Continuous Residency - proof?

krajan02

Registered Users (C)
I recenlty sent my N-400 app with the minimum docs (app fee, GC copy) and got my NOA and FP letter within a week. I applied to VSC and my FP is in Newark on the 18th. The NOA says that there are missing docs that i need to bring to interview and I will get a separate letter about it.

My issues is in the last 5 years I have 3 instances of stay outside the U.S for about 5 months. All the 3 trips were based on real emergencies. First two trips were for my mother who was diagonised with Cancer and I had to go and take care of her (I have the medical records). The third trip again was for a medical emergency this time it was my 14 year old nephew who was diagonised with Lung cancer( I have the records).

In all the 3 instances i applied for a Re-entry permit but never used it as i was back within 6 months. During my stay outside I maintained bank accounts, filed for my Taxes properly never worked outside U.S. I gave my friends address and all my correspondeces went to that address during my absense.

I know that they ask for proof of residency like lease agreement etc. but in my case i always stayed with close family friends and hence never had to pay any rent.

My questuon is what evidenc can i produce besides the once I have already listed?

Do you think it might get tricky at the interview and I should take the help of a immigration lawyer?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

IANAL, but the sticking point might be can you prove you were in the USA if you did not keep your own residence at any time. However your situation cannot be unique. What about credit card statements showing purchases during that time frame? Car registration etc. If you are concerned, and the board does not come up with good answers, you can probably pay $50 for a quick consult with an immigration attorney to get their advice.

I recenlty sent my N-400 app with the minimum docs (app fee, GC copy) and got my NOA and FP letter within a week. I applied to VSC and my FP is in Newark on the 18th. The NOA says that there are missing docs that i need to bring to interview and I will get a separate letter about it.

My issues is in the last 5 years I have 3 instances of stay outside the U.S for about 5 months. All the 3 trips were based on real emergencies. First two trips were for my mother who was diagonised with Cancer and I had to go and take care of her (I have the medical records). The third trip again was for a medical emergency this time it was my 14 year old nephew who was diagonised with Lung cancer( I have the records).

In all the 3 instances i applied for a Re-entry permit but never used it as i was back within 6 months. During my stay outside I maintained bank accounts, filed for my Taxes properly never worked outside U.S. I gave my friends address and all my correspondeces went to that address during my absense.

I know that they ask for proof of residency like lease agreement etc. but in my case i always stayed with close family friends and hence never had to pay any rent.

My questuon is what evidenc can i produce besides the once I have already listed?

Do you think it might get tricky at the interview and I should take the help of a immigration lawyer?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

I think there are ways of proving residency in the US other than a lease agreement or a mortgage statement. I believe the following should work well:

1. Valid driver's license showing your current address.
2. Bank Statements.
3. Official change of address from USPS
4. Tax return statements/transcripts (filed as resident)
5. Credit Card statements.
6. Admission stamps on your passport showing the date you entered the US after each trip. I have been keeping boarding passes for any trip I make abroad (just in case).

Also, since you technically never broke the continuous residence rule (staying abroad for less than 6 months) you should be ok especially that your stay abroad was for a valid cause.

Also the fact that you were issued a re-entry permit means that USCIS approved the reason you presented when you applied. I personally think that you shouldn't worry too much about it. This is my opinion and please consider it and don't act based upon it. You should always consult an immigration attorney for sensitive cases like naturalization.

In all likelihood, continuous residency is not the reason for the "missing evidences" letter. If you do some searching for that term, you'll see a great many threads discussing that standard form letter. The general consensus is that you get it if you answer "yes" to the citations question. Nothing to worry about.

Presumably you three trips weren't taken back-to-back? If not, there really is continuous residence problem at all.

thanks guys, you all raise valid points. i will wait for the letter before jumping into the issues.

thanks again