Crossing US/Canada Border by Car Experience

DR2000

Registered Users (C)
My fiance has political asylum in US which was granted to her about 6 months ago. I'm a US citizen. That's just some information to start this off.

We decided to visit Canada. We got her RTD and applied for Canadian Visa through NY Consulate, which we promptly received.

On the way there we didn't even have to go through US border control and only had to go through the Canadian one. The officer looked at her document and asked us to go into the office and talk to the immigration officer. There they put a stamp in her passport showing the day we entered Canada. The whole thing took about 10 minutes.

On our way back, there was no Canadian inspection, but there was a US one. We handed the officer our documents (her RTD and my US passport). He looked them over, asked her a couple of questions. Where she was from, how she got to US. Handed us back the passports and that was it. Took about 30 seconds.

Thank you for your answers.

The reason I'm posting here is that I'm worried about the fact that he didn't put any kind of stamps into her passport, nothing. The I-94 question didn't come up at all. She has her original I-94 with Asylum Granted stamp.

Is everything OK? Or it's not bad that there is no stamp saying admitted to US in her RTD now? If that's bad, what should we do?

DR2000 said:
My fiance has political asylum in US which was granted to her about 6 months ago. I'm a US citizen. That's just some information to start this off.

We decided to visit Canada. We got her RTD and applied for Canadian Visa through NY Consulate, which we promptly received.

On the way there we didn't even have to go through US border control and only had to go through the Canadian one. The officer looked at her document and asked us to go into the office and talk to the immigration officer. There they put a stamp in her passport showing the day we entered Canada. The whole thing took about 10 minutes.

On our way back, there was no Canadian inspection, but there was a US one. We handed the officer our documents (her RTD and my US passport). He looked them over, asked her a couple of questions. Where she was from, how she got to US. Handed us back the passports and that was it. Took about 30 seconds.

The reason I'm posting here is that I'm worried about the fact that he didn't put any kind of stamps into her passport, nothing. The I-94 question didn't come up at all. She has her original I-94 with Asylum Granted stamp.

Is everything OK? Or it's not bad that there is no stamp saying admitted to US in her RTD now? If that's bad, what should we do?

The officer at port of entry was sloppy. He should have issued a new I-94 card with "admitted" on it. but anyway its not your GF's fault so she should be ok... no worries.

Looks like a common situation

Similar but not the same situation happened to us 1 year ago. We traveled to Canada to get new American H1B visas, and, on the way back, we got neither any stamps nor new I-94 cards. After that we got asylum and applied for green cards – so far we have had no problem.

DR2000 said:

I believe if you travel from USA to Canada by land, your I-94 is not taken/nor a new one issued. I know for a fact that a SINGLE entry B2 visa holder can go to Canada and come back multiple times without any questions and without surrendering the I-94 or getting a new one. I dont see why it should be any different for an asylee I-94.

Floyd