Desi Employer won't give H1 papers, pays peanuts HELP!

Desidog

Hello all viewers and friends,

Desidog say freindly bow wow to you all :)
I am having substantial difficulty with a desi consulting company. I am a computer scientist from India. I came to the U.S. from Japan in Oct. 2004. a desi consulatnt sponsored my H1 , and i got a job in a week (on my own) with a decent fortune 500 company. As per our agreement which is in writing , they started paying me peanuts. the pay is so dismal , if i told you; you would not be shocked, you'd be amused. I have all the current pay stubs etc. My h1 was approved in Oct. of 2004, but THEY KEPT these papers and i DO NOT even have a photocopy or any other details but i have seen these papers and am certain that i work legally on H1 status. the contract that i signed with them said that i must work with them for atleast 18 months or pay a huge ransom for breaking the contract. The 18 months are not over yet.
The interesting part begins now. During lunch hour 2 weeks ago a recruiter approached me at the local subway and we got talking. VOILA! Competitor wants to hire me fulltime , will pay me a good (great from current situation) salary and treated me very well during the interview trip. Nice hotel, limo, lunch, sight seeing etc. Really cool.
I called the desi consultant company and asked for my papers. they told me to shut up (I am putting it politely here , read this as four letter words , you know what i mean).
they said that my contract is for 18 months and that i should not even think about changing jobs. that's being unfaithful etc. etc.... The new employer wants me to start working ASAP. They will transfer the h1 and more importantly treat me like a human being. I have the pay stubs, MASTERS DEGREE FROM INDIA, and my current job is fine (no threat), is there some way that i can get my h1 papers from them ? Can the new employer transfer my old h1 without the old approval papers ? I have the i 94 on my passport as i entered on an F2 (wife's dependent, who is a student ) status. the consultant is cheating me , i know but i want to do this without any trouble. Any ideas/suggestions would be helpful.

My question is... can I transfer the H1 in some way to my new employer? I wanna bite these consulting blood sucking leech companies ...

Kindly share your experiences/thoughts. PLEASE HELP ME, i'LL APPRECIATE IT.

Thanks
Desidog

you can always file new one for stamping at India

if your I-94 is valid and you are assured of the next job, call up CIS and ask they might be able to help you, before that get things in writing from this employer, write a regd letter ask your H1, tell your client that you may be working illegally, you can end up in prison if you don't have a legal status to show if you get stopped by a cop or so, really you seem so strange to be working without docs...wake up man!!!
Desidog said:

I am having substantial difficulty with a desi consulting company. I am a computer scientist from India. I came to the U.S. from Japan in Oct. 2004. a desi consulatnt sponsored my H1 , and i got a job in a week (on my own) with a decent fortune 500 company. As per our agreement which is in writing , they started paying me peanuts. the pay is so dismal , if i told you; you would not be shocked, you'd be amused. I have all the current pay stubs etc. My h1 was approved in Oct. of 2004, but THEY KEPT these papers and i DO NOT even have a photocopy or any other details but i have seen these papers and am certain that i work legally on H1 status. the contract that i signed with them said that i must work with them for atleast 18 months or pay a huge ransom for breaking the contract. The 18 months are not over yet.
The interesting part begins now. During lunch hour 2 weeks ago a recruiter approached me at the local subway and we got talking. VOILA! Competitor wants to hire me fulltime , will pay me a good (great from current situation) salary and treated me very well during the interview trip. Nice hotel, limo, lunch, sight seeing etc. Really cool.
I called the desi consultant company and asked for my papers. they told me to shut up (I am putting it politely here , read this as four letter words , you know what i mean).
they said that my contract is for 18 months and that i should not even think about changing jobs. that's being unfaithful etc. etc.... The new employer wants me to start working ASAP. They will transfer the h1 and more importantly treat me like a human being. I have the pay stubs, MASTERS DEGREE FROM INDIA, and my current job is fine (no threat), is there some way that i can get my h1 papers from them ? Can the new employer transfer my old h1 without the old approval papers ? I have the i 94 on my passport as i entered on an F2 (wife's dependent, who is a student ) status. the consultant is cheating me , i know but i want to do this without any trouble. Any ideas/suggestions would be helpful.

My question is... can I transfer the H1 in some way to my new employer? I wanna bite these consulting blood sucking leech companies ...

Thanks
Desidog

This aint india dude. There are rules here. Go to an immigration lawyer and tell this desi consultuant you sare suing his a$$ and he will be in jail before you are through with him. Thats what I'd do. You are currently working almost like a slave now. Lets see how the cops like that.

Desidog said:

Thanks
Desidog

Hi,
u can ask ur employer that u want to go to India and u need H1 details for visa stamping. I think u should have tried this earlier. ur employer wouldn't have doubted u.

All the best

hemant_1979 said:
This aint india dude. There are rules here. Go to an immigration lawyer and tell this desi consultuant you sare suing his a$$ and he will be in jail before you are through with him. Thats what I'd do. You are currently working almost like a slave now. Lets see how the cops like that.

Hahaha. Sue on what? H1B is the property of Employer. NOT YOU. If they actually applied and got the approved, they don't need to worry anything.
Sue on salary? The law said employer don't have to pay the PWD for temp employee (H1B holder). Did they sign any contract to say they pay X amount of money and don't pay that? No they don't stupid.
Sue on work like slave? Define it.
Don't just jump up and down. Sue sue sue ... You are better give him the solution.

Desidog said:

Thanks
Desidog

One of my previous co-workers has similar situation (but not quite the same).
He came to the US for MS degree. Then go OPT, we hired him for internship. After 8 months, there is no clear indicate from our group to hire him as permanent, so he looks around and had a consultant company file H1B for him. However, at the last month of OPT, we had a openning, so we filed him in (he dropped the offer from other company). H1B process is started with my company to change status from F1 to H1B. He did not even know that his H1B status with other company and WAC number (actually the previous H1B got approved before). USCIS refused his change status and request to do H1B transfer since he had an approved H1B. THE MESS IS HERE. The company lawyer requests the copy of his previous H1B from USCIS and did the transfer. He got the transfer done but must go out of country for visa stamp.

Your case is somewhat similar. You could request your new company do the same things. Use express process with 1K, you can resolve the problem in 1 month.

desicrunch

hello friends such things are quite common amognst many desi companies. however things a re improving cos rules have become very strict. i happen to visit a website named www.desicrunch.com, it has reviews of desi companies. I wrote review on difficulties i faced by me. atleast somone joining my company shud be more prepared .http://www.desicrunch.com/

Hahaha. Sue on what? H1B is the property of Employer. NOT YOU. If they actually applied and got the approved, they don't need to worry anything.
Sue on salary? The law said employer don't have to pay the PWD for temp employee (H1B holder). Did they sign any contract to say they pay X amount of money and don't pay that? No they don't stupid.
Sue on work like slave? Define it.
Don't just jump up and down. Sue sue sue ... You are better give him the solution.[/QUOTE]

is your wife, as of today on F1 or H4 ? On job offer, employer has to disclose pay and other stuff as he has to prove ,that, for that particular pay he didnt get local ppl and normally < $48000/yr , its difficult to get H1 appov....
or go back to F2 and ask the new employer to file your new H1 or .........keep working till 18 months (why are you in hurry) as in the 1st place when you were hired, you were told about your pay and other stuff by the desi company and that time you were ok with it ..........

Last edited by a moderator:
Such things are quite common amognst many desi companies. if your I-94 is valid and you are assured of the next job, call up CIS and ask they might be able to help you.

Write a regd letter to your employer and ask your H1. Go to an immigration lawyer and tell about this desi consultuant.He will be in jail before you are through with him.

All of them are the same

Bottomline is money for all of these companies. You gotta choose wisely.
I found this new website recently, which has reviews on a lot of desi companies. If applicable you can use it, or forward it to your friends.

www.desicrunch.com

H1B company's reviews

Also there is a site called h1bmates.com. You can find reviews on this site too.

Dude, I'm kinda four years late now to reply, but I hope you are doing good now.
I just wanted to put a note for future visitors who might be in your shoes right now that there is no validity for any 18 moths stay-with-me clause under employment/labor laws. No employer can hold you liable for anything if you leave them with a proper notice. You should feel free to change your job/employer if you are in US. I have seen number of cases like that where current employer get nothing if you leave him. I understand that you might have signed a legal paper with your employer but how will they enforce that on you? They can go to court, where they will be rejected rightway....small claims court can award them upto $2000 in most states (So pay them that 2000 bucks and be happy....move on), circuit court will pay no more than $15000. Lawyer will charge them $2000+ to see the case so they will not go that way, trust me...they just want to scare you.....they know they can do nothing and can get nothing out of you.
.... I was tired of dealing with fraud Desi companies so I opened my own after getting a GC.
If any of you have any specific question related to employer not being nice/fair to you then post it here or email me.
Don't let these rats to suck your blood. Your good desi brothers are here to help you....

Now the biggest question is.. what type of rat you are to suck the blood

Now the biggest question is.. what type of rat you are to suck the blood

No doubt , every body started comanies like these and turned into blood sucking rats. Others are far better, they are just sucking.
You are dangerous , where you suck the blood with sweet talks & breaching the trust.

Do not cheat the people.