Cp/aos

HelpWanted

Registered Users (C)
Hello friends,

At present circumstances is it a good idea to go for CP or AOS?

What are the new implications including the processing time, if I go for CP?

If you support either of them, pl give us the reasons.

Thanks in adavance!

AOS vs CP

The biggest advantage of CP is that it is much fater than AOS. CP usually takes between 5 to 8 months from the date of I-140 approval.

The biggest advantage of AOS is that you get EAD and your wife also gets one. Hence your wife can immediately start looking for a job if she cares too.

Biggest disadvantage of CP: Expensive($) as you and your family needs to travel to your home country for interview. Little risk invloved if there are complications with your case. You will be by yourself in your country.

Biggest disadvantage of AOS: It's takes much longer to get GC. Approx about 2 years.

Good source of info:
www.immihelp.com
www.imminfo.com

Thanks.

Originally posted by HelpWanted
Hello friends,

At present circumstances is it a good idea to go for CP or AOS?

What are the new implications including the processing time, if I go for CP?

If you support either of them, pl give us the reasons.

Thanks in adavance!

The points mentioned by cpdelhi are valid. You should also consider the following very carefully.

1. It is absolutely essential for your employer to stand behind you during the entire process of CP.

2. If you loose your job ( God forbid..) any time before you get your Green Card then your GC is gone. Every thing comes back to square A.

3. As compared to this, AOS offers the AC21 and Portability shelters. So, you can, if you need, change your employer during the process, if the job is similar ( the INS should not adjudicate your case in 180 days from the date of filing, which is not likely at this point ..).

4. In AOS you will have the chance of appealing through your local attorney, where as CP is out of bounds and you will be on your own. But as I see it, if there is any big problem with your case the final outcome would be the same, whether at CP or AOS.

Bottom line is , if you are confident about all issues about your case, the continued support of your employer, willingness to spend the money for travel, then go for CP and the time line is much faster than AOS.

Talk to your employer ( if possible ), and your attorney.

By the way, mine is a CP case.

Good luck.