Current USCIS Status on I-485

someone2007

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,
I will be sending my Green Card application next week and I want to know what I should write in

Part1.
Current USCIS Status: _______________

I entered with H1B visa and applied for asylum 6 months after that ..

Thank you in advance

1,you must write ASYLEE.
If your parents petitioned you, than write,

2,DERIVATIVE ASYLEE.

regardless of what you were before, you are an asylee so write ASYLEE.

1,you must write ASYLEE.
If your parents petitioned you, than write,

2,DERIVATIVE ASYLEE.

regardless of what you were before, you are an asylee so write ASYLEE.

Thank you jonny
I have also heard that I should write "valid indefinitely"
is that correct ?

some information about i-485 and RTD

HI Everyone,

I just wanted to share some information about my experience in being asylee and about applying for i-485 and RTD (refugee travel document.)

I hope some people find this information useful as I learned so much from what people posted here (although some of them can be erroneous)

I first applied for asylum in december 2007 with an assistant of a lawyer. There are a lot of people who does it without lawyer and succeed also but if your not sure and want assurance and not comfortable doing it on your own hire a lawyer. they will help you with all the paperwork and practice for the interview. but it will ultimately depend on YOU, based on how you reply to the questions asked by the immigration officer. He is a human after all, if you let him know that your story is real and desperate then your case is headed for approval.
People from certain countries get asylum easier than others because persecution of many kinds is widely known in that country but also since it really depends on your individual case your case can be unique and qualifying.

My asylee status was approved in March 2008. (although it could have been month earlier as there was some mistakes made. I brought copy of my fingerprint notice rather then the original copy. for that they couldn't scan it properly to enter fingerprint data into the system)

After this I applied for RTD (refugee travel document twice). I applied using expedition. Just write down why it is an emergency( for.exam mother is sick and need emergency operation in another country where you need to travel etc.) and you have to pay for prepaid express envelopes. all the instructions are on the uscis.gov website. anyway it took about 2 and half months.
did the second same way but through my lawyer. it took 3 and half months.

I also noticed that it is better to do these things yourself since you can be very careful not to miss anything and do anything wrong. If you do it through lawyer they could overlook certain things and make typing mistakes therefore delaying the process. because they always rely on these clumsy assistants or interns to do all the paperwork.

Finally I applied for I-485 to adjust my status in June 2009. although i became eligible in March, 2009. Receipt date is July2,2009. I did it myself as well. I wanted to make sure i do everything correctly. besides the lawyer wanted to charge me arms and legs.
I did the medical examination. and copied and translated my birth certificate by the embassy of my country. filled out the forms. two pictures. copy of my asylum approval letter. check for 1010 dollars. and that was it!

and today surprisingly when i checked the status of my case on uscis.gov using the receipt number it said "they ordered production of my green card" and please allow 30 days to be shipped. I was surprised they did not first send me a fingerprint notice. maybe they will do it later. but was bit confused. it was really fast. little over two months. Lets see if i actually get my card in 30 days in the mail. perhaps since i did fingerprints so many times (for the rtd) they didn't want this time? anyway

don't take what i said word by word. it really depends on each case. this is just my experience.

Peace and goodluck.

Wow! Kasperba, that was really fast about the GC production. congrats in advance. AM waiting to my GC. Texas receipt date for my GC application was June 31st and July 31st they received my RFE and i did my FP3 on june 25th. i really hope to get mine soon. i want to start my countdown to citizenship soonest!

about validity, write "INDEF"

I have filed over 5 GC applications for myself and those who needed help so I am speaking from my expereince.

hey kasperba,

thanks for your post. i have one question for you. when was the last time u had ur biometrics taken (FP)? how long before you sent your I-485 package? ( for something else - I'm assuming RTD!)

thanks again.

:eek:)

hey kasperba,

thanks for your post. i have one question for you. when was the last time u had ur biometrics taken (FP)? how long before you sent your I-485 package? ( for something else - I'm assuming RTD!)

thanks again.

:eek:)

I did my last biometrics in Jan of this year for my RTD. Now they say it will take up to 60 days b4 i receive my card. does anybody no what ADIT processing is? this is what says in the notice.

"Your new permanent resident card should be mailed within 60 days following this registration or after you complete any ADIT processing referred to in the welcome notice, whichever is later."

Anyway, FYI, I found out that RTD holders can travel to Guatemala without visa. I left and entered the country with only RTD ( no passport no I94) at Fort Lauderdale Florida. When i entered ( i stood in the citizen and perm resident line) immigration agent was little confused that i had only RTD. So he referred me to the people in the back who quickly did search of my status and let me pass. And they stamped on my RTD that i have indef asylee status.
this was my first time leaving the country since i became asylee. so i was bit nervous. but it all went well.

Kasperba,

The same thing happened to me last month and I posted a thread about this. I received a notice saying my card was in production even before I had ever done the biometrics (but I had already done them in another I-485 application not related to asylum). I have already sent them the Medical and everything they requested. Now this online notice has disappeared! And they sent me an appointment date to get the Bio done. I am really confused. I know I entered my receipt number correctly and tried it multiple times so this is not the issue. My receipt date is 07/15/09 so I applied 13 days after you (also Texas Service Center).

I must be one of the "oldest" Asylees here cause I got granted asylum in 2004. Do you think USCIS tries to expedite these cases?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kasperba,

The same thing happened to me last month and I posted a thread about this. I received a notice saying my card was in production even before I had ever done the biometrics (but I had already done them in another I-485 application not related to asylum). I have already sent them the Medical and everything they requested. Now this online notice has disappeared! And they sent me an appointment date to get the Bio done. I am really confused. I know I entered my receipt number correctly and tried it multiple times so this is not the issue. My receipt date is 07/15/09 so I applied 13 days after you (also Texas Service Center).

I must be one of the "oldest" Asylees here cause I got granted asylum in 2004. Do you think USCIS tries to expedite these cases?

Hey, a update on my case. I actually received the coveted "green card" today in the mail. It was really fast. Receipt date was july 2nd and approval date was Aug 4th.

good luck with your case dave,

kasperba

I did my last biometrics in Jan of this year for my RTD. Now they say it will take up to 60 days b4 i receive my card. does anybody no what ADIT processing is? this is what says in the notice.

"Your new permanent resident card should be mailed within 60 days following this registration or after you complete any ADIT processing referred to in the welcome notice, whichever is later."

Anyway, FYI, I found out that RTD holders can travel to Guatemala without visa. I left and entered the country with only RTD ( no passport no I94) at Fort Lauderdale Florida. When i entered ( i stood in the citizen and perm resident line) immigration agent was little confused that i had only RTD. So he referred me to the people in the back who quickly did search of my status and let me pass. And they stamped on my RTD that i have indef asylee status.
this was my first time leaving the country since i became asylee. so i was bit nervous. but it all went well.

I first sent the applications and copes along with photos and check.

I did not do medical or biometric first .

I was told about the medical test later and did it and biometric mail will come aout after 2 weeks of your application sent date.

i have filed RTDs. RPs. family petitions and I-589s and I-485s.

The last time I helped someone file for GC was about 3 months ago.

"I am not a lawyer nor I have law license".
"I have just studied these cases myself and have been successful"

Last edited by a moderator:
Kasperba,

so you never actually did biometrics after you sent you I-485 application, and the last time u did biometrics was in january for your RTD?! when did you mail out your I-485 application?! what service center did you send the application to?!

thanks

Name check 180-day rule

Hey all,

I do not know, maybe you know or heared about it, but on digging the internet I found an article about the name check 180-day rule. I thought it could be helpful or handy for others who have pending I-485 case for a long time. Although I am not envolved in this question, because my asylum case is pending for almost 180 days and no initial answer has been made, but at least you are able to find it valuable and this article can help you....

I do not know and I cannot guarantee the content or actuality of this writing but you never know......

I hope I was able to help.... Good luck for everybody and the best for you...

Norb

........................................................................................................

Revised guidelines --- If the NC is not cleared within 180 days, USCIS office is allowed to adjudicate the cases.

Interoffice Memorandum
TO: Field Leadership
Associate Director, Domestic Operations
SUBJECT: Revised National Security Adjudication and Reporting Requirements
Background
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) conducts background checks on alt
applicants, petitioners, and beneficiaries seeking immigration benefits. This is done both to
enhance national security and to ensure the integrity of the immigration process. USCIS has
previously mandated that FBI name checks be completed and resolved before any positive
adjudication can proceed on certain form types. This memorandum modifies existing guidance
for applications where statutory immigration provisions allow for the detention and removal of
an alien who is the subject of actionable information that is received from the FBI or other law
enforcement agencies after approval of the application.
USCIS is issuing revised guidance in response to recommendations of the DHS Office of
Inspector General (OIG-06-06) regarding the need to align the agency's background and security
check policies with those of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). The
Background and Security Investigations in Proceedings Before Immigration Judges and the
Board ofImmigration Appeals regulations prevent immigration judges and the Board of
Immigration Appeals (BIA) from granting benefits to aliens before DHS confirms that all
background and security checks have been completed. See 8 C.F.R. § 1003.47(g); 8 C F R. §
1003.1(d)(6)(i). In the context ofremoval proceedings, ICE has determined that FBI fingerprint
checks and Interagency Border Inspection Services (IBIS) checks are the required security
checks for purposes of the applicable regulations. In the unlikely event that FBI name checks
reveal actionable information after the immigration judge grants an alien permanent resident
K?5 ??iLmay detain and initittt0 remoya proceedings against the permanent resident. See 8
U.S.C. § 1227; see also 8 U.S.C. § 1256 (allowing DHS to rescind an alien's adjustment of
status).
WWWUUClLgOV
AR CIS 0101
Case 2:07-cv-00445-MMB Document 27 Filed 02/06/2008 Page 7 of 11
Revised National Security Adjudication and Reporting Requirements
Page 2
Revised Guidance
A definitive FBI fingerprint check and the IBIS check must be obtained and resolved before an
Application for Adjustment of Status (1-485), Application for Waiver of Ground of
Inadmissibility (1-601), Application for Status as a Temporary Resident Under Section 245A of
the Immigration and Nationality Act (1-687), or Application to Adjust Status from Temporary to
Permanent Resident (Under Section 245A of Public Law 99-603) (1-698) is approved. USCIS
will continue to initiate FBI name checks when those applications are received. Where the
application is otherwise approvablc and the FBI name check request has been pending for more
than 180 days, the adjudicator shall approve the 1-485,1-601,1-687, or 1-698 and proceed with
card issuance. The FBI has committed to providing FBI name check results within this
timeframe.
There is no change in the requirement that FBI fingerprint check, IBIS check and FBI name
check results be obtained and resolved prior to the adjudication of an Application for
Naturalization (N-400).
Pending further guidance regarding post-audit reporting and tracking requirements and
modifications to associated quality assurance procedures, applications approved pursuant to this
memorandum shall be held at the adjudicating office. If derogatory or adverse information is
received from the FBI after the application is approved, USCIS will determine if rescission or
removal proceedings are appropriate and warranted.
Subject to the reporting requirements set forth in the February 16,2007, memorandum titled
"FBI Name Checks Policy and Process Clarification for Domestic Operations," an application or
petition may be denied, dismissed, administratively closed, withdrawn, or referred to the
Immigration Court at any time.
Questions regarding this memorandum should be directed through appropriate supervisory and
operational channels. Local offices should work through their chain of command.
Distribution List:
Regional Directors
Service Center Directors
District Directors (except foreign)
Field Officer Directors (except foreign)
National Benefits Center Director

........................................................................................................