years and worked in usa for 2 years, you need a lawyer to help you to explain to immigration officers. (say you were studying, or you were on medical leave, etc.)

Hope this helps. Good luck.

USGC485

Last edited by a moderator:
I was not asked to submit 3 years tax returns along with my I-485 application. I asked my colleagues [who have been approved already] and none of them were asked either. All immigration related applications are handled by a reputed immigration firm, FDBL, and their documentation mentioned that 3 years tax returns are required only for Consular Processing.

Shaf said:
their documentation mentioned that 3 years tax returns are required only for Consular Processing.

Tax returns are not "required" for CP either. 99% of the folks who get an immigrant visa at a consulate have never filed a US tax return. The law firm probably mentions this because using CP you have less room for error and if the consular officer wants the returns and you don't have them, a wasted trip.

Tax returns are only required really to verify income. I never filed any tax returns with my I-485, and at my interview was only asked for the latest 1040 that I had filed, which I had printed out from TurboTax.

If you have 3 years tax retuns at the time of filing I-485,
you definitely should send them with your application,
it will help you to avoid future RFE.

Comment1 said:
If you have 3 years tax retuns at the time of filing I-485,
you definitely should send them with your application,it will help you to avoid future RFE.

Or it may give USCIS a reason to send out a different RFE. Never give USCIS more than they ask for; it will rarely help you and often hurt you.

Did anybody been asked to submit 3 years on tax returns in there I-485 processing??? Reply to Thread

Thanks a lot for your prompt response, may be in my request I have missed some info. I have not put my 3 yrs tax returns (TR), so I wanted to know whether there are cases where with out putting 3yrs TR submitting the 485 and later on, USCIS is asking for them????

Thanks to "Shaf", for you response!! May be there wont be anybody whom USCIS asked for 3yrs TR, while 485 being processed, which is what I am waiting for!!!

Thanks again, and keep up the good work!!
-Sekhar

rsannu2k said:
Thanks to "Shaf", for you response!! May be there wont be anybody whom USCIS asked for 3yrs TR, while 485 being processed, which is what I am waiting for!!!

USCIS will often send out an RFE requesting W-2s and 3 years' tax returns (why 3 years? because IRS will only return back the latest 3 years' of data to you) if they suspect that you may not have been making the proferred wage on an LCA (if on an H-1B) or to verify employment and ensure you haven't worked for anyone you weren't authorized to work for.

If you look reasonable and your company appears reputable and obviously able to pay and not pull a fast one on UCSIS, you probably won't get an RFE.