Consequence of rescheduling interview

brajac

Registered Users (C)
We are expecting our second child on Oct 21. I got the interview letter today for Oct 17 at 2 pm. Needless to mention I am contemplating a reschedule of the interview for my wife. But at the same time I am having second thoughts about it because we are returning to India permanently on Jan 8 (we have tickets). The rescheduled date is usually at least a month away. If it becomes too late she may not be able to get the US passport and PIO cards on time.

The other risk factor is the interview time. I am almost sure the oath will be on a different date since 2 pm is the cutoff for the same day oath ceremony. Usually the oath date is a month after the inverview. We can still get the US passport and PIO card done on time if the oath happens around Nov 20 and we get our naturalization certificates.

To me the options in order of desirability are -

(a) Talk to doctor and induce labor so that she gets discharged by Oct 15 to attend the interview on Oct 17. It will be difficult post partum but not terrible.
(b) Leave things as is and pray that the baby comes after Oct 17.
(c) Send a request for rescheduling the interview and hope that the rescheduled date is no later than a month away.

I don't think we should skip the scheduled date due to time pressure. It may sound like a personal decision but I would appreciate any feedback for my situation.

--------------------
06/20/2006 - Mail Dt
06/23/2006 - Rcvd Dt at VSC (88 days prior to 5yrs on GC)
06/23/2006 - Priority Dt
06/30/2006 - Notice Dt
07/07/2006 - Appl Receipt Rcvd
07/10/2006 - FP Letter Rcvd
07/28/2006 - FP Dt:
08/31/2006 - Case status disappeared online.
09/07/2006 - IV Letter Rcvd
10/17/2006 - Interview at 2 pm
?????????? - Oath Dt

Two points:

1) When I missed my FP appointment and had to reschedule, I got much better results from USCIS by visiting them, rather than writing. You might want to think about doing both. I recognise that an interview appointment is much more significant/complex than FP.

2) I read somewhere the following ...

Denaturalization. If a naturalized citizen takes up permanent residence in a foreign country within one year of naturalization, it shall be taken as evidence of lack of intention to establish permanent residence in the U.S.

You might want to post a message on this topic to get some validation. See a lawyer if things get complex.

rwsh said:

Denaturalization. If a naturalized citizen takes up permanent residence in a foreign country within one year of naturalization, it shall be taken as evidence of lack of intention to establish permanent residence in the U.S.

Thanks for your response. Could you please elaborate where you got the denaturalization clause? I have read postings on this forum that once a citizen, always a citizen.

If I would you I would deffinately contact a lawyer....

I had similar experience. I got a letter on August 31 that stated that i failed to appear for the interview that was held on august 23. xa-xa. I never received the actual letter with date and time. Funny:)) not realy i was crying :))) I went to Federal Plaza to ask what i should do. Filled out some paper and asked to reschedule my interview date. The lady told me that next interviews will be held in november. So she said that i have to wait 1-2 month for the next letter. When i came back home i wrote another letter asking to reschedule my appointment and send it to Federal Plaza. ( i find letters very helpful, when imissed my FP date i got the response from them in 2 weeks after i sent them my letter) I don't want to suggest anything ( not to make it worse:)) ) But good luck anyway and please let us know what you will decide to do!!!

K.

I thought this rule was in the past. I think you need to reside in the US when you are a PR. Tell me if I am wrong on this one?

I was in the same situation and did not receive my initial interview letter but received the 2nd letter that I missed my interview. I wrote a letter to the local office and at the same time got info pass appt and in the appt i told the officer that I sent a letter for rescheduling and the officer asked me to write a request for recheduling on a balnk paper and handed it to them which i did.

I received a response letter withen 2 weeks after that.

I recommend not to miss and not to reschedule appts unless you really have too.

good luck to all.

I had to reschedule my wife's interview in Newark also because the interview date was 15 days after my wife's due date. I figured that 15 days would be too short a time for her to recover and go for the interview and oath, which could last anywhere from 3-5 hours. I sent a letter to the Newark office requesting postponing the interview by a month. I received 2 letters back from the DO - one stating the receipt of my request to reschedule and another the rescheduled interview letter. They rescheduled her interview by exactly a month.

Lets be clear, there is NO REQUIREMENT to reside in the US after taking the oath and becoming a citizen. The one year post-citizenship thing used to be one of the rules, but was abolished years ago.

As regards rescheduling interviews - my advice, don't do it unless your wife is actually in labor on the day of the interview! We had similar situation with my wife and her scheduled oath ceremony, but our baby came several weeks early, so we still made the date. Rescheduling is a pain, and with you already being on a schedule to depart the US, you are asking for trouble with future dates.

I will suggest keep this date for interview, if baby comes early then you have good reason to reschedule and ask for 1 month extension, is good time to recover.

But if you go 10/17 4 days of delivery date it will be very stressful, travelling and waiting. some times waiting is few hours even you reach before time. I belive you may request prompt attention from interview officer, either calling them or talking to them when you reach there.

rwsh said:
Two points:

You might want to post a message on this topic to get some validation. See a lawyer if things get complex.

There is no such denaturalization clause anymore. It used to be there, but it was removed in 1996. After becoming a US citizen, you are free to live anywhere in the world, just make sure you file US income taxes on your worldwide taxes every year.