derivative asylum/interview

thad123

I was recently asked to submit i-589 (nunc pro tunc) after applying i-485. My father was granted asylum before i turn 21. I am called for interview. Does anybody know what kind of question they ask? Since I'm a derivative asylee, do they ask me question pertaining my fathers case. Thanks.

I was recently asked to submit i-589 (nunc pro tunc) after applying i-485. My father was granted asylum before i turn 21. I am called for interview. Does anybody know what kind of question they ask? Since I'm a derivative asylee, do they ask me question pertaining my fathers case. Thanks.

Well, get the documents you may need; valid drivers license, marriage/divorce decrees if applicable. Most likely there will be no questions pertaining your dad or persecution; however, you may be asked how you got your asylum, which is obviously through your father. So be prepared for everything; the interview is very easy; good luck

I just went through the same thing. The interview was just formality, no tough questions asked. Good luck.
:)

Thanks for the reply. Does age matter? will there be a chance to be denied? Even though my father was granted asylum before i turned 21, i'm 26 right now. Do u think this will matter.

How strict is CIS in making derivative asylees go through the NPT process? Does it depend on the officer that's going to be processing I-485 or is it 100% required? I just don't see the purpose of NPT, especially when trying to get a GC.

How strict is CIS in making derivative asylees go through the NPT process? Does it depend on the officer that's going to be processing I-485 or is it 100% required? I just don't see the purpose of NPT, especially when trying to get a GC.

It is a formality that they need to comply with the letter of the law. That is the whole purpose (if they were mean spirited they could just not give you the GC).

Thanks for the reply. Does age matter? will there be a chance to be denied? Even though my father was granted asylum before i turned 21, i'm 26 right now. Do u think this will matter.

It will not matter. You and your dad have the same nationality, right?

Just relax and go to the interview.

It is a formality that they need to comply with the letter of the law. That is the whole purpose (if they were mean spirited they could just not give you the GC).

Before we started preparing I-485s, I actually went to an INFOPASS appointment about this but 1st level officer didn't even know what NPT was. After a long wait, a supervisor said that I don't need NPT and should send in my papers as is (implying I'd never have to get NPT).

Since there's an obvious discrepancy between CIS written instruction and what I was told, I was curious if there are any age 21+ derivative asylees on here that weren't forced to do NPT. :confused:

P.S. I am so not commenting on the "mean spirited" part, lol *points to the red warning text* I'll just say that it took us 5+ years to get asylum.... :mad:

Medical & I-485

thad123,

When you filed I-485 for yourself, did you submit I-693 medical exmination as well? Some said on this forum that applicants should not until CIS further notice, whereas others insist that I-693 should be filed along with I-485. I am going to file I-485 for my family in July. Please kindly make a response to my inquiry.

Thanks

aanl