Court record about driving citation...please help me

shritoons

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I'd mentioned red light violation in the N-400 form. The interview letter says bring relevent docs at the time of interview. I believe its because of my citation about red light violation ($351)

Now I have printouts of online payment, receipt/cert of completed classes. I recently got my driving record from dmv which does not say anything about this incident rather says no violations.

Also, I tried to call the court and asked about the no dues letter but the lady said the immigration officer should provide you a form (if the want to verify) and then we can provide you such letter (no dues- all clear).

Do you guys know anything about this form, or is there any other way to get this letter or the docs I have are sufficient for the interview?

Please assist, I may need to rush for this but little unclear.

Thanks in advance.

-shriToons

Go to the court clerk and ask them to give you a copy of the citation (they should have it) and ask the clerk to give you a document stating that the citation fine has been paid and the case has been dismissed.

do not go to the immigration and ask the for forms like the court has asked you (the dont have such thing).

If you get the two documents from the court, you will be fine.

Oh, thank you so much. I do have citation that I received in the mail but need the letter. Btw do you know how long they take for letter?

Thank much.
shriToons

The court clerk can provide you with the citation and proof of payment.

I had three speeding tickets:
  1. One from a sparsely populated (pop: 2,000), very poor county in a neighboring state, from five years ago
  2. Another one from a similar country in another neighboring state, from five years ago
  3. One from the county where I currently live, from a year ago
For 1, I managed to track down the phone number of the county court. I called them, and they gave me to the phone number of the traffic court instead. I called that court, asked for proof of payment (no reason specified), and they offered to mail it to me. I got it a couple of days later; it was a computer printout showing that I'd paid the fine.

For 2, I got the e-mail address of the county court clerk. I e-mailed them, and they said they'd send me the proof if I sent them a self-addressed, stamped envelope. I sent them an envelope, and they mailed back the proof (another computer printout.)

For 3, I went down to the county courthouse, and asked for proof. They asked to see some ID, and printed out the proof for me.

So it varies from county to county. But, if you sound confident and don't give them any reason why you need the proof, you shouldn't have any hassles.

IMHO the N-400 does not require you to list minor traffic tickets (others will disagree.) I am not going to list my speeding tickets on the N-400, because it's just going to confuse the IO. But I am going to be prepared with my proofs of payment at my interview, just in case the question comes up.

Last edited by a moderator:
i did the same thing.

5 minor moving violation tickets.
found the case numbers from virginia state website
2 are in arlington, VA county courts(sent self-stamped envelop),
3 are in fairfax, VA county courts(called and provided case#, box#).

I got the reply mails in less than 1 week. they are the copies of the original summons. all of them are stamped to show the cases are paid and dismissed

sampai said:
The court clerk can provide you with the citation and proof of payment.

I had three speeding tickets:
  1. One from a sparsely populated (pop: 2,000), very poor county in a neighboring state, from five years ago
  2. Another one from a similar country in another neighboring state, from five years ago
  3. One from the county where I currently live, from a year ago
For 1, I managed to track down the phone number of the county court. I called them, and they gave me to the phone number of the traffic court instead. I called that court, asked for proof of payment (no reason specified), and they offered to mail it to me. I got it a couple of days later; it was a computer printout showing that I'd paid the fine.

For 2, I got the e-mail address of the county court clerk. I e-mailed them, and they said they'd send me the proof if I sent them a self-addressed, stamped envelope. I sent them an envelope, and they mailed back the proof (another computer printout.)

For 3, I went down to the county courthouse, and asked for proof. They asked to see some ID, and printed out the proof for me.

So it varies from county to county. But, if you sound confident and don't give them any reason why you need the proof, you shouldn't have any hassles.

IMHO the N-400 does not require you to list minor traffic tickets (others will disagree.) I am not going to list my speeding tickets on the N-400, because it's just going to confuse the IO. But I am going to be prepared with my proofs of payment at my interview, just in case the question comes up.

sampai said:

That's exactly my standpoint as well. I did not list my traffic violations (all minor). However, I will get the court disposition before I go for the interview.

I am surprised by how many people mention traffic violations on their applications and the have to run around for paperwork.

There is absolutely NO need to mention traffic tickets. The only time you need to mention is if you were ARRESTED and FINGERPRINTED, say for hitting someone and driving away.

I had traffic violations, I did not metion them nor was I asked about them. But I got all the proof the payment, tickets, etc. just in case.

A few weeks ago, I ran a survey on whether or not to list minor traffic violations on the N-400. Of those who listed traffic tickets, 40 percent were asked for court dispositions. Those who did not list the tickets were not asked for court dispositions.

There is one known case where a person was asked for dispositions, even though he didn't list his traffic violations on the N-400. But, in that case, the applicant told the IO that he didn't recall how many tickets he had gotten; that may have forced the IO to ask for dispositions, in case there was something the applicant was hiding.

Last edited by a moderator: