Delay in getting SSN - New H1B visa

dan19

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

My wife changed her visa from H4 to H1 Oct 1st 2005 onwards.
She applied for the Social Security Number the first week of October itself.
Almost a month as passed now!!

She needs it urgently to undergo a background check for a new job.
Everytime we visit the SSN office, they give a reply that they are awaiting the results of a verification from USCIS.

Has anyone who applied for SSN during October got it?
How long does it take?
Is there any way to speed-up the process? Like, we calling the USCIS directly ...

I would greatly appreciate your comments.

Thanks in Advance.

H4 to H1 and SSN

Hi,
I am also facing the same problem. the SSN office sent my documents to the consulate and they rejected it saying that i am still on H4.Though i have my H1B papers with me, they rejected it.I called up the toll free number of INS and they suggested that i make an appointment with the local INS office and see an immigration officer.

SSN verification problem

hi

I am also in the same boat.I have applied SSN 15 days back.they sent some
verification notice to the Immigration office.
They are saying it will take minimum 4 weeks to get a reply from the immigration office.
what do we need to do now?

Kismat

I understand the frustration. We also also in the same path.

But I heard some people are already working as they got apporval recently. I would say this is all time/kismat...

-DE

Friends...

I am posting again.
It has been 5 weeks since we applied for the SSN.
I have no clue when we will get the SSN. Some lucky ones have got it in 2 weeks!!

Does anyone know what exact process the INS do. Do they do some lengthy background checks? I am just confused why there is this much delay in our cases!!

I heard from some people saying that we need to meet immigration officer in
USCIS to make the process faster.They have to send the verification letter
to SSN office then only they can give SSN for us.

Please respond if anything else we need to do?

Hey Guys,
I have a similiar situation. I switched from H4 to H1 this OCT and got the approval notice and I-94. When I went to the SSN office for applyin SSN, they were trying to access my records with the old I-94 in the passport that was stamped when I came to US on H4 and that one is now expired. They didnt even look at the 797 and the I-94 that came with it. But they asked me to provide EAD to apply SSN. (They said I could get that in 3-4 weeks if I contact the INS. SO WHY IS EVERYONE WAITING FOR YEARS TO GET PR?)
EAD is the last step of getting a Green card. How can the SSn officers asked me to get an EAD so simply juz for applying an SSN for work. Surprised...the SSN officers dont know even this basic stuff ...what to say?

Suggest me a way to file for SSN.

FRIENDS, PLS GIVE ME THE DOCS YOU TOOK TO SSN OFFICE AT THE TIME OF APPLYING.THAT Will BE OF GREAT HELP TO ME.

Thanks a lot.
Awaiting your reply.

Hi Friends,
Today I applied for SSN in a different office, but in the receipt it says that since they are not able to verify my records they will check my documents with the agency which issued them (INS) and if they verify it to be correct, SSA with issue me SSN otherwise NO. It says it will take 4 weeks but actually how long will it take?
Can I start working in this situation?
Will it be helpful to meet the immigration officer telling him update my status and send a letter to the SSN office? (In the SSN office they said it will be of no use)
What if the INS couldnt confirm my status?
Am very confused. Pls let me know what could be done.
Appreciate your reply very much.

Thanks a lot.

Hi Asterixxz,

Iam also in the same boat.I got my H1 approved this DEC(H4-H1).I went to apply for SSN on 4th Jan.The officer said that your status is still showing H4,,
to verify that your on H1-B we will send your papers to USCIS and this will take around 8 weeks.
8 weeks is too long time,can anyone suggest a method to speed up the process.
Some companies definitely need SSN to work.
If any one has similar experiences please do share with us.

1.) If you dont have a visa stamped in your passport, it always takes more than 6 weeks to get SSN.

2.) Dont expect any knowledge of immigration rules (even the basic understanding of H-1B approval document) from SSN officials.

3.) It took 20 weeks for my case.

4.) Sometimes SSA issues SSN, but the one which says "Not eligible for employment". And this process of getting rid takes same time as the first one.

5.) No, aliens are not eligible to work without having a valid SSN.

Thanks for the reply "lookinhintoit".
But if it takes a while to get SSN, wont that become a gap in the H1? How can we avoid it? CAn we prove the SSN delay to avoid the gap?
Pls reply.
Thanks

Maybe the rules changed, but when I applied in New York for SSN, I had the visa and piece of paper, explaining that I can work. They took all the info, gave me the reciept that I applied for SSN.
I started to work the next day with that reciept. In about 2 weeks I recieved the SSN and gave it to employer.
I know that it is OK to work as long as you have permission from INS and applied for SSN.
Now my wife changed from F1 to H1, all she showed is copy of H1-B approval notice(she had original I-94 bottom part of notice). Two weeks later, SSN card in the mail. That happened about a year ago in Chicago.

Okay for the employer is one thing, Okay for the USCIS is another. If you employer is satisfied with a SSN receipt, it is no good. On the receipt of SSN application, it clearly mentions you are not suppose to work during this period.

I am not sure how you deal with the GAP in H-1B lateron, but you should document all the SSN receipts and try to contact the SSN office time and again.

As I told maybe rules changed. Or maybe I misunderstood the post. When they tell you , that SSN is in the mail it was OK to work. And I was told that in SS office. I did not show up at the employer and did not make it up. Instead giving me a boot up my butt they let me work. By the time I got first paycheck, I had SSN. No gaps...
Employer usually pays you every 2-4 weeks. They pay taxes to SSN not every day. I am no expert in accounting, but they can employ you without SSN for a little while.
As for the USCIS they should not have any problem since they gave you permision to work. This is between SS office and your employer.
But then again a lot of things changed... SS office should clarify what to do in this situation... It sound unreasonable to wait months for SSN...
Just my opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
H4 to H1 . didnt get SSN yet ..

Hi all,

I am also facing the same problem . My H4 to H1 (COS) got approved and i applied for SSN on Nov 14th. They say that they see my status as H4 and need to check the documemts from CIS. Its been 10 weeks . I call them twice a week and visited often but no USE.
I am worried about the status. Will i be of Illegal status as its been 3 months i got my H1 and i am not working ?
And i read some folks saying that taking an appointment with an Immigration officer will be useful . Is it so ? does they ask too many questions ? . Is it suggestable to go to an immigration officer ?
My LCA is of different state and i applied for SSN in a different state Does the immigration officer asks about this ?

Any one Pls help ..

CSESparkle,

I've been facing the same problem and I fixed up an appointment with the immgration officer and met him. He said that such situation (INS not updating the status from H4 to H1) is very common and the only thing that could be is to WAIT. I asked him if he could update the status since I have a valid I797,I-94 etc. He said NO and asked me to wait till the updation is done by the people who process it.
With regards to the LCA, I applied for H1B from a different state and b4 it came we moved to another state and applied for SSN from there. So when should I transfer my LCA? I'm currently not working. Can you pls give some details on the LCA stuff?

Thanks

Hi Asterixxz,

Thanks for your information .

Reg the LCA. neither i know about it . I read in some forum that we need to take the LCA while visiting the immigration officer . So i just posted the query. To my knowledge once you get the job your employer will take care of the LCA .
You said you have went to immigration officer . so can you tell me what all docs to be taken while visiting immigration officer ? .

Thanks

asterixxz,

Could you tell me which immigration office you went to? I am planning to visit the San francisco USCIS office, and I'm hoping they will be more helpful there...

Hey Guys,
I visited the Chicago office. You need to take:
1. your Passport (with Old I-94)
2. H1B approval Notice (I-797 with new I-94)
3. Receipt from Social Security when you applied for SSN

Take all the Visa related docs you have (even ur old Visa docs). Dont know at what time what they need!!! For me, the visit was not helpful since the officer told me to wait till the INS does the processing and inform the SSA.

You guys post your experience after visiting INS . Good Luck!!!

Hi,

Just an FYI.
We applied for SSN on Nov.16,2005 and received it on Jan.24,2006. So it took around 9 weeks to get the SSN card.
The LCA and the SSN office we applied at are in CA.