Credentialing before signing the contract?

july1375

Registered Users (C)
I have been offered a job in FQHC in Texas in June but the CEO said they wanted to wait until I get my Texas license before giving me the employment agreement. Now I got my Texas license, they said they want to do the credentialing first before they give me the employment agreement. When I asked them how long it takes to credential they said it takes from 2 weeks to 1 1/2 years and they don't know how long it takes. So I just have to wait for the credentialing which may take upto 1 1/2 years without an employment agreement. Has anybody had experience like this? Are all FQHCs like this? I thought you normally sign the contract first, then get credentialed. I'm not sure if they're doing this just to me 'cause I'm a J1 doctor or they do this to everybody else. It just doesn't sound right to me since I don't think any other doctors would wait around a few month not knowing when they'r going to get credentialed without a contract. I'm not sure if this is a way of them telling me to look for another job or it's how it's supposed to be.
I appreciate any replies.
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
credentialing for what????

As long as you have valid medical license, DEA and DPS certificates you should not have any problem practicing medicine in Texas. I am doing j1 waiver in FQHC in south texas. I didn't have to go through all these. I was offered a contract on the day of interview and I don't recall them asking me to wait for credentials.

If you are enrolled in FCVS then it should help you. If you are not already enrolled its not a bad idea to do it now as it will help you a lot in future.

Something sounds very fishy about the approach of this FQHC.
I think you should start to look for another waiver job and actually just consider taking the new job in this situation. They can make the contract contingent on X or Y, but I have never heard of the employer delaying even giving you the contract. Be careful not to let your legal status lapse in this waiting game.
Though I have not actively been in the job market recently, I am hearing that waiver jobs are getting easier to find nowadays as the primary care physician job market tightens, so I would definitely think you should look for other options, if nothing else, it will light a fire under the CEO's ass to act if he is truly interested in your services. It also allows you to take a decision in a timely manner and from a position of strength..............well sort of, you would still be in J1 waiver!

I assume you already have your H1B. The employer is supposed to put you on the payroll in the first 90 days. You should not wait that long to start. Have your immigration lawyer talk to the CEO regarding H1B regulations.

How easy/difficult was it, obtaining a waiver via the texas conrad 30 program, do they give you feedback re: their recommendations to DOS, or how does the whole process go?

Sensitivity

Often times people post questions to address their concerns not even looking at the origin of the thread. Nothing wrong with wanting an answer to your question but surely it can be in a new thread.

In answer to your question however, Texas is pretty much the state with the largest demand and the lowest supply in the conrad 30 program. 30 slots for TX is inadequate given their need. It is also one of the states with the fastest growing population for reasons you can imagine. Their Conrad 30 program requirements are up to them. You can call/contact their office for the best info. However they have a well organised system and actually have an annual job fair/package info of available jobs for Conrad 30 program suitable suitable jobs available after that job fair.

Best of luck in your job search.

july1375,
This does not sound right. If you are in Primary care, there are hundreds of jobs out there. If you are looking for a Waiver job - we are actively looking for Primary Care at our CHCs in the third largest, and fastest growing region of AZ!
Send me a PM if you or anybody wants more info!

CEO=jerk
You--->run !

He will abuse you for 3 years straight. You have a TX license, look for a better employer. no contract-->no obligation for you to work there.

Thanks for everybody's input. This is a J1 waiver transfer situation. I'm currently working in another state and trying to trasfer out of my current job. I don't have a time limit as of now, but I'm just dying to get out of here. I think I should look for another job since the CEO is not willing to give me the contract right away. I always thought finding a position in CHC was hard and that's one of the reasons why I've been putting up with this CEO and had my hopes up. Guess I should start looking other places.
Thanks again for everybody's input.