Consular processing

sk446

Registered Users (C)
My I140 was approved in may 2001, After that I applied for 485 and am still waiting to har something from INS (NSC).

Can someone pls tell me how much time it takes for CP cases after I140 stage?

Originally posted by sk446
My I140 was approved in may 2001, After that I applied for 485 and am still waiting to har something from INS (NSC).

Since you have opted for AOS first, you have to file I-824 which is intimating the INS that you want to change to CP route. I hear people saying that it take few months ( 5 to 6 ??? ) .

However, depending on the consulate you are going to , there is another path called the Attorney Certified I-140, which by passes the National Visa Center.

But, not all consulates entertain this method.

Some of the consulates accept the fact of filing the I-824 without waiting for it to be decided on. Look for this information in the forum.

So, to make the process work, and make it fast, you need a Consulate which accepts the proof of filing the I-824 and also entertains the AC I-140 cases.

If you provide some more details, some of the members will probably respond with information.

Raju

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by sk446
As per murthy.com (http://murthy.com/pt_neb.html), NSC on going I-485 (Employment-based) priority date that is currently getting processed is 08.01.2001

Since your I-140 approval happened in May 2001, that means that your filing date for Labor Certification (your priority date) must be much earlier than May 2001. In that case you should be very close to getting your I-485 adjusted. Please confirm with your attorney about your case status or call INS.

Just a thought: Don't start the CP process even before you make sure what is the current status of your case.

Raju has already answered your question. About 5-8 months approx.

Good luck & Thanks

guys, u all 've done a v.v. smart thing by going in for CP.
my RD for 485 is 8/6/01 and am still just waiting.
wish i had gone for CP.
thanks and enjoy ur freedom!!

have to agree with cpdelhi ...

u are nearly there, so it makes sense to stick to AOS for now unless they really freeze the processing !!!

It will not hurt to educate urself with the CP process especially AC-140 .... if u do AC-140 then Delhi and Bombay can probably give u an interview date within 4-5 months ...

Another thing with CP is that u have to have legal status in the US .... so if u are using ur EAD to work, then the only way u can go for CP is to have ur employer file for H1 ... the moment u file I-824 u will lose ur EAD status as ur 485 is considered withdrawn .....:eek: