Could K3 be a good option for me?

zenusa

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have applied I-130 for my wife an year and half ago while I was in a Green card status. I recently got naturalized and sent my certificate to update the application status. It has been only a week. Now, should I do K-3 as well or 130 should move faster? Any suggestions?

Thanks

K-3 visa process is faster than the I-130 application for US citizen's wife

As a US citizen now, your I-130 should move faster then before after you senting US citizen certificate to update the application status. But if you want your wife come to US as soon as possible, you may still want to apply for K-3 visa, so she does not need to wait outside US for long time. Normally, K-3 visa process is faster than the I-130 application for US citizen's wife.

As indicated at www.greencardfamily.com/question/question2007/question2007_0625.htm, "The purpose of the K-3 visa is to promote family reunion and serves as a temporary remedy for the long delayed family based immigration petition process. It allows the alien spouse to stay in the U.S. while waiting for the result of the pending immigration petition. The alien spouse may obtain work authorization during the waiting period."

VectorP
www.greencardapply.com
www.greencardfamily.com

Hi,

I have applied I-130 for my wife an year and half ago while I was in a Green card status. I recently got naturalized and sent my certificate to update the application status. It has been only a week. Now, should I do K-3 as well or 130 should move faster? Any suggestions?

Thanks
It may very well be a waste of time and money for you to now file the I-129F for the K-3 after this length of time. the benefit of the K-3 visa is very much lost at this stage IMO. Things have also changed somewhat since October 2006, when I-129F petitions for a spouse started being transferred after mailing to the Chicago Lockbox, to the service center that holds the corresponding I-130. In most cases since, both petitions have been then approved at the same time or there abouts, with the I-130 being held, and the I-129F transferred to NVC and then off to the consulate.
If you stick with the Immigrant route, in general, you are looking at 3-4 months at NVC with the I-130 after it is approved and forwarded (can be longer if there is holdups with the background checks etc.), then the wait time for the interview (time varies depending on consulate). Have you checked to see if there is any difference in interview scheduling times for the K-3 verses Immigrant Visa at your consulate/embassy?? If you go the K-3 route you may also want to consider the huge fee increase for adjustment of status. Have a look at Understanding Your Visa Options