CP mumbai

ddagsyn

Registered Users (C)
On my Packet 3 instructions under passports. It says if you married , your passport should be amended to reflect your marriage.

How is that done? Will the indian consulate do it in houston and if so how long does it take?

My wife does not have my last name?
thanks

Originally posted by ddagsyn
On my Packet 3 instructions under passports. It says if you married , your passport should be amended to reflect your marriage.

How is that done? Will the indian consulate do it in houston and if so how long does it take?

My wife does not have my last name?
thanks

It can be done at the nearest Indian Consulate. Go to the web site of that consulate and you will find all the information under
consular services/ Miscellaneous services. Issue of new passport would take about 1 week.

Raju

hi
thanks for your reply i checked the website under "Miscellanous services" is it 'Registration of marriage'. Also i don't want to change her last name or her passport. Can you please be more specific what 'Registration of marriage implies
thanks
http://www.cgihouston.org/miscell.html

Originally posted by ddagsyn
hi
thanks for your reply i checked the website under "Miscellanous services" is it 'Registration of marriage'. Also i don't want to change her last name or her passport. Can you please be more specific what 'Registration of marriage implies
thanks

Registration of marriage is different from having the spouse's name entered in the passport.

If you do not have a marriage certificate from your place in India,
then you have to research the forum to find out whether the
Marriage Registration from the consulate would work.

As I said above Marriage Registration and entry of spouse's name
are two entirely different things.

Raju

EB 3 AC 140 in Mumbai

To all the 'Guru's out there ......does Mumbai accept EB 3 AC 140 request....what happens if they reject.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

ddagsyn,
U can endorse ur spouse name in ur passport and/or endorse ur name in spouse passport. This will make the passport reflect ur marraige - u need not change ur spouse's last name.

Below is taken from the link.
Observation/Endorsements in the passport e.g, change of address, ECNR, name of spouse, etc. (Fee $10.00)

Re: EB 3 AC 140 in Mumbai

Originally posted by gc_ki_khoj_me
To all the 'Guru's out there ......does Mumbai accept EB 3 AC 140 request....what happens if they reject.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

We have read posts about several people doing the AC140 with
Mumbai Consulate.

I have not read about any rejections. However I would think if for any reason they do not accept your request, you just wait for your turn with the National Visa Center.

Raju

thanks Raju595 ...my only worry is if Mumbai rejects then it will take a long time for the I-824 to get approved since CSC is doing 4/8/2002 now.

Question:

About getting spouses names endorsed on passports.

My wife has an old passport with her maiden name and a new passport with her married name (my first name as her middle name and my last name as her last name). Given the scenario, I am guessing my name does not need to be endorsed on her passport. Am I right!

Do I need to get her name endorsed on my passport?

Folks,

Another question on wife's name in the passport:

My wife still has her maiden name in her passport. My name is specified separately in her passport identifying the spouse.

Any issues with that ?...or Would we have to have the name changed before our CP interview ?

Thanks,

RK

My I-140 was approved recently and I had opted for CP in Mumbai.

I had the following questions....

1. Is endorsement of spouse's name on passport sufficient OR do we also have to change her maiden name to married name?

2. For endorsement of spouse's name.. I could not find the appropriate form on the Indian Embassy, New York site.

link - http://www.indiacgny.org/miscpc.html

Under the "INSTRUCTIONS ON MISCELLANEOUS PASSPORT AND CONSULAR SERVICES" section point 6->e states the following...

"MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE: In case the spouse’s name is endorsed on the passport, to be applied for in the “Application form for Miscellaneous Services”, along with applicant’s and spouse’s passport in original and a fee of US $ 20. In case the spouse’s name is not endorsed on the passport, to apply for endorsement of the name of spouse first."

But I could not find the appropriate form.. any idea where that form might be?

3. In my wife's birth certificate, her last name has a "y" at the end. Her passport doesn't have it. Do you think this will be a problem at the time of interview? If yes... will the Indian Embassy in NY issue a birth certificate. If yes, how long would it take.

Thanks...

To astra, RK_0629 and Kdivekar,

Originally posted by astra
My I-140 was approved recently and I had opted for CP in Mumbai.

1. Is endorsement of spouse's name on passport sufficient OR do we also have to change her maiden name to married name?

{Others have also posed this question. There is no compulsion
for the wife to change her maiden name. She can continue
using here maiden name, but in the last page of her passport
she should have her husband's name, and likewise the husband's passport will have the wife's name noted. }

2. For endorsement of spouse's name.. I could not find the appropriate form on the Indian Embassy, New York site.

link - http://www.indiacgny.org/miscpc.html

Under the "INSTRUCTIONS ON MISCELLANEOUS PASSPORT AND CONSULAR SERVICES" section point 6->e states the following...

"MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE: In case the spouse’s name is endorsed on the passport, to be applied for in the “Application form for Miscellaneous Services”, along with applicant’s and spouse’s passport in original and a fee of US $ 20. In case the spouse’s name is not endorsed on the passport, to apply for endorsement of the name of spouse first."

But I could not find the appropriate form.. any idea where that form might be?

{I looked through the web site, and there is only a vague reference to this kind of service. The above para refers to this service. Just specify 'Endorsement of spouse's name' under the
line 'other service' at the top of the form.

Since they have not listed what kind of proof is required for
this service, you may need to call them and find out. Also the
fee payable. At the minimum they may want:

* Marriage Registration certificate from India
* Both of your passports
* Few photographs

Call them and find out }

3. In my wife's birth certificate, her last name has a "y" at the end. Her passport doesn't have it. Do you think this will be a problem at the time of interview? If yes... will the Indian Embassy in NY issue a birth certificate. If yes, how long would it take.

{Depends on which name is the correct one. If the one in the
passport is correct, you can explain the birth certificate as a
small error and there is no problem.

However if the name as mentioned in the birth certificate is
the correct one, then this would be termed as name change and there is a long process for this which included notifications in
news papers both in India and here in US. Look for instructions
in the Consulate website. }

Thanks...

{my responses}

Raju

Last edited by a moderator:
astra:

if you need to get the name in the passport changed let me know and i can explain what needs to be done since I am undergoing that process since my first name was showing up as last name in my passport and my dad's name with surname as given names.

kdivekar :

Thanks for the help ... the name on my wife's passport is the correct one, the one on birth certificate is not.

Raju595:

Thanks for the info....

{ Depends on which name is the correct one. If the one in the
small error and there is no problem. }

I would be more comfortable having the correct name on the birth certificate. I am thinking of 2 other options regarding my wife's birth certificate....

Option 1: Show a non-availability affidavit with supporting signatures.
Option 2: Get the birth certificate from the Indian embassy.. I read this on one of the forum postings.

What are your thoughts on these options?

Also, regarding endorsement of spouse's name....The visa stamp on my passport has expired, but I have a valid H-1 petition. Would that be a problem for getting endorsements AND during the CP interview in Mumbai?

Option 2: Get the birth certificate from the Indian embassy.. I read this on one of the forum postings.
ANSWER: NAC is issued only if birth cert is not available. And birth cert from Indian embassy is not accepted for GC purposes. 2 notarized Afffidavits of birth from each of your parents, family or relatives stating exact first, middle and last name at birth should be sufficient.

Also, regarding endorsement of spouse's name....The visa stamp on my passport has expired, but I have a valid H-1 petition. Would that be a problem for getting endorsements AND during the CP interview in Mumbai?
Answer: I am in the same situation and I have got my wife's name endorsed on my passport. Did not get my name endorsed on her passport since CGNY mentioned as she already has new passport with my name as middle name...endorsing was not required. As far as travelling for CP with H-1B approval should not be a problem. Just make sure that you apply for a transit visa if you are flying thru french/ german/ swiss airports as it is a requirement.

kdivekar :

Thanks for the help ... the name on my wife's passport is the correct one, the one on birth certificate is not.

Raju595:

Thanks for the info....

{ Depends on which name is the correct one. If the one in the
small error and there is no problem. }

I would be more comfortable having the correct name on the birth certificate. I am thinking of 2 other options regarding my wife's birth certificate....

As the post above suggested, technically you cannot get a NAC
because they have the record with them.

As I said earlier an error involving just one letter can be explained
as such, with the supporting documents like school leaving certificate etc.

However for peace of mind you might as well take the affidavits from parents showing the correct name.

(OR) if there is time , since this looks like an error by the issueing authority, get a new certificate with the name spelt correctly.

Raju

My attorney recommends going for AOS instead of CP. One of the reasons he has cited is; he has seen numerous cases where CP interview calls have taken in excess of 9 months.
My attorney also mentioned that the anti-immigrant climate may not make CP a very safe option.

1. On what grounds can CP be rejected?

2. Does anyone know about such long wait (in excess of 9 months) for CP?

3. What is the current processing time at Mumbai consulate? i.e how long does it take to get the interview call once ur 140 is approved?

4. I will be completing my 6yrs on H1 in March 2004. so I will have to file for 7th yr extension. With this situation, do you think I should go for AOS or CP?

Re: RE: CP Mumbai

My attorney recommends going for AOS instead of CP. One of the reasons he has cited is; he has seen numerous cases where CP interview calls have taken in excess of 9 months.
My attorney also mentioned that the anti-immigrant climate may not make CP a very safe option.

{One reason the attorney's recommend AOS is because they feel
they will have control here in US if something happens. Another
reason could be they are not familiar with the process and have
doubts about it.

Sometimes the employer does not like the cp route for various
reasons.

I went through the same experience and went for CP against
recommendation of my attorney. But this is one area where
the decision should be based on the merits of the case.So
do your research before you take any decision.

But generally if there are no issues like illegal stay and so on
CP is still a better option simply by virtue of it's quickness }

1. On what grounds can CP be rejected?

{The publicised reasons are fraud, mis-representation, serious
diseases}

2. Does anyone know about such long wait (in excess of 9 months) for CP?

{There can definitely be isolated cases where the process
has taken more than 9 months.

However the general time it takes from the date of I-140
approval (if cp was the original choice) is between 6 and 7
months. }

3. What is the current processing time at Mumbai consulate? i.e how long does it take to get the interview call once ur 140 is approved?

{We have seen cases as short as 5 months. As I said earlier
there will always be cases which take long periods for
reasons of their own. But general ball park figure is 7 months}

4. I will be completing my 6yrs on H1 in March 2004. so I will have to file for 7th yr extension. With this situation, do you think I should go for AOS or CP?

{I don't see why you can't go for CP. Also look at the stability
factor of your job till completion of the cp process}

{my responses}

Raju

I just read the article at this link

http://www.murthy.com/choose.html

Point g. states the following ...
"There are a variety of problems, major or minor, that can surface irrespective of one's choice of process. If one opts for consular processing and problems occur while s/he is abroad during the interview with the consular officer, the applicant would be obliged to remain outside the U.S., possibly for an extended period of time, while those problems are sorted out. In cases where the person has completed the 6-year stay in the U.S. on the H1B Petition, this could lead to the applicant's not being able to work for several months."

My 6 yrs of H1 will expire in March 2004. My I140 got approved last week. If I file for CP now, considering a 6 month timeframe, my interview will probably be around Jan 2004. But if it goes beyond that, will that be a problem (since my H1 is expiring)

Can I file a 7th yr extension and travel if the interview call takes too long?

Hi,
I HAVE A MAJOR CONCERN! i WAS READING SOME STUFF ABOUT CP IN IMMIHELP.COM. They mentioned that the officer will cancel your non-immigrant visa (which is H1 in my case). after they approve your green card. Now my dileema is:
I work for Company A & have applied GC thru Company B. I have recently got my I-140 approved and was thinking of going for AC cosular processing(COMPANY B'S i-140).
My question is:
If I go for my interview and they cancel my H1 (which is Company A's H1) ,will I be able to legally work for company A after I get back to US? I mean just for few days as I have to resign from the company(A) and have to finsih few formalities which may take 2-3 weeks.
Also,can the consular general raise any questions regrding the above situation or its safe to stay with company A and join company B only after getting my GC (Compeling my interview in Mumai consulate) since GC's are anyway for future emplyment?
Please let me knwo your views on this.
Thanks