couple of questions

andone

Registered Users (C)
1) suppose i apply for naturalization, and then i go to Canada, but i still return to the U.S. for the fongerprinting, interview and oath dates.outside of these dates i would be living in Canada.

would there be any problem with this-towards my U.S. naturalization?

thank you

Citizenship is a privilege granted only to those who maintain lawful permanent residence in the USA!

bear in mind i am a permanent U.S. resident. i am not in the U.S. ilegally.

my question is : would i jeopardize my U.S. residency, if i live in Canada after i apply for naturalization? would this jeopardize my chances to become a U.S. citizen?

andone said:
1) suppose i apply for naturalization, and then i go to Canada, but i still return to the U.S. for the fongerprinting, interview and oath dates.outside of these dates i would be living in Canada.

would there be any problem with this-towards my U.S. naturalization?

thank you

I believe part of the interview process is to validate/confirm the details provided on the application. If the officer should ask you about any travel that you may have done after making the application, it may look a little suspicious if you have lived in Canada and just made trips back for fingerprinting, interview etc. If at all possible, why not wait until you acquire the citizenship and then move to Canada?

could they deny my application just cause i lived in Canada after my application?
i would still be a U.S. resident, taking some courses in Canada during the time that they process my application.

You have to maintain your permanent residence in the US until the day you take the naturalization oath. You will almost certainly be asked about your travel out of the country after submitting th N-400 form during the interview. The officer may ask you to confirm your current employer. If you stay in out of US for more than 6 months, you will break your continouus residency. In addition, as a PR you always have to have permanent ties to the US, i.e. home/rental residence, bank accounts, investments, driver's license, etc.

Unless you can convince the officer during your interview, why you were living in Canada and it WAS a temporary situation, you may jeopardize your green card also.

Last edited by a moderator: