Dad wants to travel in August. Current Visa expires in March. Advice needed on couple questions

Asif2000

Registered Users (C)
My dad's visa expires in March 2014. He is intending to travel in August 2014. He is traveling from Pakistan. Here are a couple of questions:

1. Can he apply for new visa now while his current visa is still valid for another.

2. Assuming that the answer to #1 above is YES. if they were to deny his new visa application, will they also cancel his current visa? The thought process here is, apply for new visa, if denied, travel now (before march) using current visa that doesn't expire till march.

Thanks in advance

A1: Yes
A2: If his new application is denied, his older visa will most likely be cancelled

My dad's visa expires in March 2014. He is intending to travel in August 2014. He is traveling from Pakistan. Here are a couple of questions:

1. Can he apply for new visa now while his current visa is still valid for another.

2. Assuming that the answer to #1 above is YES. if they were to deny his new visa application, will they also cancel his current visa? The thought process here is, apply for new visa, if denied, travel now (before march) using current visa that doesn't expire till march.

Thanks in advance

similar situation. it is going to be my dad's first time traveling to the US since granted a 10-year B1/B2 visa. my sister just became LPR and will go back home to bring dad to travel in the US for a month and then accompany him back home.

then, will it pose a problem at the port of entry if the visa is valid for 6 months before entering? and what about entering with a recently granted LPR daughter.

thanks in advance.

Neither of these should cause a problem on their own with regards to his entry attempt. Key is to satisfy the officer at the POE that he will depart the US in a timely fashion.

will it pose a problem at the port of entry if the visa is valid for 6 months before entering? and what about entering with a recently granted LPR daughter.

Reactions: CWH
Neither of these should cause a problem on their own with regards to his entry attempt. Key is to satisfy the officer at the POE that he will depart the US in a timely fashion.
Thanks for your reply. But how to satisfy the IO apart from the return ticket?

There is no definitive or quantitative answer to that question. He just needs to overcome 214(b) at the POE. The admitting officer will ask him questions about his trip intentions and plans. He needs to truthfully answer them and await the officer's decision.

But how to satisfy the IO apart from the return ticket?

There is no definitive or quantitative answer to that question. He just needs to overcome 214(b) at the POE. The admitting officer will ask him questions about his trip intentions and plans. He needs to truthfully answer them and await the officer's decision.
Do you think that my sister can or should accompany him during interview with IO at POE? He barely speaks English and that's why my sister has to go home to bring him here for travel. Thank you for your help!

Since they are traveling together, I see no reason for them not to approach the POE officer together.

Do you think that my sister can or should accompany him during interview with IO at POE? He barely speaks English and that's why my sister has to go home to bring him here for travel. Thank you for your help!