Departure Dates

harry2005

Registered Users (C)
I'm in the process of filing for N-400. I have a problem with departure dates,
hoping someone could answer my question. I have taken several trips in the
last five years. As far as I know, US doesn't stamp your passport when you
leave the country. So how did you guys come up with accurate departure
dates/times? The only thing I have in my passport is the stamp at the
destination. Problem is some trips were longer than 40 hours journey and I can't
remember which ones. On top of that, I renewed my passport in the last five
years and lost the old one, not to mention some of the stamped dates are
unreadable. Is there any better way to get the actual departure dates other
than trying to recollect?

Thanks for your help.

I always fly with the same airline company when I am out of the country. So, I just get my frequent flyer statement. :)

harry2005 said:
So how did you guys come up with accurate departure dates/times?
Well, I actually kept track of all my trips outside of the country, including trips to Canada and Mexico. By the way, if you have minor children and plan to file N600 later, you will have to come up with ALL of their trip dates since they first arrived to the US, not just since they became LPRs.

harry2005 said:
The only thing I have in my passport is the stamp at the
destination. Problem is some trips were longer than 40 hours journey and I can't remember which ones.
No envy to you since you travel 40 hours journeys so often. Remember that the day you leave the US is counted as the day in the US, it might help you in your calculations.

GeneM said:
Well, I actually kept track of all my trips outside of the country, including trips to Canada and Mexico. By the way, if you have minor children and plan to file N600 later, you will have to come up with ALL of their trip dates since they first arrived to the US, not just since they became LPRs.)

I have a question on your comment about N-600 for child. If you have already filed N-600 and they asked you about all dates of trip of the child to USA, can you give more details of your experience? I personally think law does not require any physical presence requirement of the child after he becomes LPR. It says that child must arrive at POE with valid LPR status with the USC parent and the child is automatically ( by operation of Law) a USC on such entry. Then why this issue about details of trips etc.?
A friend of mine is planning to file N 600 for his child, and therefore , please let me know your experience with such situation.

Sorry, my fault. This is only applicable to people born before 10.10.1952 claiming citizenship at the time of birth.

GeneM said:
Well, I actually kept track of all my trips outside of the country

I was afraid I would hear something like that. Me and my clumsy book keeping. Anyway, I did my best to pull the dates together. If they see any discrepancy, I'll worry about it then. Most of the trips are less than 2-3 weeks and hopefully it wouldn't bother them as I'm well above the minimum residency requirements.

Thanks.