CP and SS card - received automatically or applied in person?

Did you go to a SS office and request a new SS card in person after yes on 33a?

• Yes, I did

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No, and card was received automatically

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I140inCA

Registered Users (C)
I'd like to start a poll to get a sense on how many of you had to go to the SS office to obtain a new card after answering yes on form 230 part II question 33 a and b?
I did CP recently and requested a new card on ds230 part II, and heard conflicting information whether it's necessary to a SS office or not. Technically, SS Administration sends a new card automatically, but I am not sure if this process needs a little nudge.
thanks,
i140inCA

I140inCA said:
ITechnically, SS Administration sends a new card automatically

Never heard about it (sending automatically). Neither SSA nor USCIS is that much efficient. :rolleyes:

pralay said:
Never heard about it (sending automatically). Neither SSA nor USCIS is that much efficient. :rolleyes:

Application for SSN is now a part of immigration process. But I am not
sure if it is for those who never had a SSN before or not. But since
there is no seperate replacement process except SS-5 form. I guess
you can do both

AmericanWannabe said:
Application for SSN is now a part of immigration process. But I am not
sure if it is for those who never had a SSN before or not. But since
there is no seperate replacement process except SS-5 form. I guess
you can do both

Shed me some light on it. Does that mean that a H1 visa holder gets his/her SSN card with his H1 approval notice? Or at POE?

AmericanWannabe said:

What I understood that when a person comes to USA for first time with immigrant visa (after consular processing approval), either at consulate or at POE the person gets to fill up SS-5 form. SS-5 is work for both new and repacementl (removing restriction). So I guess this process should work for both (new applicant or who already has number), provided the person did fill-up the form.
Basically it's like instead of standing in a long line at DMV, doing vehicle registration at AAA.

pralay said:
It's pretty common.

Many immigrants get this automatically.

I applied for SS# on DS-230 Part II, Questions 33 a and b ask about whether you want the Social Security Administration to issue you a card upon entering the US.
i140inCA

Update on SSN and DS230 q33a and 33b

Just wanted to post a quick update on the issue of SSN. I applied for a new number without the restriction and also a new card for a dependent on DS230 Part II question 33 a and 33b, and the both cards were received after 8 days of POE without having to make a trip to the social security administrations' office.

So, the system works, and there's no need to apply in additon to applying on the IV form.

best,
i140inCA

I140inCA said:
Just wanted to post a quick update on the issue of SSN. I applied for a new number without the restriction and also a new card for a dependent on DS230 Part II question 33 a and 33b, and the both cards were received after 8 days of POE without having to make a trip to the social security administrations' office.

So, the system works, and there's no need to apply in additon to applying on the IV form.

best,
i140inCA

Do you need an American address ? What if one does not have
an American address because it is possible that when they apply
for IV, they have never set foot on US soil. So what mailing address
should an applicant use to get SSN card?

you can use a Care Of (C/O) address and give a friend's or relative's address.

hope this helps,
i140inca

I140inCA said:
i140inCA

It works, IF it works otherwise like me U gotta to go to the SSA office. :D

Can restriction be removed from SS card

Hi:

If you are a P. Resident can the restriction " only with ins authorization" be removed from the card or do you have to be a US citizen?

Can be removed for PRs

mfaiz said:
Hi:

If you are a P. Resident can the restriction " only with ins authorization" be removed from the card or do you have to be a US citizen?

You can get the restriction removed for PRs. I got mine done recently and received the updated card after a week. As for the procedure, you have to fill out SS5 form. Do a search on this forum for additional details.