CP Issue at Mumbai Consulate - Name Check Clearance Pending

verabar

Registered Users (C)
Hi ,

I appeared for the CP interview today at the Mumbai Consulate. After taking the Oath and some initial basic questions, the Officer told me that they need to complete one formality and gave me my passports back. She said that the Name Check Clearance is pending and we will let you know once that is complete. As per her this should take about 2 weeks. I need some help here. Has anyone experienced the same situation ? The officer gave me the Form saying that under section 221 (g) , which prohibits issuing a visa to anyone who is not documentarily qualified under Immi. & Nat. Act (INA). In the remark they have written Name Check Clearance Pending. As per the Consulate this should take about 2 weeks to complete and i can check with them after 2 weeks. They will also notify me via Mail at my local address in India. Does it really take 2 weeks ? Please help. I am not sure what i can do from my side. Also what are the options i have ?

Please advise

I can't find the exact URL of the thread, but I remember reading a similar case on this forum (Mumbai CP) and it took three weeks in his case. In worst case, be prepared for three to four weeks and you should be fine. Don't wait for their letter to arrive your local address in India, call them after two/three weeks.

Best wishes,

Jigesh

I concur with jigesh. There was a case as recent as 1 month ago where there was a name check (for asharma) and was resolved within 3 weeks and back in september cannon576 had a similar issue @chennai which was resolved in 4-5 weeks. As suggested by jigesh after 3 weeks just call them to get a status on your name check clearance...dont wait for them to get to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by jigesh
I can't find the exact URL of the thread, but I remember reading a similar case on this forum (Mumbai CP) and it took three weeks in his case. In worst case, be prepared for three to four weeks and you should be fine. Don't wait for their letter to arrive your local address in India, call them after two/three weeks.

Best wishes,

Jigesh

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107938

Here is what Jigesh is talking about.

wow that really scares me!
I am wonderign that in the past few months I saw lot of "
name checks" happening. What can eb the reason for it?
Also,as per verabar's message,what exactly is "prohibits issuing a visa to anyone who is not documentarily qualified under Immi. & Nat. Act (INA)"?

Can we do soemthing about it even before going for our interviews to prevent that? What names do they check usually(a common name, a muslim religion name or what?) ?

At one point of time (afetr reading cannon's experience), I suggested that we take PCC from FBI . But some folks mentioned that in packet4 it is exclusively mentioned that u r not suppose to get PCC from USA . So what options do we have in this scenario?

vermontcp:

There is nothing much one can do other that pray that it does not happen to them or to others.

There is one thing that some folks do prior to cp interview. You will get all the information in this article:
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106746&highlight=fbi+check

Even after getting what is called FBI Check Clearance...the consulate will still run the same. So it is individuals choice if they want to do the FBI check while in usa and carry the results to india as an additional document. But the above article is worth reading and being aware off.

kd1403,
Thanks fort eh info. 2 months back I talked exactly about the same thing as mentioned the link mentioned by you but some member of the forum warned me for that. Anyway,I am leaving for India in 12 days from now so I don't think I have enough time for it.
Also, I am a woman so I am hoping that the chances should be slim for the name check and all I can do is to pray for the best!
Quick question about I-134(affidavit of support) . My husband is on H1B visa . Do I still need to carry a I-134 for him?

vermontcp:

First and foremost dont worry about FBI/ Name/ Administrative check. It is extremely rare. Again even if it happens it is normally resolved within 3 weeks from the date of your interview. It is not worth the stress! You are at the best end of your GC process..enjoy while you can!

As far as I-134 is concerned..i am assuming you are the primary candidate for this GC process and your husband is the derivative. If this is the case although he is on h-1b visa and working/ earning, you will still need to execute an I-134 in his name and get it notarized from a notary public in USA.

kd1403,
You had replied to many of my questins. Thanks ......

One more..... My H1b expries in March 2004, but my EAD is approved. Can I be on bench without pay on EAD. I know one can't on H1B.

Do you know what forms/process is required to change job after 140 approval and 180 days of 485. Who files the forms , new company for old company.

Originally posted by verabar
[/B]

Hey verabar,

Are you a AC140 candidate or have gone thourgh NVC?

Is the name check ususally for AC140 or candidates going though NVC also? I assumed NVC would do the checks before forwarding it to the consulate!!!

alren:

Name Check/ Administrative check has nothing to do with Regular CP or AC I-140 case. These are done @random!

Do we know for sure?

That's why I asked the fella who's in the name check situation if s/he is in AC140 or regular CP!

alren:

Initially i too was under the impression that name check happened only with AC I-140 cases but in the last 1 year we have a very few cases which were regular CP and were entangled in the admin check phase of CP interview. (example: cannon576 from chennai in late sept 2003)...

Would really appreciate a response from the folks who have had name check and let us know whether they had done regular CP through NVC or AC I-140 route!!!

alren as you mentioned this information is good to know!

Originally posted by kd1403
(example: cannon576 from chennai in late sept 2003)...

kd -

I think that pretty much answers it.

BTW, do you check your PM or email?

alren:

I check both pm and email....my email is not listed.

Prefer PM!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Name check / Administrative Processing?

Guys,
same thing happened to me on 10th march in delhi embassy. My case is AC-140 based CP.

Officer took oath, asked expected questions.. and then gave my 221 (g) rejection letter + passports. In that letter it is written " Case is under Administrative Processing, Contact after 20 days". That was for my wife (derivative applicant). When i asked for reason, he told they need some name check for my wife. I guess, it is same name check we r talking abt in this thread.

Any more info? anybody has for delhi based CP.

ashish

ashish:

yes you are right this is the administrstive check that many of us have started noticing off late. It normaly takes about 3-4 weeks to get resolved. Hang in there!

Hello Guys,
Sorry for the late reply, but mine was a regular CP case and not the AC one. The name chaeck process got completed in 2 weeks and i got my immigrant visa.

Thanks everyone for the help, especially KD.. This forum really helped me a lot in getting answers for some of the questions.

Any one has any questions.. please let me know

verabar:

Congratulations in getting done with the name check in 2 weeks. Hope you are enjoying your GC freedom!