Date of Permanent Residence

Chand2020

Registered Users (C)
Hello Again,
On the N400 application, there is a question for Date one became a perm. resident. The N400 instructions advise / require us to use the date from the perm. residence card. I am not sure if this is common but in my case, the date on the perm. res. card is almost a year earlier than the I551 stamp in the passport, which i believe is the date of permanent residence.

Can someone please clarify which date should be listed on my N400 form (The date of passport stamp or the date on the perm. res. card.)
Thank you again.

Does the date on your card actually match the date your PR was granted? If USCIS made an error in the date go with what you think is the the correct date.

If you were an asylum case, in a lot of cases the actual GC is backdated one year from the grant of PR. This is normal and not an error.
If you feel your date is in error, apply for correction before you apply for N400.

Confused

Well my case was employment based immigration, not asylum. All along
i thought the perm. res. card date is I-140 approval or something similar. (Possibly I485 receipt, not I485 approval)

In either case, I have well over or 8 years since GC (even with the passport stamp/later date) The problem is the instuctions require the date from the card. I will wait to see if there are more people in my situation, else i might look for getting this changed.

Well my case was employment based immigration, not asylum. All along
i thought the perm. res. card date is I-140 approval or something similar. (Possibly I485 receipt, not I485 approval)

In either case, I have well over or 8 years since GC (even with the passport stamp/later date) The problem is the instuctions require the date from the card. I will wait to see if there are more people in my situation, else i might look for getting this changed.
The date your I-485 was approved is what counts and that is what should be on your card. If the date on the card is backed up by a year, then it is a mistake on part of INS or USCIS as it is called today. Even if you strictly go by the instruction in the giude and use the date on the card, the interviewing officer will correct it as he/she would go thru each item in the application during the interview process. Since you have been a PR for the last 8 years, you will not have any eligibility problems as a result of using the incorrect date. Good luck with your application.