Cover Letter

moneypig

Registered Users (C)
May I ask... can anyone post the sample of Cover Letter for applying N-400 here?
I will send out N-400 soon, and want to attach a cover letter with application form.

Thanks!

Something like this.

To: Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Dear Sir/Madam

This is my application for Naturalization. I am applying for Naturalization based on five years as Lawful Permanent Resident.

Yours faithfully,
John Doe

Attachment:
- N-400 form, Application for Naturalization
- Copy of both sides of my Permanent Resident Card
- Two identical color photographs
- Check for 400 US Dollars.

ca_applicant said:
ditto. A covering letter is not required. Completed app with the supporting docs and fees is all that's needed.

Cover letter is best it shows organization and the USCIS misplaces documents or occasionally misfile things , A cover letter helps the process move along, besides iy shows you are well prepared, organised & responsible.

I suggest Cover Letter sample below

To: Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Dear Sir/Madam

This is my application for Naturalization. I am applying for Naturalization based on five years as Lawful Permanent Resident.

Attachment
- N-400 form, Application for Naturalization
- Copy of both sides of my Permanent Resident Card
- Two identical color photographs
- Check for 400 US Dollars.

Please process at your earliest convenience, if you need any additional information from me please call 555-122-5467

Respectfully,
Moneypig

The comment I received during my interview was that the my N-400 applicaton packet was well organized (I had cross referenced attachments to my cover letter).

The format is pretty much what everyone else has used above, nothing fancy.

Addie_Goodvibes said:
Cover letter is best it shows organization and the USCIS misplaces documents or occasionally misfile things , A cover letter helps the process move along, besides iy shows you are well prepared, organised & responsible.

Personally I don't think a cover letter adds any value. As long as your application is well prepared and organized that's all that matters. The very FIRST page of the N400 (Part 2) tells them what the basis of your application is.

The fingerprint notice is automatically sent out once your case is opened and you are assigned to a DO. Your interview date will be set depending mainly on the case load at the DO. Is there anyone out there who's case was processed faster because of a cover letter? If so I'd really like to talk to him/her.

Believing that sending a cover letter is good practice is another of those common myths prevelant on this forum (for other items look at the loooonnnnng laundry list of items in the sticky forum on N400 Documents!). Go ahead, send a cover letter if you like if it makes you feel better but don't expect to get your naturalization done faster because of it.

Sam

I concur. A cover letter doesn't affect the processing of your application in any way. A very organized application with all the stuff they've asked for is all I sent and I got naturalized. It comes down to personal preference. If sending a letter makes you feel good/organized and let's you sleep better at nights, sure just go for it.

Thanks!

In fact, I got this message from JohnnyCash's post at very first page of this forum.

He mentioned 1)Cover Letter... on the other hand, I also read...

[5] Divorce/Annulment Decree: If you were previously married, then you must need to send the divorce/annulment decree to INS to prove that your previously marriage has ended legally.

Should I have to attach marriage certificate, even I don't have divorce record?

Thanks!