• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

credit history

votantul

Registered Users (C)
hi
is there important if the spouse of the DV applicant has a bad credit history in US (some credit card debt not paid long time ago)?
I know the credit history is wiped out after some time... the question is, how many years? thanks

It can stay for at least 7 to 10 years and if the credit card company files for an extension with the court it stays longer.

I think it doesn't have anything to do with your chance of a GC but you can't have her as your sponsor because she has to fill out form I-134 and has to declare all her funds and debts and if she lies she can be sued by the government. So you either have to proof you have enough funds to support your self or have a job (proof from the employer) or some one else sponsor you.

CC history doesn't matter for the DV. And forgert that the debt is wiped out.

He is stating he knows it will be wiped out in a certain amount of years....the only way to know is by checking your credit history, or in this case..his wifes!

Credit scores are personally and don't transfer, so no issue there...but she can't be your sponsor is she has debt or no money.

Credit scores are personally and don't transfer
Not exactly so. Score is personal, but it is possible to transfer history. If somebody with a good established credit history adds another person as an authorized user of his credit card, this other person will have a score jump very soon.

she can't be your sponsor is she has debt
Not true. Debt is irrelevant here. A sponsor must submit w2's with tax transcripts, and indicate his income. If net income after all payments is sufficient to be a sponsor, everything is ok.

Not exactly so. Score is personal, but it is possible to transfer history. If somebody with a good established credit history adds another person as an authorized user of his credit card, this other person will have a score jump very soon.

Not true. Debt is irrelevant here. A sponsor must submit w2's with tax transcripts, and indicate his income. If net income after all payments is sufficient to be a sponsor, everything is ok.

The first part is not true. If you add a person the other person's score will only be added to the person who applied for the card and only when you get one in your name/soc.sec. or tax id # it will apply for you....It would be great and many people would like what you suggest.

As I understand has the wife still a credit card debt and the husband hopes it will vanish by it self after a few years, which might or might not happen...she doesn't have the money to pay it of so I wonder how much she has...otherwise she would pay it and endorse him and that isn't what he is stating.

The first part is not true. If you add a person the other person's score will only be added to the person who applied for the card and only when you get one in your name/soc.sec. or tax id # it will apply for you....It would be great and many people would like what you suggest.
Try to google this question at least if you do not know how it works from the first hands. First, authorized user does not need to have a SSN. And that is the reason for any perspective green card holder to be added to some established credit card a few years in advance. Every transaction is monitored, so all one needs is make a few purchases and pay the card accurately. As soon as he gets a SSN, there is a way to inform the three agencies, and all the previous information (including the score) should be added to a new credit file. I was added to a card fourteen years before my SSN was issued, and believe me, my credit history includes all those years.

We have done the same thing here...Without a SSN added to a SSN and promissed to get a separate score...Until later all was added to the first persons score. Later it was changed to a separate # and both parties got their own score...maybe it difference from bank to bank...but this was with BoA. Btw it is pretty hard to even go back and forward with the credit companies...only by mail!

We have done the same thing here...Without a SSN added to a SSN and promissed to get a separate score...Until later all was added to the first persons score. Later it was changed to a separate # and both parties got their own score...maybe it difference from bank to bank...but this was with BoA. Btw it is pretty hard to even go back and forward with the credit companies...only by mail!

Don't confuse credit score with credit history. While they are related, they are not the same thing. When you add an authorized user, the transaction and payment history shows up under both SSN credit report as part of their credit history.

However, the primary holder would have longer credit history than the authorized user (the green card newcomer) and as such will have higher credit score (FICO score).

It takes a couple years to build up the score, and will take even longer (7 years or so) to get above average score. That is why financial advisor will tell you to keep a small balance on you first credit card, pay it off each month and keep it open so you have a longer, more attractive credit history, which then leads to higher credit score.

t takes a couple years to build up the score, and will take even longer (7 years or so) to get above average score.
It took me about a month to get a FICO score of 780 after I transfered my Amex to the US :D