Copy or original? I-485 receipt notice at interview

gabebalazs

Registered Users (C)
My family based GC interview is on April 14th.
My wife and I are pretty much set and prepared, we've been married for almost 4 years, there shouldn't be any problems.

However, I have a question. My legal status currently is based on a pending employment based petition: I-140 approved, I-485 filed in mid 2007 and pending (EB3). So I have an employment-based I485 I-797 receipt notice from 2007, and technically that's my current legal status indicator. But I don't have the original with me, my attorney has it. I have a copy, and I also have the fresh case status online printout from USCIS stating it's received and pending.

I just emailed my attorney who lives 1500 miles from me (he moved), and asked him to mail the original receipt notice to me. However, he's sometimes scatter brained and I'm worried he won't mail it to me in time.

So will a copy (PDF printout) of the I-485 receipt notice AND a fresh current printout of the case status from USCIS be enough at the interview in case he won't mail the original to me? I also have a valid EB EAD card etc.

I would love to have to original obviously but just wondering...

thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:
You have 2 pending I-485's? One for employment and one based on marriage? If you're going to the marriage-based interview, why are you worried about bringing the employment-based receipt?

You have 2 pending I-485's? One for employment and one based on marriage? If you're going to the marriage-based interview, why are you worried about bringing the employment-based receipt?

That is what his current status is based on. I would carry too, who knows what the IO may ask for?

That is what his current status is based on. I would carry too, who knows what the IO may ask for?
If he filed a marriage-based I-485, received a marriage-based EAD and is going for a marriage-based interview, it would seem to me that his current status is based on the marriage-based I-485. Or at least he needs to claim that his status is based on the marriage-based I-485.

If he filed a marriage-based I-485, received a marriage-based EAD and is going for a marriage-based interview, it would seem to me that his current status is based on the marriage-based I-485. Or at least he needs to claim that his status is based on the marriage-based I-485.

Somewhere on the interview notice it states that you carry documents to show eligibility for the AOS you are applying for.... that eligibility is his AOS based on employment hence his receipt. In my case I carried my student status papers to show eligibility for my marriage based AOS.

Okay, just read all this above I kinda forgot about this topic :)

I needed the employment-based I-485 NOA because for a year (from January 24, 2008 to the date I filed my family based case) that was my only legal status in the US. My H1B expired on January 24, 2008 and after that my pending EB case ensured my legal status. So I needed that to prove there was no gap in my legal status.

But anyway, the officer did not look at ANY of our original documents, only asked for our passports. It went easy, friendly atmosphere, jokes etc. I got approved.

Now the only twist is that the officer has to "deny" my EB3 process, he said I'll get a denial letter for my employment GC process. But he needs to get a file first. I really hope it won't take long because we plan on travelling in about a month to Europe.

AND it really sucks that I cannot even check my case status online. None of my new MSC receipt numbers work, they all say validation error, not available. They never worked. I received EAD, AP, did fingerprinting, even got approved for GC still nothing. It would be critical to check the card production, welcome letter etc. status for our travel plans.

Does anyone know why MSC service center Receipt#s won't show up for so some people? Any other way to check status? I presume calling the automated CS number would result in the same, they must be interconnected I guess.

Okay, just read all this above I kinda forgot about this topic :)

I needed the employment-based I-485 NOA because for a year (from January 24, 2008 to the date I filed my family based case) that was my only legal status in the US. My H1B expired on January 24, 2008 and after that my pending EB case ensured my legal status. So I needed that to prove there was no gap in my legal status.

But anyway, the officer did not look at ANY of our original documents, only asked for our passports. It went easy, friendly atmosphere, jokes etc. I got approved.

Now the only twist is that the officer has to "deny" my EB3 process, he said I'll get a denial letter for my employment GC process. But he needs to get a file first. I really hope it won't take long because we plan on travelling in about a month to Europe.

AND it really sucks that I cannot even check my case status online. None of my new MSC receipt numbers work, they all say validation error, not available. They never worked. I received EAD, AP, did fingerprinting, even got approved for GC still nothing. It would be critical to check the card production, welcome letter etc. status for our travel plans.

Does anyone know why MSC service center Receipt#s won't show up for so some people? Any other way to check status? I presume calling the automated CS number would result in the same, they must be interconnected I guess.

It will take about a month - your case is similar to somebody's on this forum, it took her about a month to get her gc after the interview.