Detention/release from ICE on Bond - what happens now ?

mihir67m

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

My family migrated to US on H1-B in 1998. In Jan 2001, the company that my father worked for closed down and we have been out of status since. We filed for I-130 through my mother's brother (a US citizen) in July 2001 and our petition is approved but currently the priority date is April 30th 2001 so we are not eligible to proceed yet. We all have social security numbers (which we attained back in 1991 when we were in the US on a short visit). My parents' driver licenses expired only in December 2007. Over the years, we have managed to keep away from trouble. I got married to a US citizen and got my Green Card (have already applied for US citizenship). My sister/mother/father still remain out of status.

Today, my father was traveling by Grayhound in New York state and was detained by immigration officers (ICE). We had to put up a $1500 Bond for them to release him. They also asked for copies of his I-94/H1 visa (expired) as well as proof of our I-130 record which we faxed over to them.

The officer told me that I should speak to an immigration attorney and there will be a court hearing. I would like to know what happens now ? Also, how does it affect my mother and especially my sister, who has recently finished her studies here (she is 22) ?? I would appreciate any words of wisdom or information.....

Thanks

Today, my father was traveling by Greyhound [bus] in New York state and was detained by immigration officers (ICE).
While I know that airlines do status checks, are long-distance ground-based transportation services (like Greyhound) also checking status?

The next thing will happen to your farther is receiving the NTA (Notice to Appear) from USCIS with the specific court date to be in front of Immigration Judge. Depends on what was charged on NTA, and how immigration attoney to present your father's case, Judge can either grant your father with immigration relief if he qualifies, or order your father to be removed from US (deportation). Many out comes are based on details circumstance, condition and background about your father.

As to your monther and sister(s), there won't be any direct impact to their situation. Everyone will be treated as individual cases.

Good Luck and find a good lawyer for your father.

^^ 1500 is the minimum bond set for immigration matters by ICE.