Decision cannot be made because of missing 2nd A-file

n400_app

Registered Users (C)
Had my interview today. IO said decision cannot be made because I have a 2nd A file. They are still waiting for the 2nd A file. Anybody in this same situation and how long will it take to get a decision? Note that I passed the English and History test.

Had my interview today. IO said decision cannot be made because I have a 2nd A file. They are still waiting for the 2nd A file. Anybody in this same situation and how long will it take to get a decision? Note that I passed the English and History test.

same here its a month now and no decision has been made

same story here again,

had the interview 2 weeks ago. and nothing so far....

can u guys tell me what DO/field office and ur time lines?(PD)?

This is quite a common problem and there have been many posts in this forum about similar situations, e.g. see a recent thread here
http://forums.immigration.com/showt...-have-to-wait-for-decision.-what-is-an-a-file

They cannot approve the application until your A-files are unified. It could take from a few weeks to a few months, depending on how quickly they get your second A-file and review it.

If you have not gotten an oath letter by 120 days after the interview, you can file a 1447(b) lawsuit to force them to adjudicate your application. However, it is most likely that you'll get a decision well before that, probably in a few weeks.

technically u got to wait 120 days before u can do anything, but uscis advises that u give them a call if there is no updates/mails after 90 days so they could initiate a process with the DO/field office where the interview took place. till that date we got no option other than to wait .

Thanks, Baikal3. Hope they find the second file real soon. Any person from the Fairfax, VA DO in the same situation?

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but this is a major problem that did defang my I-485 several years ago. Not only was it transferred from TSC to ADO for a local-office interview, but nothing happened and my case lay in limbo. Nobody wanted to deal with it and several InfoPass visits finally landed me into a black, lady-officer, who had a word with the adjudicators to have me interviewed! However, it is during the interview, I came to know that there were 2 Alien numbers that prevented an approval after interview. For the next 5 months, the officer, who told me at the time of interview, that she has put a request with the central file authority to send her the other Alien # file and that she will "merge" both the files and then eliminate one of them for my case to be approved. This just never happened! Anyway, for the next 5 months after interview, I had to run from pillar-to-post to get my case approved, which never happened. You can read the full account I posted 5 years ago here: http://bit.ly/9kX8Kc

Moral: You need to be proactive to keep on applying the pressure. Having multiple A#s for a single individual is always a case that no officer wants to deal with.

Unless you're going to be proactive enough to keep nudging, it won't get anywhere -- even if it involves taking the Lord's name in vain :) Keep going on InfoPass visits and insist that you talk to the officer who interviewed you. It won't be easy and it will take several disappointed visits before you see light at the end of the tunnel!

Last edited by a moderator:
i called the uscis up, they said that yesterday my case was handed over to a different person and they approved it today ...geeees... they said the oath invitation shall come in 3 weeks

i called the uscis up, they said that yesterday my case was handed over to a different person and they approved it today ...geeees... they said the oath invitation shall come in 3 weeks

Hey, that's great news. See, you need to keep nudging them in order to resolve this duplicate A# problem. Anyway, all is over. Congratulations. Enjoy.

Hi

Congratulations. Great news to hear, Please post when you got the OL.

Hi Sreeleshk

Congratulations for getting OL. Can you share with us that where the OL was mailed from(I mean from NBC or DO). Thanks