Consular processing at Canada???Possible??

Bhola2004

Registered Users (C)
I am a INDIAN. If file I-485 for CP, do I have a choice to select any other consulate in canada or mexico rather than in INDIA? I mean as Canada or Mexico is nearby, Do I have option to process I-485 with CP options either at Canada or Mexico???

I need this feeback. Please reply, if somebody knows the answer.

I think always you need to go back to home country to do CP and at the consulate which serves your home area. This is what I learned from my lawyer. Also you have to mention in your I-140 that you want to do CP instead of AOS.

waiting_4_485

CP at home country

I think CP can be done only at a person's home country of birth. So acquired citizenships do not apply. i.e. even if a person who is Indian by birth has acquired citizenships in someother country like Canada or UK, he will be eligible for CP at India only.

I have also heard that even in home country we are able to choose only those Consulates which are covering the region of the alternate residence. i.e. if your indian address is in the southern states then you can apply only at the Chennai Consulate and so on.

Re: CP at home country

Originally posted by Srirangam
I think CP can be done only at a person's home country of birth. So acquired citizenships do not apply. i.e. even if a person who is Indian by birth has acquired citizenships in someother country like Canada or UK, he will be eligible for CP at India only.

I have also heard that even in home country we are able to choose only those Consulates which are covering the region of the alternate residence. i.e. if your indian address is in the southern states then you can apply only at the Chennai Consulate and so on.

Actually I know lot of Naturalized Canadian Citizens who completed the CP processing in Canada .

Chennai consulate info on this

Edison

I based my opinion on the Chennai Consulate info from their website.

In their FAQ list the following are found:

"The U.S. Consulate General in Chennai is responsible for immigrant visa cases for those applicants residing in the states of Tamil Nadu; Andhra Pradesh; Karnataka; Kerala; The Union Territory of Pondicherry and The Lakshadweep Islands."

"On a case-by-case basis, the U.S. Consulate General in Chennai is accepting employment-based immigrant visa cases for processing when all the following conditions are met:
>INS has already approved an E1 or E2 category immigrant visa petition and the applicant has an original I-797 form
>the applicant is a resident of the Chennai consular district >the priority date of the case is current or could reasonably be expected to be current within 60 days (we will not warehouse non-current cases)."

However if you personally know of cases on the contrary, then I guess there should be some other way to bypass this.

You can do CP in any country that you are either a citizen of or have lived as a legal resident and continue to have ties to that country. For example if you have Canadian LPR status, you can do CP in canada. However if you went to school/work in England 10 years ago and then left England for good, you probably cannot do CP there.