Decision Could Not Be Made At This Time

orlfla

Registered Users (C)
I had my naturalization interview yesterday in Orlando, FL and on the N - 652 form given to me at the end of the interview, it was checked that I had PASSED both the History and English tests. What is scaring me is that there was another check by DECISION COULD NOT BE MADE AT THIS TIME. And nothing on the Congratulations! part (Where I was hoping it would be!) The officer wrote “file review” Can you please let me know what this means, I am really confused as I was not told to bring any additional documents. All the interviewing officer said to me was that they were going to send me something in the mail. I am 100% sure that my record is clean and I have stayed for over 6 yrs continuously…..??? Please help.

orlfla said:
I had my naturalization interview yesterday in Orlando, FL and on the N - 652 form given to me at the end of the interview, it was checked that I had PASSED both the History and English tests. What is scaring me is that there was another check by DECISION COULD NOT BE MADE AT THIS TIME. And nothing on the Congratulations! part (Where I was hoping it would be!) The officer wrote “file review” Can you please let me know what this means, I am really confused as I was not told to bring any additional documents. All the interviewing officer said to me was that they were going to send me something in the mail. I am 100% sure that my record is clean and I have stayed for over 6 yrs continuously…..??? Please help.
Did the interviewer ask for any documents you could not provide at the interview or what? Didn't you ask him why your case need to be reviewed?

She simply said she was not able to make a final decision. I dont know if that meant that she was not 'authorized' to make a final decision, or there was something wrong on my part. She went over the whole application and everthing was fine...she said i should hear from them in 120 days. I just want to know if there is anyone who has had the same experience.

orlfla

During or after the interview, if officer did not specifically ask you about any particular information or documentation about your case which you were unable to provide at that time then it's seemed that there is nothing wrong in your case. It's a normal procedure in some USCIS offices wherein Supervior of interviewing officer will have to review the naturalization case before making a final decision. That's called-'File Review'. Further, it might also be possible that interviewing officer just wants to make sure all the details of your green card from your A file before making a final decision on your naturalization application as a green card is definately reviewed before a decision is made on N-400. So, take it easy and just wait.

I hope that that is the case. I really can’t think of anything else!:confused: I wish they would have told me something. I didn’t want to sound too pushy so I just smiled, said thank you, and walked right out! The process takes sooo long (especially here in Orlando.) I really can’t afford to have something go wrong! …I guess I am just going to keep my fingers crossed, and WAIT! Thanx.

It may be because your name check has not cleared yet. I was told the same thing, "decision cannot be made," at my interview. I had to ask twice b4 they told me it was the pending name check. So you really should have asked specifically at your interview. DO you have a common name? If so, you are very likely stuck in the name check.

Check the very first thread on name check (the 1st post by Mr. Kumar) for information on how to check the status.

orlfla

As you may already know that most of times the reason for not to have a decision on N-400 after the interview is because of 'Pending Name Check', but since each case is different and unique, so obviously you cannot rule out any other possibilities. I know that some people are assuming here for the reason for you not had a decision in your case because of the possiblity of 'Pending Name Check', but I personally don't think so. Because, if the 'Name Check' wasn't been cleared in your case then officer must have told you so immediately after the interview. Secondly, then officer must have written on N-652 as 'Pending for Name Check' instead of 'File Review'. File Review means- either officer wants to review alien's whole immigration file to verify/check some specific information, or officer might want his/her supervisor to have a second review on applicant's N-400 application before making a final decison on N-400 as some offices do have this procedure which is called- Double-check.

I think that Memphis Disctrict Office is one of those offices where the interviewer doesn't have the authority to approve the case right away. Today, i received an answer from the USCIS through my state senator; mr. Bill Frist. He thankfully contacted the USCIS on the 22nd of march and got the answer the following day. I would like to remind you that my interview was a breeze on Feb 7th. at memphis DO. No complications whatsoever, no warrants , no arrests, clean record. the interview was only 10 minutes and the interviewer told me at the end that i should hear from then within 6 months. She marked the " you passed the tests of English and history etc...." but didn't mark anything else! she didn't say anything else. The reply states the following word by word ; " The case is with an officer for review. After reviewing the case the officer will issue a decision." that's it. Do you guys think it's a standard procedure in Memphis to do that. Specially that a girl had an interview a week ahead of me still didn't hear anything. also another girl had her interview the day following me still didn't hear anything! I guess i should be fine then. And Amishah from the same district office had her interview on Jan 5th and got the oath letter on March 7th. Little over 2 months.Oh, i am so happy that i don't have a name check problem. Please guys tell me what do you think! I am scanning the document for you to look and judge.Please watch for my new thread under the title " i heard something finally".
Please give me your opinion and i would be very thankfull.
thank.

Your timeline???

Hi OrlFla:
What is your timeline? I am still waiting for my interview and am trying to get an idea as to how long the wait is going to be here in Orlando. My timeline is:

PD: 7/13/2004
FP: 10/2/2004
Interview: ?????
Oath: ?????

I applied on Jan 31st 2004, Finger printing on Marh 28th 2004, Interview March 29th 2005 but they said a decion couldnt be made and she said we should hear from them before 4 months is up..i guess i just have to sit tight and wait :)

orlfla said:
I applied on Jan 31st 2004, Finger printing on Marh 28th 2004, Interview March 29th 2005 but they said a decion couldnt be made and she said we should hear from them before 4 months is up..i guess i just have to sit tight and wait :)

Hey,
I don't think you really have to worry about it just wait patiently. And trust me with the Orlando office (which has been proven to take the longest out of all the states :) BTW) you really have to be patient. I had my interview since Mid October and am still waiting for an Oath letter. My interviewer wrote on my form pending name checks which scares me somewhat cause alot of people have posted problems about name checks just causing delays for years. I'm going in this week to find out what's happening with my case. If they tell me something that doesnt sound promising I am going to write my Senator to see if that can help any. There is no easy way out you just got to wait and keep your fingers crossed. I don't mean to scare you but its the reality of things. Just keep faith and patience. I also had a friend who recently got his citezenship and he said from interview date it took about 7 months to get the oath letter.
Good luck man,

time of oath from interview

Dear Orlfa i had my interview on nov 04 @ west palm do and had a mark on congratulation on the form ( forgot the no) .after that i went to do twice and the same answer is file is being reviewed by superviser.finally i received the re-fp notice as original f-p expired after 15 months .so my advise to u is be patient and pray .regading name check i think if that was the problem io would have let u know @ time of interview so please be patient and write in this forum thanks .Rittwalfh .PS my timeline Nd-sept03,fp-oct 03,interview-novo4 second fp-feb05.oath?????

I got a dumb question. Fingerprints are good for 15 months from the time they were first taken after your processing date?So does this mean that if I had my interview within the 15 month period and am just waiting for Oath and background check is pending that I will have to take a 2nd FP after the 15 months has passed? Should I get notified if that's the case?
I had my Interview in 04 of October and haven't heard anything yet. It's going to be 6 months soon and I havent received a 2nd FP notice (if I am supposed to get one). I am going in next week to my DO to find out what's happening. Can someone clarify please?

dood said:
I got a dumb question. Fingerprints are good for 15 months from the time they were first taken after your processing date?So does this mean that if I had my interview within the 15 month period and am just waiting for Oath and background check is pending that I will have to take a 2nd FP after the 15 months has passed? Should I get notified if that's the case?
I had my Interview in 04 of October and haven't heard anything yet. It's going to be 6 months soon and I havent received a 2nd FP notice (if I am supposed to get one). I am going in next week to my DO to find out what's happening. Can someone clarify please?
It's not a dumb question, it's a dumb rule. If you do not get naturalized in 15 months after getting your FP done, you would need to do it again. Normally, they would send the second FP notice to you. But, if you go to DO when your fingerprints are expired, they should give you the 2nd FP notice at DO.

dood said:
keep an eye for the 2nd fp notice if u dont get it contact your do rittwalfh

Thanks for the info. It does sound kind of dumb. I guess fingerprints change over time?Especially if you're like a construction worker or something :) .

well Dood u might ask that to your fp officer when he/she is taking your 2nd fp they might be able to answer this dumb question.rittwalfh

I have a question regarding my case, I contracted the 1-800 number that is on the USCIS website and they didnt even know that i went for the interview. It says still waiting for interview so i informed them that i went for the interivew but said FILE REVIEW! I want to know how can i contact the lady who Interviewed me. As she told me that its up to the person who gave you the interview if they want re- finger prints or not. I have the ladies last name beacause its on the N-652 FORM that she gave me but there is no Number? Is there anyway we can contact them by phone. I tried to go on INFOPASS to schedule an appointment and they said no appoints can be scheduled for that office in Orlando.. so i dont even know who to contact now as the USCIS website and number are more backwards.

Very confused.. someone who knows any answers please help???

Follow up

You should send a post-interview thank you letter to the interviewing officer in Orlando Office, and request her to complete the "File Review" and make the final decision on your case. Since it hasn't been that long from the time you did the interview, I would hold off contacting Senator and Congressman's Office for now. You may not hear anything, but reveive an oath letter in the next 1-2 months.

Don't hesitate to visit Orlando Office, it generates activitiy on your file. If you don't get anywhere in the next month or so then contact Senator and Congressman's Office.

sg_orl said:
You should send a post-interview thank you letter to the interviewing officer in Orlando Office, and request her to complete the "File Review" and make the final decision on your case. Since it hasn't been that long from the time you did the interview, I would hold off contacting Senator and Congressman's Office for now. You may not hear anything, but reveive an oath letter in the next 1-2 months.

Don't hesitate to visit Orlando Office, it generates activitiy on your file. If you don't get anywhere in the next month or so then contact Senator and Congressman's Office.
I believe orlfla has the interview back in December , so it has been enough time for him to worry and ask around, even file a mandamus or administrative relief by the district court.
Regarding going to the DO, he said in his message that he couldn't have an infopass appointment as there was no appointment for his USCIS office!
but i think sg_orl's idea of sending a "thank-you" letter is pretty good!
go for it, you have nothing to lose!
good luck :)