CP in Taipei, Taiwan

AOS to CP

I guess my case is a bit complicated... but I'll see if I am lucky to get some answer from this board.

I am in the employee-based I-485 EB-2 AOS process at CSC. I got my I-140 approval early last year and filed my I-485 at the end of July 2002.

Now, it looks like employee-based I-485 is not going anywhere. I am just wondering if I have a chance to switch to CP process at this point. Since INS doesn't exist anymore, are there any changes for the CP?

My H1-B is expiring in July 2003 and my advance Parole will be expiring in August 2003. According to the attorney, AP will take 3-4 months to renew and 9 months for H1-B extension. And we can not file the renews earlier than 4 months before the expiration date. What a process...

My company's attorney keep telling me bad stories about CPs. And told me that it would take over a year to get I-824 aproved. Now my question is whether AIT requires I-824 Approval in order to process the green card. Or, does it accept AC-140 (Attorney Certified I-140) and a receipt of filing of I-824 is enough?

I've sent an email to AIT (visaiv@mail.ait.org.tw) about a month ago asking the same question but never heard back from it. Are people still doing the CP in Taiwan nowadays?

Thanks for any advices.

:(

Re: AOS to CP

Originally posted by moshimumu
I guess my case is a bit complicated... but I'll see if I am lucky to get some answer from this board.

I am in the employee-based I-485 EB-2 AOS process at CSC. I got my I-140 approval early last year and filed my I-485 at the end of July 2002.

Since your I-140 was approved in 2002, you should have an EAD card. EAD card gets renewed for a year every year till you get the LPR(Legal Permanent Resident) status (also known as GC). You don't need H1 anymore to work in USA

Now, it looks like employee-based I-485 is not going anywhere. I am just wondering if I have a chance to switch to CP process at this point.
Yes, you can switch to CP at this time. But I would suggest you to seriously think about the pros and cons of doing it. Normal CP process takes about 6 to 9 months. I-824 approval might take another 6 months atleast. You might get your LPR status through AOS process in next 15 months.

If US consulate in your country accepts AC-140 with just the receipt of I-824, then the processing time for CP will be reduced significantly.

Since INS doesn't exist anymore, are there any changes for the CP?
There has been minor changes to CP process. Not a major oevrhaul of the old processes.

My H1-B is expiring in July 2003 and my advance Parole will be expiring in August 2003. According to the attorney, AP will take 3-4 months to renew and 9 months for H1-B extension. And we can not file the renews earlier than 4 months before the expiration date. What a process...
Since you have filed for I-485 and already have an EAD, you don't require to file for H1 extensions any more.

My company's attorney keep telling me bad stories about CPs.
Looks like he is not interested in doing extra work just for you. Also s/he may not be very familiar with the CP route, hence is just trying to present the negative aspects of CP.

And told me that it would take over a year to get I-824 aproved. Partially true. Depends on how the INS is processing the I-824 cases.

Now my question is whether AIT requires I-824 Approval in order to process the green card. Or, does it accept AC-140 (Attorney Certified I-140) and a receipt of filing of I-824 is enough?
Look at immihelp.com for info if the US consulate in your country accepts AC-140 and also does it need just a receipt of I-824 or it really needs I-824 approval. If sending e-mails, doesn't work, call the US consulate in your country by phone.

I've sent an email to AIT (visaiv@mail.ait.org.tw) about a month ago asking the same question but never heard back from it.
Try sending another e-mail. Be brief, clear and simple in your query to the consulate. Don't send 2 long paragraphs in your e-mail. If that doesn't work, trying calling them. Third option, is to send somebody you know to the US consulate to ask the questions.

Are people still doing the CP in Taiwan nowadays?
I am not sure about this.

Thanks for any advices.

:(

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as you can keep your status valid, I don't suggest you to change AOS to CP. I know Taiwan can accept AC140. However, I didn't hear anyone did that. Actually, I asked my lawyer before and she just didn't want to do it and told me the process is not as easy as I think. I don't know why:( I think you should write an email to AIT again. Usually they reply emails promptly. I don't know why they didn't reply to you. So...try it again or try to call them. Good Luck!

April visa bulletin

Just wonder if anyone noticed why 2003 April visa bulletin has not been posted.

Re: marriage certificate to provide at AIT

Hi, all,

My lawyer told me that you can provide marriage certificate and send letter to inform AIT about your spouse information while your case sent back to consular (AIT). Then your spouse can have interview in AIT at the same time with you. But AIT may delay interview date for at most 1 more month.

Does anyone with same situation?

Ruth chen,

I am so sorry to hear your unlucky case. Hopely everything goes smoothly at later process. My ID at Cp Tracker is mlin144. My I-140 date is Feb 25, luckily that NVC received my case on Mar 04. Right now i am waiting for NVC to send out immigration visa fee. You can read by CP tracker about my process. Please keep me updated when your case sent back to AIT. By which way to know interview date from AIT???

mlin144

AIT not accept AC-140

I was approved 140 on March last year, but TSC approved for AOS while I applied as a CP. I mailed all documents with AC-140 to AIT was denied. The reason was AIT not accepting AC-140 since last April when NVC changed RULES. AIT only accepet AC-140 case by case, but only on " HUMANITARISN REASON". I also informed TSC for mistakes, they changed back for CP one month late. My interview was on NOV. 13.

More interesting when I was interview, The lady showed me the AIT computer already Accepted AC-140, but denied by her supersior later on. The whole AC-140 documents was return at interview. The review documents lady said, I was very unlucky, waste 3-4 months process by NVC.

Can not get Birth Certificate.

Any of you having problem getting your Birth Certificate? I was born in a private midwife place so there is no birth certificate. I am wondering if any other forms of birth proof are accepted by AIT. Any comments are welcome. Thanks.

To RuthChen:

I think we need the original "household registration" and a notarized translation of it for interview, right? Thanks for your response.

Wrong info

Hi, Bystander6,

Sorry, the information I gave you is wrong. I just got my PK4 yesterday and I find that "Hu ji tern bern" and "Birth Certificate" are two separate required items. I ask someone who did interview in AIT before and he told me I should get both. He said we can get the BC from the original registered Ho-Ji place. I will have a interview in June so I will try to get my BC these days. I can post the result maybe in the late June.
By the way, "all documents not in Chinese or in English must be accompanied by certified translations into English" is stated in my PK4. So I think you don't need to translate that.
Sorry again for the wrong information.

Ruth

"He said we can get the BC from the original registered Ho-Ji place."

That's my question. What are the acceptable documents for AIT if BC is not obtainable?

For those who was born in hospital, there will have no problem getting BC from the original registered Ho-Ji place. However, for those who was born in private midwife place, there will have no BC even from the original registered Ho-Ji place. Am I right? Please comment. Thanks.

To Bystander6,
I suggest you to ask your original registered Ho-Ji place to see if they have something equal to BC first. Then you can email to AIT to see if that document can be accepted by them.

To joojle.
My interview date is in June 11.

Thanks, Ruth

Ruth,
I appreciate your info and my interview date is June 26.
Could I have your email address and keep in touch ?

RE: how is your status now?

Bystander6,

My case is complete at NVC on July 10 2003. I expect it can be transfered to AIT on July 17 2003. Then hopefully i can get Sep interview. How is your status now?

Thanks!

mlin144