Dependent I-485 has not been approved...

penpen

Registered Users (C)
Hi, all

My I-485 was approved last week at TSC, however there is still no news on my wife's I-485. We filed our I-485s together and really concerned why my wife's 485 is not approved at the same time as mine.

Anyone has experienced similar situation before and how long normally it takes to get hers approved? Thanks a lot.

I had four applications. 3 are approved on 7/12. No word on my daughter. Her status remains as FP resumed.. I was kind of concerned too, from a point that if it is just oversight where the officer who process has cleared three and declared file closed. Then it will be a pain. However as I see other cases too, may be there is a reason they are holding. who knows ??
I got the courtesy copy for all on Thursday/Friday, and my lawer got two out of three on Thursday when she called me. She probably has got the third one too on Friday.

Any way I too have a situation where dependant is not approved.

--pr

Looks like that there is a quite a many people in similar situation

If you follow the thread, some of them were later approved though.

May be we should maintain a spreadsheet to note dates when these cases get approved and to maintain status.

I too am in the same boat. My case was approved on Friday 07/16 but my wife's case isnt. We both went for fingerprinting on March 23, '04. Her online status still says that on April 10th we received your fingerprints and is pending review. Any petition we have filed together so far were all approved and received at the same time in mail till now. Dont know whats going on.

Delay is due to the security check

I was informed that the delay on the approval of my wife's I-485 is due to a pending security check, which is differernt from the fingerprint check. This one is basically name based. So my theory is that if someone has a very common name, the security check will take longer than those with a 'rare' name, as they need to dig through all the information to find the particular one they are checking on. Can anyone verify my rationale?

penpen

how did you get this info, that still pending with security check. if you could share this, it will be a great help

A TSC official responded with email to my fax inquiry yesterday:
First email message:
I received your inquiry regarding your I-485. While your husband's I-485 was approved, yours has a pending security check that must be completed prior to approval. Once it clears, your application can then be completed. We apologize for the delay, but we cannot continue the processing without the clearance.

Second email message after I replied:
The pending check is separate from the fingerprint clearance. It is based on the name, and for some reason, some names take longer to clear than others.
I really cannot give you a timeframe, as they all differ. I can tell you that we do "sweeps" of our data base to determine those cases whose clearances are complete, and once yours clears, it should get pulled for final adjudication.

My guess is that as soon as the security check is done, I-485 should get approved very soon.

penpen, thanks for posting

Can you post the letter you sent to the INS?

Also, what fax number did you send your letter to.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife's case in fact has been xferred to washington dc local office.
i don't know what could be the reason.
My wife does not really have a common name or last name.
She has in fact had only one I-94. the only time she went outside of US is when we went for cruise to bahamas.
in fact then too, they didn't take our i-94s.

the only other explanation i have is that E-filed EAD mess with my wife's case
must have caused it to local office transfer.

Maybe by e-filing our EADS applications in January 04, i have unknowingly got
into some mess with my wife's case. I regret that e-filing every day since.

nice!

I am quite surprised and astonished there is someone on the USCIS side that actually takes time to read all our letters. And that email reaply - kicks a**!

Spouse approved

I-485 ND: 3/13/2002 (both)
FP1 (spouse): 3/5/2003
FP1 (me): 4/8/2003
Approval (me): 6/21/2004

Spouse not approved b/c of expired FP as new FP notice was issued for her same day mine was approved.

FP2 issued (ND, spouse only): 6/22/2004
FP2 (spouse only): 7/7/2004
FP2 (spouse) received by INS from FBI: 7/14/2004
Approval (spouse): 7/22/2004

Last edited by a moderator:
Any news on dependent I-485?

I contacted TSC again and they told me that there is a FBI name/security check pending on my wife's I-485? Any idea about this FBI check? It has been almost two weeks since the approval of my 485. Looks like we still have a long waiting....

"The FBI name check is only required on the I-485, not the I-765 or I-131.
Sometimes this name check clears within 2-3 months, other times it may take
6 months or longer...."

I went for stamping last Friday in Tucson at 9.00 am. There were only two people in front of me and it took just 25 minutes for me to finish my stamping. The immgration officer helped me to check my wife's case. She looked into her computer and and told me that her case is pending security clearance.Its just that mine got cleared early and my wife's could be sooner rather than later.

My hypothesis is that it takes less time to finish the security/name check if you have a uncommon name (as is the case of my name) and takes longer to clear it up if a very common name is involved. Just hope this ordeal could finish soon....

penpen,

Can you post the the letter you sent to the INS.

Also, what fax number did you send your lettler to.

Thank you

bjags said:
I went for stamping last Friday in Tucson at 9.00 am. There were only two people in front of me and it took just 25 minutes for me to finish my stamping. The immgration officer helped me to check my wife's case. She looked into her computer and and told me that her case is pending security clearance.Its just that mine got cleared early and my wife's could be sooner rather than later.

Any dependent I-485 got approved recently? Still no news on my wife's even though mine was approved two weeks ago. Hope the pending security/name check won't take months to clear....