Derivative Asylee status after Divorce

chittim

Hi Everyone, I am derivative asylee. My husband is primary applicant in Asylum file and i am dependent Asylee. Now my husband interested in other women, he cheated me. he is giving divorce. I am helpless now. I would like to know what could be my status after Divorce ? and how can i maintain my legal/loyal status after my divorce.
Need your valuable suggestions. Awaiting for your responses Thank you

Have you already received derivative asylee status? Or it is still pending?

Have you gotten a green card through Adjustment of Status yet?

we applied for Asylum petition in 2019, till now we did not received any Notice or Hearing. it is in Pending status. My Husband is Primary Applicant and i am dependent applicant. Now he wants give divorce to me. what could be my status and how can i maintain my legal/loyal immigration status after my divorce

Have you already received derivative asylee status? Or it is still pending?

Have you gotten a green card through Adjustment of Status yet?
we applied for Asylum petition in 2019, till now we did not received any Notice or Hearing. it is in Pending status. My Husband is Primary Applicant and i am dependent applicant. Now he wants give divorce to me. what could be my status and how can i maintain my legal/loyal immigration status after my divorce

If you divorce before being granted asylum, then you are not eligible for derivative asylum anymore. If you yourself have a fear of persecution, you can apply for asylum on your own (as a principal asylee in a new asylum application). You are exempt from the 1-year filing deadline if you file soon after the divorce because the divorce from the previous principal asylum applicant counts as a changed circumstance.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This is an immigration lawyer’s website. You can ask about this with him. It is just similar to this forum but he’s the only one who answers everyone’s questions. A small help from my side. I feel sorry for you and do you have EAD?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have EAD, does divorce decree certification effect on EAD?

Your divorce will not affect your A05 EAD. However, you can't adjust to AS7 green card if your husband divorces you before the adjustment.

Try to make the divorce happens after you get your AS7 green card.

--------

Sorry I did not pay attention. You are not an asylee. You are a derivative asylum applicant. So, your husband divorces you will affect your EAD. You can file an immigration petition for yourself and get an EAD.

Last edited:
Friends, i need your advice.I am too a derivative asylee with my spouse being principal.
We have been having relationship issues. Now i found out that we have been granted asylum, but i have to wait a year before i can apply for the green card itself. Situation is that my spouse left the country without advanced parole due to family emergency. What should i do now? Will i receive the greencard if i wait a year to apply for it?
Thank you!