Delayed N-400

longjour

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

NOV. 7
I, along-with my eligible to apply family members applied in the beginning half of 'July XX, 2013' for citizenship at the Phoenix, AZ lock-box. I received a receipt of it in two days and ever since my file has been in initial review, this November XX, it will be four months without any progress, same with my family members

(one of the family members didn't even get a receipt notice in mail but instead got an email with the case number the receipt email. also on another note separate email addresses were provided but USCIS sent everybody's email to my/one email address )

I also called the 1800 number and received the following response "You're within the 5 months processing time limit of your USCIS field office, please be patient". However, I see here people get FP notices in 'around' two weeks time and are scheduled for interview by the fourth month,

ONLINE tool shows the following
Initial Review
On July XX, 2013, we received this N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION, and mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow any instructions on this notice. You will be notified by mail when a decision is made, or if the office needs something from you. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or contact our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

NOV. 8
InfoPass Appointment attended at 745am and was out by 815am,

officer at the field office advised to call the 1800 AGAIN and tell 'them' to create "SRMT Inquiry", as our files are still at the National Benefits Center :confused: the field officer was reading the following out loud but didn't explain this when reading my case on his computer "fingerprints requested, request declined, requested again denied again", then he said the above, adding that "there is something wrong with the system", "it looks like they are trying and its not going through". "So, call them".

I called again and was advised to wait 15 days or call back by the FIRST PERSON who answered, I also told this officer on the phone that my family members who applied along with me have same problem, he said, they need to call separately and talk to another officer over the phone.
now when the other applicant called 1800 first person to respond heard his (same as mine) story and said she will have to transfer him to someone else regarding his case and transferred the line to the TIER II officer I assume? officer took down his story and said he will receive ASC appointment letter in two weeks time or call back, which is I think a biometrics notice

Summary:
three calls were made to USCIS
Call 1 Applicant 1: Tier I officer gave a confirmation number saying request has been put through and, "if you do not hear anything in 15 days call back with the given reference number".
Call 2 Applicant 2: Tier II officer gave no reference number (neither one was asked for) but advised that applicant will receive a letter in two weeks time or else call back
Call 3 Applicant 3: (same like call 1)

After call 2 I feel better, atleast Applicant 2 got a better answer from USCIS

NOV. 22
15 Calendar Days have passed with no response from USCIS, (Giving benefit of doubt) I think they meant 15 business days, I will wait some more days.

NOV. 27
Patience broke :D I called them only to receive the following response "OK, I see your file is at the local office" "You have to wait 30 days from the date of request"

10 more days and the 5 month processing time of the field office will be over :(
I see countless threads of people with similar problems but no one has followed their threads through.

Update: I called 12/06/2013 INQUIRING about my first srmt request and was suggested if I haven't received a response I should submit another request I told the phone operator I will hold off until I make my second infopass appt. I scheduled infopass for 12/13/2013 so my 5 months are completely over, and so that they don't give me the processing time BS, meanwhile the following happened.

UPDATE (2) 12/11/2013 3:50 pm checked my mailbox :D

1 ASC notice received, dated 12/04/2013

Update (3) Infopass appointment, two more ASC notices dated 08/01/2013 print outs received from the IO and was suggested a walk-in after he called somewhere, didn't tell me and I didn't bother

HELP!!!

I will post all the information here, so it can benefit some other poor soul some day

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi longjour,

I had an issue of not recieving my FP notice for a long long time. mailed my n400 app on Sept 5th,recieved 6th, check cashed 11th,NOA recieved around 16th and no FP notice whatsoever after that..

Called #1800 opened 1st SR and told to wait for 30days..counted every single day..call back again and went in loops like you. Short story is took 2 InfoPass appt,.1st was told to wait as I was still within 5 month time zone etc. 2nd info pass I told the IO I want to meet the Supervisor and she was late to work that day. The IO told me he put my name in the FP que and the NBC has to send us out the FP notice and ASC cannot do anything beyond that. I left and did not mee the supervisor .

But looks like putting me in the FP que at the ASC helped me out and I recieved my FP notice next week (and ..I did not check my mail for that entire week not expecting anything exciting other than my bills and junk mail)

good luck with you and try this FP que in the next INFOPASS, dont open many Service REquests with NBC..its an absolute waste of time and u can lose your mind with it

good luck and hope u get out of your misery soon !

Hi longjour,

I had an issue of not recieving my FP notice for a long long time. mailed my n400 app on Sept 5th,recieved 6th, check cashed 11th,NOA recieved around 16th and no FP notice whatsoever after that..

Called #1800 opened 1st SR and told to wait for 30days..counted every single day..call back again and went in loops like you. Short story is took 2 InfoPass appt,.1st was told to wait as I was still within 5 month time zone etc. 2nd info pass I told the IO I want to meet the Supervisor and she was late to work that day. The IO told me he put my name in the FP que and the NBC has to send us out the FP notice and ASC cannot do anything beyond that. I left and did not mee the supervisor .

But looks like putting me in the FP que at the ASC helped me out and I recieved my FP notice next week (and ..I did not check my mail for that entire week not expecting anything exciting other than my bills and junk mail)

good luck with you and try this FP que in the next INFOPASS, dont open many Service REquests with NBC..its an absolute waste of time and u can lose your mind with it

Thanks for sharing here, it is greatly appreciated next week is when 30 days to first SRMT request is over as well as 5 months processing time.

Hi longjour,

Update: I called 12/06/2013 INQUIRING about my first srmt request and was suggested if I haven't received a response I should submit another request I told the phone operator I will hold off until I make my second infopass appt. I scheduled infopass for 12/13/2013 so my 5 months are completely over, and so that they don't give me the processing time BS, meanwhile the following happened.

UPDATE (2) 12/11/2013 3:50 pm PST checked my mailbox :D

ASC notice received, dated 12/04/2013, I will cancel infopass appt. scheduled for 12/13/2013
once I receive two more for my co-applicants, the current pattern is such that I always receive my notice first and my family members receive their notices the following day :\

I didn't call or did anything else I just received it.

Curiosity led me to USCIS CASE STATUS TOOL and its still showing "Initial Review", in other words unupdated

updated OP

Another UPDATE

12/13/2013

No news for my co-applicants so we went in for infopass appointment today, and guess what story came to light, our ASC notices dated 08/01/2013 were printed from the USCIS computer by the same guy who last time suggested we make a 'SRMT Inquiry'
we never got anything in the mail, neither a response from USCIS customer service, so much time just wasted.

IO kept re-checking our addresses with us (I can recount atleast 4 times), he even went to ask if we were home that day :/

IO said to walk-in next week to my co-applicants even before my ASC date :p

ALL ASC NOTICES ARE IN LINE NOW, I HOPE ITS SMOOTH FROM HERE ON OUT