CR-1 or K1

kaashi

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
Got the citizenship, getting the US Passport today. Really appreciate your help and absolutely trust your advice. The situation has changed just a little bit, actually more in my favor, and now it is about doing it right.

I had gone to India during the Feb break when I got engaged. I am going back to India again to meet the fiance on March 26-April 2. Someone said that if I wasn't going to meet the fiance for a long while, K1 would be the fastest/best way. Since I am going there in 2 weeks, and I do have a choice, I could get the marriage certificate and file the CR-1 after 2 weeks. So I don't lose much time in filing.

I guess three main issues:
1) bring her here asap.

2) the social, traditional, religious marriage. Apparently India recognizes both legal and social marriages. May be the bigger issue of the two is the marriage issue. One can probably wait a month or two longer for her to come here. We don't care about getting her LPR, and EAD at the POE.

3) can she still travel here on her B1/B2 while the CR-1 is under process? She plans of coming in mid May to visit her sister for two weeks for her college graduation, and meet me as well for two weeks in early June.

If we file the K1, we'd still plan on getting married the social way in September. No marriage certificate. Come here through JFK on k1.

On the CR-1, we can do the same thing, except everyone can be absolutely fearless, and not have to worry about what to tell the immigration officer at JFK if he starts digging deeper and giving the girl a hard time. She was denied an F-1 visa last year and the poor thing is worried what may happen when they start questioning.

I have thought enough about this. The other family is sick of this too. Given so much time and preparation and being a in a good position of choice, I would hate to ruin this. Any help guys? Thank you so much.

The lawyers play it so conservatively which is fine but it is enough to ruin the mood. Apparently it takes 9-12 months for the CR 1to get through, and 9 months for the K1. The websites and people's experiences say that 6-8 months for the K1 and may be a month or so longer for the CR-1.
akash

Okay, to answer your questions.

1) If you want her here 'asap' the quicker route (on average) is the K1.

2) Im not too sure what your question is here- Im guessing its whether having a 'non official' wedding will impact on a K1??? If so- some people have been successful this route...provided you dont declare this at the interview/show pictures of the wedding etc.....whereas some people have got burned....but thats because they used such photos in their evidence/presented them at the interview etc.

3) She can still 'attempt' to travel here on her tourist visa. Of course, whether or not she will be granted entry at POE is entirely up to the discretion of the particular officer.