Could I invite my parents to visit us with my asylum documents

mmm-mmm

Registered Users (C)
Hi, guys:
thanks for your help!! I filed my I485 the beginning of this year. Could I invite my parents to visit me with my asylum documents?

mmm-mmm

mmm-mmm said:
Hi, guys:
thanks for your help!! I filed my I485 the beginning of this year. Could I invite my parents to visit me with my asylum documents?

mmm-mmm

You can send them an invitation and they are free to apply for a visa to come here. But it is up to the American Embassy or consulate to approve or deny the visa. The visa is very hard to get if they doubt that your parents would be going back.

As Thankful said, it's up to the embassy there, but yes, you can fill out an affidavit of support and invite them. My cousin did it and she brought her mom to visit, 3 times!

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks you so much!! I will try ,anyway.

bringslite said:
As Thankful said, it's up to the embassy there, but yes, you can fill out an affidavit of support and invite them. My cousin did it and she brought her mom her to visit, 3 times!

This is much easier if you parents has a history of coming and going back.

My parents were here for 10 years on F1/J1 visa and went back.
They routinely came back for short stays after that and went back (as did I)

My parents will never move to the USA for various reasons but a history of going back will help.

The got approved for a multiple entry visa valid for 10 years!!

do you hold the asylum status?

meLIBERTY2 said:
This is much easier if you parents has a history of coming and going back.

My parents were here for 10 years on F1/J1 visa and went back.
They routinely came back for short stays after that and went back (as did I)

My parents will never move to the USA for various reasons but a history of going back will help.

The got approved for a multiple entry visa valid for 10 years!!

You can, but...

In my own experience, consular officer at embasy denied visa to my parents, he thought they were going to apply for asylum as I did.

They actually comply with all the guidelines, ties to homecountry, funds availability, etc etc...

I dont know what they see in their database at the embasy about your current status, my parents made the mistake and told the officer about me and my status, but if possible ask them not to mention you, unless the officer brings it up first...the only issue is about the visa application form where they ask you about your relatives in the U.S.... tricky issue

Then again, maybe the consular office did not get laid the previous night, he was in bad mood and denied my parents visa.

hope it helps...

Last edited by a moderator:
Except that the visa form asks you to list the locations for all your near relatives. When they are in the United States, they have to supply their immigration stauts as well. And do not even think about hiding this information as it constitutes fraud.

empanado said:
In my own experience, consular officer at embasy denied visa to my parents, he thought they were going to apply for asylum as I did.

They complained with all the guidelines, ties to homecountry, funds availability, etc etc...

I dont know what they see in their database at the embasy about your current status, my parents made the mistake and told the officer about me and my status, but if possible ask them not to mention you, unless the officer brings it up first...

Then again, maybe the consular office did not get laid the previous night, he was in bad mood and denied my parents visa.

hope it helps...

empanado said:
I dont know what they see in their database at the embasy about your current status,...

They sure don't. Or to be specific, if they do, it must be after january 8th 2004. I know what I am talking about... :)

It's hard. Especially if you came to this country with B1/B2 VISA. They will deny your parents' application. My parents were rejected. My friends who have the same status with us tried to bring their parents here but failed either.

It's so frustrated. We got the LPR but cann't reunion with the families. This is not right. Even the prisoner, they have their right to have relatives and friends to visit. Why not us???????

My mom in law got her visa for 4 month to visit us, when my wife was pregnant.
that was one year ago.

Would you pls share how you bring your monther-in-law here? Interviewer told my parents that they can not get the VISA because I came into the U.S with B1/B2 VISA and I stayed here illegally.

SNOW WHITE said:
Would you pls share how you bring your monther-in-law here? Interviewer told my parents that they can not get the VISA because I came into the U.S with B1/B2 VISA and I stayed here illegally.

SNOW WHITE:
after you arrived US with B1/B2 visa, you stayed US for a while illegally, right? then you applyed the asylee. I think I guess correctly. now you already got GC, should be ok. try again. my case is very simple. staying here legally all the time. I will let them try to get visa.

SNOW WHITE said:

SNOW WHITE:
after you arrived US with B1/B2 visa, you stayed US for a while illegally, right? then you applyed the asylee. I think I guess correctly. now you already got GC, should be ok. try again. my case is very simple. staying here legally all the time. I will let them try to get visa.

mmm-mmm: When do your parent plan to apply B-2? to which consulate? Please let me know the result!
Thanks.