Could my AP be a problem when I reenter US?

peaceinheart

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,
I do need some urgent help here. My dad has been very sick (cancer) for some time. He is feeling worse and worse so I decided to go back to visit him in the mid of next month. Originally, I was very optimistic hoping I could get my GC approval before the end of Aug. Unfortunatelly, it looks like I still need more patience to stay in this long waiting line though some guys far behind me had got approved :eek: (Congratulations to those lucky guys). I have decided to use my AP to go back my home country. But my concern is that the address shown on my AP is my old address though before they mailed AP to me I have both mailed the AR-11 form to them and called the customer service to change my address. Could this be a problem when I reenter US? BTW what docs should I bring with me when I go to travel? Thanks a lot in advance.

p.s. I know this is quite an old topic, but I just couldn't find the posts in archives. So if someone could show me the clue where to find them, his/her help will be greatly appreciated.

RD/ND: Dec. 30/31 2002
1st FP: Feb 2003
2nd FP: Aug 5 2004 (done on July 29)
LUD changed. 08/05/04, 08/07/04, 08/09/04, 08/13/04

peaceinheart said:
Hi Guys,
I do need some urgent help here. My dad has been very sick (cancer) for some time. He is feeling worse and worse so I decided to go back to visit him in the mid of next month. Originally, I was very optimistic hoping I could get my GC approval before the end of Aug. Unfortunatelly, it looks like I still need more patience to stay in this long waiting line though some guys far behind me had got approved :eek: (Congratulations to those lucky guys). I have decided to use my AP to go back my home country. But my concern is that the address shown on my AP is my old address though before they mailed AP to me I have both mailed the AR-11 form to them and called the customer service to change my address. Could this be a problem when I reenter US? BTW what docs should I bring with me when I go to travel? Thanks a lot in advance.

p.s. I know this is quite an old topic, but I just couldn't find the posts in archives. So if someone could show me the clue where to find them, his/her help will be greatly appreciated.

RD/ND: Dec. 30/31 2002
1st FP: Feb 2003
2nd FP: Aug 5 2004 (done on July 29)
LUD changed. 08/05/04, 08/07/04, 08/09/04, 08/13/04
I don't think an old address should be a problem. I mean the AP is valid for a year - so why should I not change my home after that.
So that should be OK - as long your A#, Name etc are correct
( I know for a friend and his wife, they issued AP with the same A# for both - weird - he had problems entering and it was resolved after about 2 hrs or so ).

If you still have valid non-immigrant status, keep all those docs ( like paystub, emp letter, approved LCA, i797 etc etc ).
Definitely carry your original 485 receipt notice ( my lawyers insist on original for some reason). .... worst case a copy should do .
If possible take ur 140 approval notice ( not really needed though ).

EAD might come in handy - its a photo ID plus it has your A#.
And of course, AP and passport.

That should be it.

peaceinheart,

Terrible circumstances to travel in. I wish your and your father all the best, god willing he will take a turn for the better.

As far as travel advice is concerned:
1. There is absolutely NO problem as far as the address change affecting your travel plans. The address on the AP is only used to direct the letter to your house, beyond that it has no validity.
2. Despite the comprehensive list stated by Max2k1, the only documents you need for this travel are:
a. Valid passport.
b. Valid AP (expiry date should be atleast a day after your entry into the US)

Beyond that you need no futher documents, if you really want to carry additional documents, you could carry:
c. Copy of your 485,
d. EAD
e. EVL

None of the last 3 are required or essential. This can be confirmed by checking the USCIS webpage on travel in the AOS stage, and my experience over the past 3 years on travelling on AP.

The original 485 need be carried ONLY if you are travelling on a immigrant visa (H1/etc.)

Once again, good luck with everything. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your father. Feel free to post any questions you have in this thread. If you need any links to validate any of the above, I can probably hunt them up for you.

I'm very grateful for all u guys' great help. May God bless all of us...

I do appreciate all the info. provided by max2k1 and 140-take-4ever and I think what you said are right. I'll reserve my airline ticket and bring all the docs recommended by u guys. I'm praying now for my dad's health and also praying for everyone here who is still enduring the mental torture inflicted by those stupid and arrogant immigration officers. Also give my good wishes to all the guys who had got their freedom... :)

Great thanks to u guys again

Take your status document and AP

IU just travelled to Canada with my AP. At the recommendation of my lawyer I had a photocopy of my originals and the original I-485 as back-up. I travelled twice in the past month. Based from my experience, all you need to show is your AP. They did ask me what is my address, but I have no idea if they matched it to their records. They also asked me other questions such as where I work, and its address, reason for travel, ...

All I can tell you is that i was very worried since I belong to a country which requires special registration, but all went smoothly with the AP. That's all you need. My prayers are with you and your father.

Just came back from Hongkong last week. San Francisco airport.

Placed my passport, I-94 and one AP on the counter and waited in a chair.
20 minutes later an officer handed me back my stuff and said "thank you".
That's the only conversation happened.

good luck,