DCF done without a lawyer. How can it be done?

Jesus Baray

Hi there forum members,
I've heard a loooot of things about how to achieve the obtaining of a Green Card and it seems that my best option is to apply for it directly from the U.S. Embassy here at Mexico.

My wife (a US Citizen) and I are already married in the state of Texas but we live in Mexico.
So, we attempted to hire a lawyer, and since he tried to charged us 3,ooo USD for his job we immediately refused and now we're wondering: Is there a way to file the petition by ourselves without the help of a lawyer?

Our case is nothing special, never had problems with the law, no need of asking for pardons or stuff like that.
I hope you can help me with this since we don't know nothing about it. Do you arrive to the embassy with an appointment or without it? What documents do you take there the first time? Can I apply for an adjustment of status? Is that option more convenient?

You do not need a lawyer. Just file I 130 first and after it gets approved they will guide you. You can find a lot of info all around the immigration web pages.
Your wife should have a domicile in the US and and means to sponsor you.

AOS is a term that for people in the US that adjust their status. It does not apply to you, to people who do consular processing. (CP)

You do not need a lawyer. Just file I 130 first and after it gets approved they will guide you. You can find a lot of info all around the immigration web pages.
Your wife should have a domicile in the US and and means to sponsor you. (CP)

In that case, do you know if we just arrive at the embassy without an appointment?