Could I get h1 have violated f1 status by working off campus without EAD?

kitimu

Could I get h1 have violated f1 status by working off campus without EAD?
I'm an f1 student who is on OPT right now and who got a job offer from a US firms that is providing its own lawyers and sponsoring me for my work visa. While submitting all my paperwork, I was asked if I've worked without EAD in the past, which I have. When I was in a severe financial hardship I worked at a local restaurant for check. It wasn't regularly, but over a long period of time ( for about a year).

Now if I'll be honest and tell everything to the firm's immigration attorneys, would they refuse to apply for my H1b? Or will they work with me on my situation? Although I realize that I made a huge mistake working off campus, I always maintained an excellent GPA, always took more than 12 credit hours and etc.

While talking to some people, I was adviced not to tell about past restaurant job, since it's irrelevant to my current position at the firm. However, I'm afraid they may find out in the process and it may hurt me more, because I've always paid taxed while working.

I'm worried that the company might not even want to sponsor me once they find out that I've not propery maintained my status. Because they are the ones who are taking a risk and paying H1b fees.

Please, help with any information you know or may have experienced in the past. I'm willing to pay the fine & leave the country & come back again if I have to, the only thing is I don't know what are the consequences of violating and working off campus while on F1 visa? and even if I have to leave US for how long would it be?

You have obviously worked illegally. Go through your regular process of H1/GC but unfortunately if they probe deeper, be ready to face the consequences. For some kind of economic hardships you could have obtained work authorization, why didn't you do that.

As I said I've already violated and I'm looking for information that would help me out of this situation. Plz, help me with something helpful, not with what I shouldn't have done in the past, because I can't change anything that's happened in the past :(

Thank you!

Always be honest with the attorneys. If you feel you do not want to give this information to the company's attorney, obtain your own for best advice.