CP in Chennai how long for Parents ?

jenimmi

Registered Users (C)
CP in Chennai how long for Parents?

Hi all -

I am a USC filing I-130 to Vermont Service Center for my Parent in Chennai. Does anyone know how long it takes from application to Immigration stamp for Immediate relative cases in Chennai?

If not, at least the processing time after the case goes to National Visa center thro Immigration stamp in Chennai Consulate? If any one did CP for parents recently, can you please let me know what are the steps and most importantly the TIMELINE?
Appreciate any help.

I'm going to update my parent's case status here for the benefit of others interested in CP timeline for Parents in Chennai.

Mailed I-130 to VSC: Feb 9 '06
Receipt Dt: Feb 13 '06
Notice Dt: Feb 15 '06
Check for $190 cashed on: Feb 21
I-130 approved @ VSC - May 23 '06

**Case transferred to NVC**

NVC case # generated - Jun 7 '06
DS-3032 & Aff of Support Fee bill sent by NVC - Jun 19 '06
DS-3032 & Fee bill ($70) received by me - Jun 28 '06

AS Fee bill sent back to NVC @ MO - Jun 29 '06
AS Fee Bill received by NVC @ MO (as per mail tracking) - July 3 '06

DS-3032 sent back to NVC @ NH - July 7 '06
DS-3032 received by NVC @ NH - July 10 '06

Aff of Support form (I-864) sent by NVC - July 10 '06
I-864 received by me - July 20 '06
I-864 sent back to NVC @ NH - July 21 '06
I-864 received by NVC @ NH - July 24 '06

Immigrant Visa Fee Bill ($380) generated on - July 17 '06
IV Fee bill received by me - July 24 '06
IV Fee bill sent back to NVC @ MO - July 25 '06
IV Fee Bill received by NVC @ MO - July 28 '06

DS-230 Part I sent by NVC - Aug 7 '06
DS-230 received by me - Aug 10 '06
DS-230 sent back to NVC @ NH - Aug 11 '06
DS-230 received by NVC @ NH - Aug 15 '06

Case Completed - Sep 8 '06
Case transferred to the Consulate in Chennai - Sep 13 '06

Interview packet received - Oct 5 '06

Interview - Nov 21 '06 -- APPROVED

Received PP - Nov 25 '06

Received SSN within 2 weeks of arrival into US.
Received GC within 4 weeks of arrival into US.

Last edited by a moderator:
CP in Chennai how long for Parents ? Here are my timeline

Send I 130 on 12-Aug
notice date 18th August
Case Approved 3rd November
NOA recived 9th November

Ds3032 was sent Novermber 21st
DS3032 deliever/Recived in NH December 15th

AOS Fee Bill Recived Novermber 25th
AOS Fee Bill Sent Novermber 25th
AOS Fee Bill Recived By NVC Novermber 30th
AOS Fee Bill Novermber 21st

AOS Paper recived December 14th
AOS Paper Sent December 15th
AOS Paper Delivered at NVC December 19th

IV Bill Generated December 19th
IV Bill Recived December 27th
Iv Bill Sent December 28th
IV Bill Received at NVC Jan 3rd

Ds 230 part 1 sent Jan 10th
Ds 230 part 1 Recived Jan 14th
DS 230part 1 Sent to NVC Jan 24th

Case completed Jan 31st

Case forwarded to Chennai February 8th

jaisejames75,

Thanks for posting your timeline. It seems your application took only 3 months at NVC. That is very good. I just applied for my parents' I-130 to Vermont Service center for eventual CP. May I ask a few questions:

1. What was your service center for I-130?

2. Did DS-3032 go to both you and your parents?

3. Your turnaround time for DS-230 is very quick. Were your parents in USA to sign the form?

4. In your post AOS stands for (Affidavit of support, I-864) and not to be confused with Adjustment of Status. Just wanted to make sure.

Hope your interview gets scheduled in Chennai soon.

Thanks.

JaiseJames -

Thanks very much for taking the time to post the timeline in detail. I very much appreciate the info. So, it has taken 6 months already from application to case transfer to Consulate.

Please let us know when your parents interview is scheduled at Chennai. I hope you can also post here if a Packet was sent to your parents from the Chennai Consulate and what are the next steps to be completed, before their interview.

Was there any mention of Finger Printing for Parents before or during interview? In my understanding, Finger Printing is an important part of the Immigration process, but I'm not sure if this is done at all with Consular Processing.

I have similar questions that VisaApplicant has asked. Hope to see your answers and also hoping that you would continue posting their timeline from interview to visa approval.

Thanks again.

Answers to your question

Here are answers to your questions

1. What was your service center for I-130?

A) VSC
A) Yes and it took a month for it to reach my parents. However after a week, you can send your copy to your parent using a faster mailing service( fedex or even priority mail from USPS). This will expedite every thing. Dont wait for your parents to recive DS3032
3. Your turnaround time for DS-230 is very quick. Were your parents in USA to sign the form?
I was their agent so paper came to me. I Asked my parent to download DS-230, fill it and attach all the required document and send it to me using a faster courier.. This is why this is fast

4. In your post AOS stands for (Affidavit of support, I-864) and not to be confused with Adjustment of Status. Just wanted to make sure.

AOS is Affidavit of support

Please let us know when your parents interview is scheduled at Chennai. I hope you can also post here if a Packet was sent to your parents from the Chennai Consulate and what are the next steps to be completed, before their interview.

A) We have not recived the packet yet. But I am hopeful we will have interview in April

Was there any mention of Finger Printing for Parents before or during interview? In my understanding, Finger Printing is an important part of the Immigration process, but I'm not sure if this is done at all with Consular Processing.

A) In case of Immigrant visa, If I am not mistaken, they will be finger printed at the POE, where their passportis stamped with temporary Green Card

I have similar questions that VisaApplicant has asked. Hope to see your answers and also hoping that you would continue posting their timeline from interview to visa approval.

Jaise

jaisejames75 said:

A) Yes and it took a month for it to reach my parents. However after a week, you can send your copy to your parent using a faster mailing service( fedex or even priority mail from USPS). This will expedite every thing. Dont wait for your parents to recive DS3032
I was their agent so paper came to me. I Asked my parent to download DS-230, fill it and attach all the required document and send it to me using a faster courier.. This is why this is fast

Jaise

Jaise,

Thanks for replying and all the info. From your answers, it seems we do not have to use the exact physical form DS 3032 (that will be sent to parents) and exact physical from DS 230 (that will be sent to agent). We can use either of DS 3032 form (sent to petitioner or beneficiary) and even a downloaded DS 230 form.

So there are no case specific barcode on DS 230 form? Or it seems bar code does not matter and NVC can track it to the application folder based on the number entered on the form we fill out?

When we are at that stage, I will also follow your suggestions to expedite the process.

Please keep us posted with the next steps. Thanks.

Answer

DS 3032 contain barcode ( i am not sure on the form itself or on seprate sheet), which both you and your parents recieves. SO when you send your form to them send that barcode form along with it. Make sure you take a copy and retain it with yourself.

DS230 does not have a barcode on the form itself. It have a seprate sheet of paper with barcode. In my case, my parent sent me their filled form and neccessary supporting documents and I attached the barcode form and sent it to NVC.

I hope this helps

jaisejames75 said:

A) We have not recived the packet yet. But I am hopeful we will have interview in April

A) In case of Immigrant visa, If I am not mistaken, they will be finger printed at the POE, where their passportis stamped with temporary Green Card

Jaise

Thanks, Jaise for sharing more details.

Have your parents received the packet yet? When they do receive the packet, can you please post what was in it - such as what requirements need to be met with, Medical Clearance, Police clearance etc.,

Have your Parents already obtained the Police clearance or are they waiting to get info on that from the Packet?

Please continue to post any changes to your timeline.
Once again, I appreciate the info you have provided so far.

Got package 4 and interview date

Hi My paents recived their packet on 17th Feb. It contains DS 230 part 1 and 2 , and other documentation requirements for medical , PCC etc

Initially, I think Chenai consulate made a mistake in interview date as My dad's date was 10th and Mom's was 21st. I was able to communicate with them over emails and they were very helpful and changed both the dates to April 10th ( I guess it worked out in my favour).

I actually had told my parents to arrange all the paper works in advance. They already have the PCC from passport office . They are making arrangements for PCC for local police office.

I am planning to send to chennai thursday before the interview so that they can get the medical and every thing else done in time.

Counting down the days for the interview...

I have questions for you all who are applying for their parents. What are you doing about their medical insurance. Would like to see what are people doing about it.

Jaise James

jaisejames said:
Hi My paents recived their packet on 17th Feb. It contains DS 230 part 1 and 2 , and other documentation requirements for medical , PCC etc

Initially, I think Chenai consulate made a mistake in interview date as My dad's date was 10th and Mom's was 21st. I was able to communicate with them over emails and they were very helpful and changed both the dates to April 10th ( I guess it worked out in my favour).

I actually had told my parents to arrange all the paper works in advance. They already have the PCC from passport office . They are making arrangements for PCC for local police office.

I am planning to send to chennai thursday before the interview so that they can get the medical and every thing else done in time.

Counting down the days for the interview...

I have questions for you all who are applying for their parents. What are you doing about their medical insurance. Would like to see what are people doing about it.

Jaise James

Hi Jaise -

Thanks very much for the update. In your case, from app to interview, it has taken around 8 months. Only we wish, the process could've been sooner ;)

So, they sent your parents the DS 230 Part I again, even though you completed and sent it back to NVC, end of Jan. Are your parents planning to fill DS 230 Part I again, or are they just going to take DS 230 PArt II only? I believe it says on DS-230 Part II that it needs to be signed ONLY in front of the Immigration officer.

It is comforting to know that Chennai consulate is contactable by email and are accommodative to requests. Can you please provide their email address that you sent your requests to?

PCC - does this mean Police Clearance Certificate? I thought this was needed only from the local Police station? But you said that your parents also got it from the Passport office in chennai? Is this a requirement to get it from the PP office also? Can you please explain?

I'm sorry but I didn't understand what you sent to your parents on thursday - below.

jaisejames said:

And the question about medical insurance is the million $$ question that we sponsors are facing. I see that people have asked this even on the other board in this forum. Hope it helps.
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=204339

Jaise - thanks for the update once again and please post any issues your parents face with the Police clearance, and which Doctor they went for thier Medical in Chennai and the charges, and the interview experience.

PCC and DS230

Hi There,

Yes you are right, We are basically filling the DS230 part 1 twice. Part II needs to be filled and signed in front of the counslor officer.

PCC requirement are as below
1) If your passport was issued less then 6 month ago then you need PCC only from district police officer
2) If it was issued was issue more than 6 month ago, then you need it from Passport office and fro local district police office

There are other requirement if your parent lived in other part of the world

What I meant was that My parent's interview in on 10th ( monday ) I will send them to chennai on 6th Thrusady so that they can be done with their medical. I think, in terms of doctor, we are planning to Dr mathai as he is open late in the evening.

Yes Chennai consulate has been great so far, they have been very accomodative and responsive. Email id is ChennaiIV@state.gov

Well the fact that its getting done in 8 month is attributed to the fact that I was on top of every thing and made sure my parent use faster courier services to send documents. Which really helped

Police Certificates

Jaise James,

Thanks for sharing more information. Mumbai Consulate's requirement for PCC is similar to Chennai Consulate that you have outlined with one exception

jaisejames said:
Hi There,

Yes you are right, We are basically filling the DS230 part 1 twice. Part II needs to be filled and signed in front of the counslor officer.

PCC requirement are as below
1) If your passport was issued less then 6 month ago then you need PCC only from district police officer
2) If it was issued was issue more than 6 month ago, then you need it from Passport office and fro local district police office

There are other requirement if your parent lived in other part of the world

For item 1) Mumbai consulate's instuction reads:
1) If your passport was issued less then 6 month ago then you need PCC only from Passport Office
(link http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/ivpolicecertificates.html)

I have another question. Could you please clarify it:
Do we need PCC from each locality lived in the country for more than 6 months?

I ask this because National Visa Center website asks for it (Link - http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1308.html). But I believe I have read in this forum, in India we only need PCC from Passport office and current locality (if passport was issued more than 6 month ago). I guess the PCC from passport office takes care of previous localities.

But then a questions arises, what if you have lived in 2 or more localities after the passport was issued? Is it still sufficient to get PCC from only current locality in addition to Passport office?

Thanks.

Hi Jaise -

Thanks again for sharing more details.
It is undisputable that you were on top of things and sent these at lightning speed to NVC ;) else it would have taken a couple more months easily. When I saw your first post, how quickly you and your parents mailed things back and forth, I was wondering if I would ever be able to things so quickly :eek:

So, are your parents with you now? If you're only going to send them to Chennai 3 or 4 days before the interview, just a word of caution.

http://chennai.usconsulate.gov/documentation.html#medical
Lister Laboratory is the Consulate's approved center for conducting blood tests and taking x-rays. All applicants must have these procedures performed at Lister Laboratory. It is not necessary to schedule an appointment for these tests, but you should allow at least three working days before your scheduled Immigrant Visa appointment for the laboratory tests to be completed. Applicants who are examined at the laboratory between 8 am and 10:30 am may be able to receive their laboratory results the same day.

Again, please keep us updated of any developments to your parents case, interview etc. Good luck to you and parents.

visaapplicant said:
I think I know what you meant here but there is a typo in item 1) and it should read:
1) If your passport was issued less then 6 month ago then you need PCC only from Passport Office

I think Jaise is Correct about the Police Clearance.

Chennai consulate website says:

If applicant is residing in India and his or her Indian passport was issued within past 6 months AND
is 16 years old or older THEN
the applicant needs a police certificate from…
1. Local area police station

http://chennai.usconsulate.gov/documentation.html#police

VisaApplicant, pls let us know if you saw something somewhere that differs from the above.

Jenimmi and Jaise,

You are right. There is difference in what Mumbai and Chennai Consulates are saying. I will edit my post above accordingly. Thanks for pointing out.

Here is a link from Mumbai consulate
http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/ivpolicecertificates.html

Also Delhi Consulate has same requirement as Mumbai
http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/police_certificates.html

I guess we should follow instructions from respective consulates. Also in my case, passports were issued more than 6 months ago and hence it will not matter.

However, what do you all think about National Visa Center's requirement on PCCs from previous lacalities?

Thanks.

PCC question

Visa applicant,

Regarding your question about your parent living in multiple place. I found this to be a grey area and it will depend on the cosulate you are interviewing.

NVC say you need pcc from all the places where your parents lived more that 6 months. However you dont need to send PCC to NVC. So basically PCC is required for local consulate. IN my case, I got it clarified with Chennai and they said i need two PCC ( one from passport office and one from local police office). If your consulate is different you need to contact them.

I have spoken to NVC about this and they have told me that they dont require PCC in this case. They have just given guidelines. However, if Consulate follows those guidelines or not its upto them.

jenimmi, Thanks for your wishes and advice. I have engaged a travel agent who does this on daily basis who will take care of my parents in chennai. I really dont want to take any chances.

Counting down the days.////

Jaise,

Thanks for clarification. That makes sense. We should follow consulate's guidelines. Good luck with your parents' interview process.

Question regading the Fee

Guys,

I have question regarding the fee. I already paid $380 for each of my parents. to NVC Which is the IV Fee Bill.

Does any one know what other fees do they need to pay for the visa .

I am not sure about Visa Issuane fees of $65 .

I know I have to pay for blue dart courier ( Rs 350). and al the medical.

Does any one know what all fees are now required. Websites are ambigous.

Fees

Jaise,

Based on posts in this forum, if $380 is paid then I believe there are no additional fees to be paid except for courier fees.

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=191583&page=2&pp=15

Although this post specifically talks about Mumbai Consulate. I believe Mumbai Consulate also has on their website saying that if $380 is paid than Visa issuance fee is not applicable.

A different question:
I understand that NVC fees $70 (For I-864 review) and $380 (IV bill) are to be paid by Cashier's Check/Money order and not by personal check.
Is there any way to track that they have been cashed? e.g. from issuing bank?

Thanks.