Current TN status - multiple part time job offers, what to do?

angio

Registered Users (C)
Hi - I'm an assistant professor of engineering here in the US on a TN visa. I teach full-time at one University and under a second TN, teach one class at another University. A school in a different city is offering me a teaching job for a short 4 day seminar, sort of a peparation course for an entering class.
What options are out there? Non of these places will give me an H-1 in the near future. Can I get a third TN for this short appointment? Will that compromise everything, even the other TNs? Can I be paid if I don't get a visa specifically for them, as a one time, visiting professor honorary or something?

There is no limit on how many TNs you can have at once. So I would suggest you get the third TN so that you comply with the law, and since its for a part-time job, it shouldn't be an issue.

As far as an H1b is concerned, if you got an H1b for 1 of the jobs, then all three would have to give you an H1b as well, since you can't have a TN and an H1b in use with multiple companies at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the only option you have is to go with multiple TNs, don't forget each pay check with tax id goes with one TN.
So you can't get 2 pay checks from 2 employers for one TN.
Also I think none of these jobs will file H1B for you unless your job is extremely important as a part time and they are very well established companies.

Thanks

H1B to Tn

I currently have H1b from one company. I have completed my masters in computers from india 5 yrs before. I dont have much work experience. I got my canadian citizenship recently and would like to join another consultancy with my TN visa. I plan to go to border this weekend. since i dont have much experience will there be any problem in my TN. should i declare in the border that i have H1b issued on my indian passport.
If i get my TN, what will happen to H1b.
please do give some idea.
Thanks a lot

Last edited by a moderator:
should i declare in the border that i have H1b issued on my indian passport.
If i get my TN, what will happen to H1b.

If not asked, no need to declare anything specifically. Your H1b will be void as soon as you are granted a TN status.

So could he get another H-1 for that part-time position?

If you cannot have a TN for let's say, a part-time position when you are an H-1b holder already for a full-time position, can you get something like a part-time h-1 if the part-time employer is willing to give it to you?

angio said:
If you cannot have a TN for let's say, a part-time position when you are an H-1b holder already for a full-time position, can you get something like a part-time h-1 if the part-time employer is willing to give it to you?

yes you can have multiple H1-Bs for mulitple jobs at the same time. However H1-Bs are expensive..