• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Consular Processing -- what exactly happens?

luckySAboy

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Can someone who has been through the Consular Processing exercise describe what happens after the interview, if it is successful?

I'm processing mine in London. If anyone has experience of the process in London in particular, I would love to hear your experiences.

Some general questions about CP:
How soon after a successful interview do you get the immigrant visa?

How long is the visa for?

Can you request that the visa start on a specific date?

Once you enter the U.S., how long after does it take to get the green card?

I work in London as a contractor and plan on resigning my job in September when my contract ends. Assuming I'm successful at interview (likely to take place in April based on the latest visa bulletin data), can I go to the U.S. with the immigrant visa, stay for a week or two and come back to the UK before I get the physical green card? I'll have my relative in the states FedEx it over to me in the UK when it arrives? I've heard that it's possible to stay outside the US for up to 180 days and maintain your LPR status, so I'm thinking of using this to come back to the UK and finish up my contract in September and then move to the U.S. for good.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Can someone who has been through the Consular Processing exercise describe what happens after the interview, if it is successful?

I'm processing mine in London. If anyone has experience of the process in London in particular, I would love to hear your experiences.

Some general questions about CP:
How soon after a successful interview do you get the immigrant visa?

How long is the visa for?

Can you request that the visa start on a specific date?

Once you enter the U.S., how long after does it take to get the green card?

I work in London as a contractor and plan on resigning my job in September when my contract ends. Assuming I'm successful at interview (likely to take place in April based on the latest visa bulletin data), can I go to the U.S. with the immigrant visa, stay for a week or two and come back to the UK before I get the physical green card? I'll have my relative in the states FedEx it over to me in the UK when it arrives? I've heard that it's possible to stay outside the US for up to 180 days and maintain your LPR status, so I'm thinking of using this to come back to the UK and finish up my contract in September and then move to the U.S. for good.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Once you have your successful interview, you will have to come back with your medicals; if they are convienced of your test report, you will be given a form to come for your visa in two days time.
When the visa is issued, you have six months to leave for US otherwise the visa will expire. In the Visa, you have one year pamenant resident. After that one year, you can renew it.
With the green card it depends.

Hi faithfulness,

Thanks for the insight. Are you talking specifically about London processing? I ask because I read about the process in Bangladesh that someone posted and it seems like over there you submit the medical on the day of the interview. But from what you've described it seems to be a two-step process. Is this only in London?

Also, as the visa is good for six months, can one travel on it during those six months?

thanks

Hi faithfulness,

Thanks for the insight. Are you talking specifically about London processing? I ask because I read about the process in Bangladesh that someone posted and it seems like over there you submit the medical on the day of the interview. But from what you've described it seems to be a two-step process. Is this only in London?

Also, as the visa is good for six months, can one travel on it during those six months?

thanks

Hi, they are two things as well as cp is concern. either you do your medicals before interview for your visa to be isue to you or you do your interview and they will refer to go for the medicals that means your process will be prolong

Hi faithfulness,

thanks

LuckySAboy... take the time to search and read through the forum as there is a lot of experiences already written about doing CP in London. Also there is a great number of information described about the process