Consequenses of withdrawing N-400 naturalization application for my wife

gajaya

We got our green card after coming here on H1 my Wife was on H4 and never worked here.
We applied for naturalization N-400 and I just did the fingerprinting for both of us and now I am thinking one of us must remain a citizen of our country. And I wish I had not applied for my wife.

What if I withdrw her application at this point.?

1. What will be the consequences when she is going to apply it alone in the future when when she needs it?
2. Will the withdrawal become a negative effect when she apply next time.?
3.Next time when she applies does she has to apply based on the green card or based on the marriage? (She will be filing taxes and will remain here with me)

Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
my aunt never worked in u.s...she was a housewife........she just got naturalized...her husband has benn a citzen since13 yrs...

gajaya said:

We got our green card after coming here on H1 my Wife was on H4 and never worked here.
We applied for naturalization N-400 and I just did the fingerprinting for both of us and now I am thinking one of us must remain a citizen of our country. And I wish I had not applied for my wife.

What if I withdrw her application at this point.?

1. What will be the consequences when she is going to apply it alone in the future when when she needs it?
2. Will the withdrawal become a negative effect when she apply next time.?
3.Next time when she applies does she has to apply based on the green card or based on the marriage? (She will be filing taxes and will remain here with me)

My worries are.
1.She has not worked in USA will that make her not to get citizenship if she aplpied alone.?

Thanks for all the replies.

1 & 2. There shouldn't be any consequences or negative impact except that the IO may ask about it during the interview. She can simply give her reason for having withdrawn her earlier application
3. She can simply naturalize based on the fact that she has had her green card for more than 5 years (assuming that other conditions like continuous presence, etc. are also met).

Naturalization has nothing to do with employment. You might want to read the "Guide to Naturalization" found on the USCIS website to understand the eligibility rules: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/English.pdf

Sam

Thanks for your INTELLECTUAL INSIGHT

Why they are asking for the employer given the fact that Naturalization is not based on employment?

gajaya said:

Why they are asking for the employer given the fact that Naturalization is not based on employment?

1) Review. Naturalization is sort of "big inquiry and review" event. In other words, USCIS reviews your file and all the past actions and decisions and can question them and ask for more information. It is not uncommon for them to ask you to explain how did you get your previous visas, why, etc. Potentially, they are looking to find "bad moral character" (see if you lied in the past or if you are not telling truth during the interview)

Let's say (just as an illustration), that someone holding LPR committed aggrevated felony 3yrs ago and now he is trying to naturalize. Although, USCIS never contacted him in the past period regarding this felony, USCIS can start deportation proceeedings based on the review of naturalization documents if they feel that person is deportable.

Naturalization can trigger many unwanted things, too.

2) Organization check. Even if your GC is family-based, USCIS will ask for employment information. The reason is that they want to ensure that you did not work for "bad" companies involving illegal activites, potential support for criminial organizations, illiegal trade or violating US laws etc.

gajaya said:

it is just to keep track of ur past...wether u have been doing anything illegal to survive...