Deciding between CP/AOS - lived in different countries

DesiG

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I would appreciate some advice on my situation.

I am still in the final stages of getting my LC - so I haven't even applied for I-140 yet. But I am playing around with the decision of whether to go for AOS or CP - I know the relative arguments of time vs. EAD and AC21 etc.

But here is my particular situation - and I was wondering if this situation should affect the decision. I was born in India, but I grew up sort of all over - my parents worked in several different countries - so I have lived in India, Singapore, Malaysia, UK, back in India again and United Arab Emirates :eek: and finally, in Canada since I was 19. (But just India, UAE and Canada since I was 16) I am a Canadian citizen now - working in the US on H1B.

Now I have heard that for CP, you need to get a police clearance certificate for every country you have lived in since you turn 16 - is this true? Is this required for AOS as well?

I doubt I would be able to get the PCC from all those countries - in fact, I think the UAE does not issue PCCs for individuals who do not currently live there (but I would have to check up on this). India and Canada should be no problem - and I have no ideas on the others.

So I guess my question is - is there a difference between CP and AOS when it comes to getting PCCs? Have others been through this experience of having lived in multiple countries - did you have to get PCCs from all those countries?

Thanks for any input!
DG

edited for typo

desig:

Now I have heard that for CP, you need to get a police clearance certificate for every country you have lived in since you turn 16 - is this true?

Answer: True assuming you lived in each of these countries
A) for 1 year or more and
B) after the age of 16.
==============================================

Is this required for AOS as well?

Answer: Yes

I doubt I would be able to get the PCC from all those countries - in fact, I think the UAE does not issue PCCs for individuals who do not currently live there (but I would have to check up on this). India and Canada should be no problem - and I have no ideas on the others.

Answer: Assuming all these countries issue PCC's , You can apply to the consulates (of many of these countries ) in usa. But you will need to do more research of each individual countries and PCC requirements.

So I guess my question is - is there a difference between CP and AOS when it comes to getting PCCs? Have others been through this experience of having lived in multiple countries - did you have to get PCCs from all those countries?

Answer: No difference between CP or AOS as far as PCC requirement is concerned.

Originally posted by DesiG
Hi all,

I would appreciate some advice on my situation.

different countries - so I have lived in India, Singapore, Malaysia, UK, back in India again and United Arab Emirates :eek: and finally, in Canada since I was 19. (But just India, UAE and Canada since I was 16) I am a Canadian citizen now - working in the US on H1B.

{I basically concur with what kd has posted above, but I do
understand your particular concern about getting a PCC from
UAE. If I remember correctly what I read in one of the posts
was they (UAE) do not issue a PCC unless it is applied in
person (?) .

Research the forum with the key word 'PCC from UAE' or
some variation to get information on this. Another way is
to try and go to that country's website. }

Thanks for any input!
DG

edited for typo

{my response}

Raju

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback - though now I have some major work ahead! - but at least I know now that I have to do all that legwork.

I will ask my lawyer about what's needed, and how to go about getting it!

Thanks again everyone,
DG