Consulate

karepu

Hi All,
I have received my packet3 and my interview is going to be in Mumbai but i was under impression that it would be in Chennai.Does anyone have any idea what is that they look for before allocation a consulate..

Anyways i really dont have a big problem with Mumbai Consulate but just curious

karepu,
I think one of the thing that they look at the place your original passport was issued. If it's under Chennai consulate area you will get Chennai consulate. But sometimes they redirect some of the cases to other consulate, could be because of overloading... not sure.
Good luck,

karepu said:
Hi All,
I have received my packet3 and my interview is going to be in Mumbai but i was under impression that it would be in Chennai.Does anyone have any idea what is that they look for before allocation a consulate..

Check what you have mentioned in the I-140. If it AC-140 check your I-824. You might have mentioned Mumbai.

karepu said:
Hi All,

Normally, the Consular interview should be at the Consulate which has jurisdiction over the home area.

Did you get a BMB case number? If so, call NVC and ask why it is a BMB number (if you had asked for Chennai). Often NVC make a mistake and assign the case to wrong consulate. It is better to be corrected while the case is at NVC.

But waiting for reassigning after it reached BMB consulate may cause further delays.

I have called up NVC and they were saying that it must have been mentioned in my petition as Mumbai.They said they can change it if i want which would take 2-4 weeks but when i asked if i wish to continue the with Mumbai consulate ,would they be objecting because my home area is nearer to chennai ,they said they doesn't know about it??

Any Suggestions

karepu said:
I have called up NVC and they were saying that it must have been mentioned in my petition as Mumbai.They said they can change it if i want which would take 2-4 weeks but when i asked if i wish to continue the with Mumbai consulate ,would they be objecting because my home area is nearer to chennai ,they said they doesn't know about it??

Any Suggestions

My guess is that, transferring a case to MDR from BMB may be much easier, faster and controllable when done within NVC than with the Consulates; besides the 2-4 weeks delay could be masked with DS230 processing time.

But I have not done it, so wouldnot know for sure.

I had a similar situation, my case was assigned to Mumbai instead of Chennai. My lawyer faxed a request for the change in consulate to NVC and it was done in I guess two weeks. But it didnot not affect the overall processing, I guess we had sent the request when the fee bill was generated and by the time P3 got generated my case had been assigned MDR number. But in your case you have already recieved your P3, the time between you send the P3 and NVC transfers it to consulate after review varies between 2 to 4 weeks (based on cptracker.com). So either you take a chance and fax in your request or just go the Mumbai..

-sg

Wrong consulate corrected

My case was assigned to the wrong consulate.
I sent them an email,and I was assigned a new case number in 24 hours.
My fee bill has been generated but not received.

1.Will the change in consulate affect the processing time?

2.Will the fee bill have my old case number ie. will there be any possibilty of a further mixup in consulates ?When I call the NVC it gives the same information for both case numbers.

Thanks